EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
764 Posts
Fantastic news. This seems so simple - I wonder why it's taken so long!

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
55 Posts
I'd love to know a cost breakdown of chargers. You'd think this Kempower solution would be great for someone like Gridserve who want to expand sites rapidly on weaker grid connections. One massive charger then multiple (I assume cheaper) nodes on the spaces.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
415 Posts
You'd think this Kempower solution would be great for someone like Gridserve who want to expand sites rapidly on weaker grid connections.
It seems to be quite a new device, so for all we know Gridserve might use it in the future.
Gridserve also have also used onsite battery storage to achieve a similar effect.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was very impressed when I first saw these chargers on the TB channel. Think he first showed them last year. It's a great design to prevent the cable dragging on the ground. That video shows how they load share. Very clever design. Yes you'd think UK networks would be looking seriously at it. I think it's CCS only, so will upset the Leaf and Zoe groups. They definitely would need to whack some 22kW posts as a bolt on.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,737 Posts
I was very impressed when I first saw these chargers on the TB channel. Think he first showed them last year. It's a great design to prevent the cable dragging on the ground. That video shows how they load share. Very clever design. Yes you'd think UK networks would be looking seriously at it. I think it's CCS only, so will upset the Leaf and Zoe groups. They definitely would need to whack some 22kW posts as a bolt on.
You're incorrect about the connections. Kempower S-Series chargers (which these are) can be had as 1xCCS, 2x CCS, CCS/22kW AC, CCS/CHAdeMo, or 2x 22kW AC.

Full specs in their brochure - https://kempower.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/kempower-s-series-general-brochure-A4-eng.pdf

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gridserve also have also used onsite battery storage to achieve a similar effect.
The Gridserve battery fulfils quite a different role. It allows arbitrage of energy (buy cheap, sell high) and allows providing more energy than the grid connection could handle. But it doesn't allow dynamic allocation of power to different chargers. For a great explainer see the following very informative video by Plug Life Television:

I think this is exactly what the rapid charging market needs at the moment. I've been to busy sites like Exeter services recently with multiple vehicles at around 80% to 90% SOC 'hogging' chargers and making others wait.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
415 Posts
The Gridserve battery fulfils quite a different role. It allows arbitrage of energy (buy cheap, sell high) and allows providing more energy than the grid connection could handle. But it doesn't allow dynamic allocation of power to different chargers.
Correct. But what it also does is allow a total charger power capacity greater than the power available from the grid at that location. It's possible to have all the chargers going at full power simultaneously for limited periods of time, something the Kempower system cannot do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts