Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
That's a good deal if you buy 50kWh per month from them, which I don't.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
App rate is 31p per kWh so it's saving only 6p a kWh so you'd have to need 84 kWh a month every month to save anything.

Don't know if you can allocate an RFID to the account.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They did have RFID cards for a while but I've not seen anywhere that you can do it but it would be a nice feature and make use of all the cards they had.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,171 Posts
More app nonsense. It must be down to this VAT anomaly where if you have a contract, you only pay 5% VAT. Can anyone confirm this and provide a link to the evidence.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
They did have RFID cards for a while but I've not seen anywhere that you can do it but it would be a nice feature and make use of all the cards they had.
They're part of Octopus Energy's "Electric Juice" scheme. If you're with them you can request an Octopus RFID card that'll work on Osprey (also Alfa Power, Hubsta, Char.gy, Franklin LiFe & Plug-n-go) & add the charging fees onto your home electric bill.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
543 Posts
(also Alfa Power, Hubsta, Char.gy, Franklin LiFe & Plug-n-go)
The disparate nature of the UK charging network laid bare in one set of brackets! I have never heard of half of those.

Is it just me that looks forward to the day when there is a 'big 4' in the charging world when all these shitty little companies get eaten up or die and we can perhaps get a bit of consistency to the charging experience?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The disparate nature of the UK charging network laid bare in one set of brackets! I have never heard of half of those.

Is it just me that looks forward to the day when there is a 'big 4' in the charging world when all these shitty little companies get eaten up or die and we can perhaps get a bit of consistency to the charging experience?
Yes, as when that happens prices will be much higher.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
The ones you haven't heard of are on-street charging networks, like a smaller Ubitricity.
I think the ones I listed are Octopus wholesale customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More app nonsense. It must be down to this VAT anomaly where if you have a contract, you only pay 5% VAT. Can anyone confirm this and provide a link to the evidence.
Hi EdH

How does this work? Not sure I see how you can avoid VAT?

Niall

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I wish I knew. It was mentioned on another thread. VAT at 5% if you have a contract vs 20% if you just pay at the time of charging with no membership. I have absolutely no idea whether this is true, but if you find out please post your findings on this thread.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thank you - not really a surprise an probably better for all in the long run.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
@RiddellNiall Interesting to note that Instavolt put up their prices today specifically mentioning the VAT clarification. So it looks like they were paying 5%.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But, if your paying a subscription is that a way around it then as that is technically a private offering not a public one? another way to help keep subscription prices down for those that need to use the points a lot.

Tesla has been including 20% for a long time now but i suppose as its a closed private network they could maybe wangle 5% for owners...

·
Registered
BMW i3
410 Posts
Just setup the app - 31p/kWh instead of 36p/kWh contactless, will be my network of choice (for now at least!) seeing that Instavolt are up to 40p/kWh!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts