Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Still charging...
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I am sure this has been asked 100 times before, but I can't find the details? :whistle:

Lots talk about price increases, and specification changes (or facelift) for model S - when you place your deposit I understand you then have a period to configure your car in the configurator, then the order get's locked at some point as it would with any other brand as it goes off to be built.

I can see the stories of people getting the re-designed wheel's, the new centre console etc etc, without knowing - so clearly Tesla just build with what is on hand, as old stock is depleted new features/design is cut in.

If you stick down a deposit now - at what point is the "order" in the traditional sense accepted/processed so the price and config are locked in?

·
Registered
233 Posts
You get the price that at the time the deposit is paid. If you haven't paid a deposit then the price isn't locked in and will change.

What isn't clear is what happens when you edit a design after paying the deposit when the price has increased between the deposit payment and the edit....

I was told today that the prices will go up at 3pm tomorrow (12th April) so if you're thinking about it, now would be the time to throw down the deposit, even if you later decide to cancel.

I'm waiting to see what the changes are and if I'll get the updated design or not... unfortunately sales can't tell me because UK sales are briefing in advance of any spec changes - they've told me they find out when we do!

·
Still charging...
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, after some poking around I now found the T&C's... https://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/order/download-order-agreement?country=GB - you can cancel and get deposit returned inside 2 weeks it seems.

I note it says:
1. Vehicle Configuration: The Vehicle Configuration describes the vehicle that you have ordered and includes pricing of the vehicle. The Vehicle Configuration may be updated from time to time, subject to the terms below.
2. Final Price Sheet: The Final Price Sheet will be provided to you as your delivery date nears. It will include final pricing based on your final Vehicle Configuration.
3. Terms & Conditions: These Terms & Conditions are effective as of the date you place your order and apply to this transaction.
Its a bit ambiguous though what the "terms below" are if the pricing changes.

Definitely need LED headlights on a £60K car...

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
Point 1+2 clearly gives them the option to increase the final price. I will be surprised if Tesla would have the good will to just overlook at 7% increase in price + provide a facelifted car. But worth a go if your up for it :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Point 1+2 clearly gives them the option to increase the final price. I will be surprised if Tesla would have the good will to just overlook at 7% increase in price + provide a facelifted car. But worth a go if your up for it :)
Bumping up the price AFTER you have paid a deposit is dubious at best. I'm sure if they asked you for more then you could ask for your deposit back. However you also can't be upset if they give you the older spec vehicle... I'm pretty sure if you edit the design after paying the deposit - that is what those terms are designed to cover. e.g. you order it, get the order confirmation etc, then decide you did actually want HiDef Audio and add it. Of course the way they've worded it does leave it a little open, but they'd be on shaky ground.

·
Still charging...
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gzoom said:
I will be surprised if Tesla would have the good will to just overlook at 7% increase in price + provide a facelifted car. But worth a go if your up for it :)
That transparent a plan? ;)

All I actually need is glass roof for roofrack option (bikes), probably go better seats as well so would not need to edit the order. Guess it depends what constitues an accepted order and firm contract of sale.

7% eh? That would kill it for me, would have to wait 3 years probably till all the Model
3's actually start to arrive and MS get swapped in.

·
Registered
233 Posts
7% eh? That would kill it for me, would have to wait 3 years probably till all the Model
3's actually start to arrive and MS get swapped in.
I'm really pushing it myself - but so want a Model S. Effectively its an extra £5k on the price, as they said it is 7.9% on one phone call I had. It would be take off some options or give up on the idea for me.

We shall see what happens tomorrow I guess. Speaking to sales tomorrow afternoon to discuss things and see how they view it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The way you buy a Model S is that you go to the design studio, choose options, give them your details and card information, and press "Go!".

At that point a £2k charge is taken from your card, the prices (and possible set of options) you see in the design studio are fixed for 14 days, and you have 14 days to adjust the config or cancel for a refund.

If during that 14 day period the prices go up yours stay the same.
If they go down yours stay the same (but you can just cancel, get a refund, and restart).
If during the 14 day period they announce a P100D and a ventilated seat option those do not appear your personal design studio (but ditto you can simply cancel and restart).

After 14 days the config becomes firm and at that point your £2k is not refundable and your car goes into the build queue.

If you want to change your config after the 14 day period, Tesla are usually pretty amenable to it, especially if it's to add new options and increase the price.

However if you change your config in this way, after the 14d has expired, then your whole car will be repriced to the current design studio pricing, which could mean a big price hike.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
If during the 14 day period they announce a P100D and a ventilated seat option those do not appear your personal design studio (but ditto you can simply cancel and restart).
But then you'd lose the benefit of the price being fixed at the old level of course...

·
Still charging...
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mgboyles, sounds like prics locks once deposit down, unless you change config. Personally cant aford P100D but I get the principle there could be extra options I did want.

Confusing... tempting...

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Two ways to look at this:

1) Put the deposit down and get exactly what you paid for. So the current feature set and looks.

MAYBE you will be lucky and get a better car, but this would purely be because it's easier for Tesla to run it down the production line that way. (This is what happened with the AutoPilot cars). Personally I think they won't do this again. They came under a lot of flak over this, and I think they are growing up enough to know that giving unexpected freebies of this level of materiality causes upset with existing owners/reservation holders.

2) Wait and put down a deposit after the changes are officially announced. Be guaranteed the latest tech, but you will pay the premium.

The real question is will you have that niggly feeling in the back of your mind for the next X years wishing you'd spent just a little more for what is likely a more desirable car.

·
Still charging...
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally decided to wait and see what happens today with the price rumour increases, the CPO's are not getting any cheaper so factory order is an option but over time I would hope that changes - then its a clearer choice for the latest at the latest price or the older model CPO for a saving.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Interestingly the residuals went down in the last two weeks, so the PCP rates increased. I guess they are either just adjusting based on CPO sale rates or expecting the new model to be significantly more desirable for some reason.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
@Trikkitt kit It might not be because the new model is likely to be miles better...

My hunch is the P85s are struggling to meet residual targets. The 90D is a frankly a better car and puts a ceiling on the residual values.

With the P cars making up a big chunk of the original UK sales mix, this will no doubt make the actuaries nervous as this data trickles in, and they could have simply revised their predictions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts