Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
155 Posts
German VW site configurator shows new ID.3 Pure DC charging at 110kW and Pro at 120kW so I hope this is included in this OTA...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had an update this morning. The update suggested I did not drive the car during the update but did not give me any other information. I connected the car to wifi and started the update but nothing much has happened. I'll check later on this morning.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
635 Posts
I had an update this morning. The update suggested I did not drive the car during the update but did not give me any other information. I connected the car to wifi and started the update but nothing much has happened. I'll check later on this morning.
Interesting!
How were you notified that there was an update?

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
635 Posts
There was nothing in notification but a service menu appeared with an option to start the upgrade. I pressed update but nothing much happened. I should have taken a picture :mad:
Let’s hope it’s not a bug! Surprised we’ve heard nothing about any impending OTA update.

·
Registered
VW id3 Style
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the 1st OTA update for the VW ID3 is coming very soon - per Battery Life. Anyone know any more details re: timing and possible content?
I hope I haven't started a "wild goose chase" discussion thread on the OTA ...... hopefully Battery Life (Chris?) is correct and that it is imminent. For me the ID 3 overall is an excellent car but is not without its shortcomings - no car is perfect. On the software side here are some potential changes I think that might be significant improvements........
1. Increase Regen further (I think regen was increased as part of 2.1 update - did others notice this?)
2. Reduce kWh taken from battery as part of BMS heating of battery in temps < 8 degrees C
3. Software tweaks to speed up response times of info system at start up and during use
4. Short cut buttons for disabling lane assist/others?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,834 Posts
I don’t think you’ll see number 4, it’s an NCAP requirement that it’s not easily disabled now.

Number 2 might happen once VW have some more data around long term battery health etc.

·
Registered
VW id3 Style
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t think you’ll see number 4, it’s an NCAP requirement that it’s not easily disabled now.

Number 2 might happen once VW have some more data around long term battery health etc.
On no. 4 agree with you on safety grounds. Not an issue for me really but heard others complaining about it. I suppose it depends on the roads you normally travel on
On no. 2 - again agreed. VW shouldn't change the BMS settings if they really think it will cause battery health problems. I suppose I'm challenging how they set up the parameters in the 1st place ( at less than 8deg use x kWh to heat). Prior to the ID 3 I had the e golf ....... which has no battery heating - yet is guaranteed by VW for 8 years to 70% SOH.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I hope I haven't started a "wild goose chase" discussion thread on the OTA ...... hopefully Battery Life (Chris?) is correct and that it is imminent. For me the ID 3 overall is an excellent car but is not without its shortcomings - no car is perfect. On the software side here are some potential changes I think that might be significant improvements........
1. Increase Regen further (I think regen was increased as part of 2.1 update - did others notice this?)
2. Reduce kWh taken from battery as part of BMS heating of battery in temps < 8 degrees C
3. Software tweaks to speed up response times of info system at start up and during use
4. Short cut buttons for disabling lane assist/others?
You forgot another...wing mirror adjustment switch to remember where it last was so you don't have to select L every journey to get kerb mirror dip.

I wonder whether there's a balancing act for no 4? If people want to switch it off and employing such a convoluted way in itself to deter causes an unsafe distraction for those who do switch it off, you'd think they'd not want to make it too hard to switch off, on safety grounds.

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
On no. 4 agree with you on safety grounds. Not an issue for me really but heard others complaining about it. I suppose it depends on the roads you normally travel on
On no. 2 - again agreed. VW shouldn't change the BMS settings if they really think it will cause battery health problems. I suppose I'm challenging how they set up the parameters in the 1st place ( at less than 8deg use x kWh to heat). Prior to the ID 3 I had the e golf ....... which has no battery heating - yet is guaranteed by VW for 8 years to 70% SOH.
Yes, ex e-Golf owned here as well, I’m sure they’ll be looking at the battery heating thing as a few reviewers have mentioned it. They still might do nothing though.

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
You forgot another...wing mirror adjustment switch to remember where it last was so you don't have to select L every journey to get kerb mirror dip.
Thing is, if they did that, I’d need to unselect it when I selected reverse but didn’t want the mirror dip, like reversing out of a parking space.

It’s 6 of one and half a dozen of the other for me!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thing is, if they did that, I’d need to unselect it when I selected reverse but didn’t want the mirror dip, like reversing out of a parking space.

It’s 6 of one and half a dozen of the other for me!
9 times out of 10, when I reverse I either want the dip, or don't mind the dip. When reversing out of a space I'm far more reliant on my rear parking sensors than my passenger wing mirror. It's my only real inconvenience with the car, and it's a small one I'll admit (the wife's moaning about the issue when she's driving is worse than my experience of the issue when I'm driving).

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
I drive not only with all the assists but on Travel Assist nearly all the time, I've no idea what people's beef is with the assist, but I'm not opening that can of worms, it's just modern cars in general which err on the side of false positives, for obvious reasons. It won't change much, it's an NCAP thing.

Regen is much better in 2.1. I don't have a problem with that either, I think people need to get with the philosophy of the car which is that it coasts, unless it detects an area you need to slow down. And B mode is fairly punchy, but not aggressive. I think it's a design choice. You're still recovering the same amount of energy for the amount you slow down. I don't find I use brakes much especially with Travel Assist/ACC doing the work for me coming up to lights etc. Different cars have different approaches. It's not much different to how different cars have different gearbox gearing traditionally, really.

The NUMBER ONE thing I want is driver profiles. It is daft to have electric seats and electric mirrors and they don't switch between drivers.

·
Registered
VW id3 Style
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I drive not only with all the assists but on Travel Assist nearly all the time, I've no idea what people's beef is with the assist, but I'm not opening that can of worms, it's just modern cars in general which err on the side of false positives, for obvious reasons. It won't change much, it's an NCAP thing.

Regen is much better in 2.1. I don't have a problem with that either, I think people need to get with the philosophy of the car which is that it coasts, unless it detects an area you need to slow down. And B mode is fairly punchy, but not aggressive. I think it's a design choice. You're still recovering the same amount of energy for the amount you slow down. I don't find I use brakes much especially with Travel Assist/ACC doing the work for me coming up to lights etc. Different cars have different approaches. It's not much different to how different cars have different gearbox gearing traditionally, really.

The NUMBER ONE thing I want is driver profiles. It is daft to have electric seats and electric mirrors and they don't switch between drivers.
Glad to hear about Regen - that it just wasn't my imagination.
So far we have........
1. More Regen - maybe
2. Reduce rate of battery heating in cold (< 8 deg) - provided not a significant impact on battery state of health
3. Software tweaks to improve response times of info display
4. More Short Cut buttons for lane assist (maybe not)/other applications (e.g. 1 button press for seat heating?
5. Higher DC Charge Rates
6. Wing mirror dip switch
7. Proper working charge timer
8. Driver profiles
9. Better communication by VW to owners on important developments like OTAs' (new one added by me)
I propose we should send a finalised wishlist by email to Herr Brandstaetter ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts