Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this email:

Dear MotMot

I wanted to take this opportunity to notify you of an increase to our prices that will be applied across the Osprey network in the coming weeks and some changes to the VAT treatment of account customers.

As of 9th August 2021, our pay-as-you-go price per kWh will increase to a level in line with the UK rapid charging market.

Clarification on VAT rates for public EV charging

In May, HMRC confirmed that a VAT rate of 20% should be applied to all public EV charging. Osprey, along with many other networks, had previously applied a VAT rate of 5% to its Account customers under the ‘de minimis’ provision. As a result of this confirmation, we are now obliged to charge the full VAT rate of 20% to all our customers.

What does this mean for Account members

As we communicated in May, we held the price at 31p for our Account members for the interim period whilst we confirmed our new pricing structure, as a thank you for your loyal custom to date.

Due to the VAT clarification, we are not able to offer this VAT saving to our Account members going forward, and therefore as of 2nd August our price to Account members will be the same as for our PAYG customers.

Account members will still enjoy access to the app and RFID charging sessions, charging history and VAT receipts.

In the future, we will be bringing in a new usage bonus scheme under which high volume customers will be able to enjoy a discount to the PAYG rate.

We thank you for your support and look forward to the journey ahead with you.

Kind regards,

Ian Johnston
CEO - Osprey Charging

·
Registered
225 Posts
A quick glance at my nearest Osprey rapid on Zap Map shows
Yes, that had me scratching my head. How can it be cheaper with an additional intermediary? Maybe they factored in a cost saving for not having to pay the physical card processing fees?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, that had me scratching my head. How can it be cheaper with an additional intermediary? Maybe they factored in a cost saving for not having to pay the physical card processing fees?
Their website says 36p, which is what it has been for a while (sans app). Electric Juice says the same amount.

The 40p may be an error, or perhaps it is being increased to that, they just haven't done it yet and Zap-Map jumped the gun?

edit - actually the email does say PAYG is going up from the 9th, so Zap-Map updating their info early is quite likely. That doesn't explain why Zap-Pay is still 36p though!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,560 Posts
Osprey was 36p discounted to 31p if using the app, which was the vat discount. As they officially can’t do this any more it’s 36p unless they’re price goes up. Some talk of a high volume discount for heavy users, which would likely require use of the app.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
652 Posts
Disappointing increase. I note that the MPs committee on EV charging recently said that public charging prices should be fair to assist this who cannot charge at home. Now 'Fair' is open to debate but my view is that charging companies should be in the business of pile it high and sell it cheap, Gridserve are probably the bar at which the level is set 30p on motorways and cheaper elsewhere. The fragmented nonsense of competition in England is part of the problem, better overall planning could have saved a lot of wasted money... maybe.

We have the choice to vote with our plugs, Osprey will go to the bottom of my list, well no penultimate; Ionity hold the bottom place. Not seen much news of their expansion in the UK, no USP no business at that price.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,460 Posts
Home electricity is 16p a kWh and some folk are paying a bit more. I think anything under 40p a kWh is reasonable now. Home charging is always going to be cheaper but if the installation costs were amortised into the total cost then I wonder how many low mileage users would actually be paying quite a bit more than they thought? Some folk have had to fork out hundreds for a home charger.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,560 Posts
How electricity is, currently, about 19-20p with some people paying more.

This move by Osprey was inevitable to be honest. They’re still cheaper than Instavolt… and they offer AC charging.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,853 Posts
It's a shame but inevitable - demand is growing so much now that they only sensible response is to increase prices because you simply can't install more chargers fast enough.

People frankly need to stop buying EVs on the basis that they can only ever rapid charge them and still save money compared to a petrol car. The infrastructure is incredibly expensive and it's ultimately a false economy.

I honestly think we are at the point now where what is actually needed is a vast increase in the low power charging network - because we are definitely at the point in some places where rapid chargers cannot cope with the demand from people who can't - or can't be bothered to - charge at home...

Reactions: rossnruss

·
Registered
520 Posts
Follow up email:

40p from 9th August for PAYG, and from 1st September for registered users

Following on from my earlier email I am writing to confirm an increase in our prices that will be applied across the Osprey network, and to our account members, in the coming weeks.

From 9th August 2021, our pay-as-you-go price per kWh will increase from the current level of 36 pence to the new price of 40 pence. This brings us in line with the UK rapid charging market. This will be rolled out across our chargepoints throughout the month of August.

To clarify, whilst my previous email stated that your price change would come into effect on the 2nd of August, we can confirm that we will hold the current Account price of 31 pence until the 1st of September.

From the 1st of September, the account member price will be 40 pence per kWh.

There are a number of factors that have led us having to make this increase at this moment in time.

UK Energy Prices are at a ten-year high

First and foremost, the UK and global energy markets are experiencing huge price increases, which also impacts our cost of electricity for the network. The price of electricity to Osprey has increased by 38% over the last 12 months. The 11% increase in our pricing helps us to continue to operate in the face of these market forces.

You can read more about the market trends in this helpful article from the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jun/23/millions-of-uk-homes-face-winter-energy-bill-hike-of-over-110-a-year-experts-say.

EV Driver demands are changing, and Osprey is responding at pace

As EV adoption increases sharply, drivers are now demanding bigger and better sites, with more chargers providing greater availability as well as large en-route sites providing high power charging. Osprey are responding to this rapidly, and in the coming months you will see us launch the first of many 6-8 charger hubs, with chargers ranging from 75kW up to 175kW.

Sites with a greater number of higher-power chargers need a significantly greater power infrastructure. As a result, the cost of a typical site has now increased by as much as ten times in some cases. We are committed to building the best sites in the best locations, and the price increase will allow us to continue to invest at this early stage in the market.

Clarification on VAT rates for public EV charging

HMRC confirmed in May that a VAT rate of 20% should be applied to all public EV charging. Osprey, along with many other networks, had previously applied a VAT rate of 5% to its Account customers under the ‘de minimis’ provision. As a result of this confirmation, we are now obliged to charge the full VAT rate of 20% to all our customers.

What does this mean for Account members?

Due to the VAT clarification, we are not able to offer this VAT saving to our Account members going forward, and therefore as of 1st September, our price to Account members will be the same as for our PAYG customers.

Account members will still enjoy access to app and RFID charging sessions, charging history, and VAT receipts.

In the future, we will be bringing in a new usage bonus scheme under which high volume customers will be able to enjoy a discount to the PAYG rate.

We thank you for your support and look forward to the journey ahead with you.

Kind regards,

Ian Johnston
CEO - Osprey Charging

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,507 Posts
honestly think we are at the point now where what is actually needed is a vast increase in the low power charging network
Yes - just made a similar point on another thread. There should be a big push by Government to see rows of AC charging being provided just about everywhere where cars get parked.

·
2,853 Posts
Yes - just made a similar point on another thread. There should be a big push by Government to see rows of AC charging being provided just about everywhere where cars get parked.
It's the only sensible way forward at this point. We need people to get in the habit of charging when parked, not rapid charging all the time.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
758 Posts
Interesting looking at their increasing electricity costs. I wonder who will be the first rapid provider to offer peak/ off-peak pricing. My money's on Gridserve.

·
2,853 Posts
Interesting looking at their increasing electricity costs. I wonder who will be the first rapid provider to offer peak/ off-peak pricing. My money's on Gridserve.
Interesting.

In a way I rather hope they don't, because at the moment the only way to reliably be able to get to a charger is to travel off peak. The last thing I want is all the people hogging chargers to all be doing so off peak making even more journeys harder!

• Haha
Reactions: rossnruss
1 - 18 of 18 Posts