Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
About an hour later on one descent we saw the most amazing thing - recharging rate just climbing and climbing. Normally in the UK my kona hovers around 4 (down to 3.3 in winter and up to 4.5 in summer. When I saw it go up to 16m/kwh I thought this was ridiculous.
Did it ever stop counting (when the battery wasn't full)? We found there was a limit to how high the number would go: Electric Roadtrip: Kona to California
--Julian

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've done this partly for my own satisfaction but also to help answer the questions around whether one needs to be concerned about the 64k battery. The simple answer is no, providing you start with enough battery power the Kona excels at predictability. We have driven the Kona up every hill or mountain we can find. We have driven the Kona as much as we have wanted each day - swapping drivers, and never once have we had a concern over our range.

Never once. Let that sink in. Never once.
I can second this, having driven my Kona over 700km and 800km, on several consecutive days of road trips. I've also routinely driven it at home a round trip distance over 400km, with one charge on the road. The 64kWh battery is just fine.

But that's because the Kona is a small car and very efficient. The Ioniq 5 is a larger car, and a larger battery, because it's not as efficient. So 64kWh may not be a big enough battery for every vehicle, but the Kona does really well with it.
--Julian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Firstly we never pushed the mileage, perhaps maximum of 200km per day. So with the kona easily able to do 300 perhaps 350km, even at motorway speeds we never put ourselves or the car to maximum stress.
I can second this. 350km is the max you want to ever plan on taking the Kona at highway speeds. It's better to go 200-250km and charge up from 10-20% to about 60-70% and then go another 200km or so. Better to give yourself some margin for error/problems, and keep your charging stops shorter too.
--Julian

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just watched a video by a Canadian journalist who loves the Ioniq 5 and ordered one after doing a 4000 km test. He proposes to keep the speed at or below 110 km/h. He still managed a 300 km range at temperatures well below zero. That is impressive.
I can tell you that in Canadian winters, a 100% charged Kona will go at least 300km, probably closer to 350. Depends exactly how much highway driving you do, and at what speed, and what temperature you set the cabin. But 300 is no problem at all. I've done round trips of 300 in the winter with no charging, and had range left over at the end.
--Julian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts