Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just reading about the Quasar bi-directional charger by Wallbox that can do V2H/V2G.
It also has gesture control and facial recognition. Not sure how useful the former would be but the latter got me thinking, if you have an electrical device that is mains powered and connected to your home WiFi network, what additional functionality could it offer.

The immediate thing that came to mind was as a CCTV camera. Ok , it might not be a substitute for a proper camera, especially as it also depends on positioning of where it’s installed.

What else could it do?
Motion/dusk sensor operated light?

EV Chargers need to set themselves apart (aside from Smart/PV stuff)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
EV Chargers need to set themselves apart
Since they are just a glorified power outlet why would they need to be any more 'apart' than 13A sockets are from each other? For the latter there are the cheap and suspect or the 'reputable' makes. I think it is or will be the same for EVSEs.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it’s a market that is nowhere near as mature as as standard 13amp sockets.
Even with sockets there’s a multitude of options from finishes to switches, to USB ports etc.
Most people already know what kind of socket they want.

There will be a lot of new entrants innovating and also a lot of people buying first time so many will be researching what’s available and what features they get.

For many, given the cost, they’ll be happy with rock bottom cheapest outlay. But that’s why it’s a market to cater for all.
So go forth and innovate and glorify I say.
Since they are just a glorified power outlet why would they need to be any more 'apart' than 13A sockets are from each other? For the latter there are the cheap and suspect or the 'reputable' makes. I think it is or will be the same for EVSEs.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
There will be a lot of new entrants innovating and also a lot of people buying first time so many will be researching what’s available and what features they get.
From the posts I've seen on here from new entrants, most of them seem to to be along the lines of "How much?!?".
I agree there will be some market for gold plated jobs, but as with the cost of EVs themselves there is a big pressure to get prices down for the majority who just want a box on the side of the house that works reliably.
It'll also be interesting to see if any of the established electrical brands (MK/Honeywell, Schneider, etc,) start to get in on the market - if they aren't already.

·
Registered
308 Posts
From the posts I've seen on here from new entrants, most of them seem to to be along the lines of "How much?!?".
Quite and the prices look vastly inflated when you break down the chargepoint and compare the components to similar items. The sockets and cables are hugely more expensive than IEC60309 type sockets and plugs (industrial/welding sockets) and the control modules, despite being a pretty basic technology are expensive. It hasn't been helped by the almost constant changing of the standards and UK wiring regulations, which get revised and added to at every year or two.

I reckon the ultimate design will be a basic, modularised charge point with some control coming from the smart meter, with a standardised design and installation arrangement, something which any electrician will be able to fit, maintain and repair and which will be standardised enough that parts are interchangeable and can be replaced.

Ultimately it is just a socket or plug with some control.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
192 Posts
It's not a bad idea, it could be an idea to even have a standard 13a covered socket built into them, just to use garden tools or even for visiting EVs to charge on their granny charger, etc more safely. But would add to the cost of the point (presumably would need load balancing protection) so would likely be cheaper just to install an outside socket anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts