Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not if you are not resident in certain EU countries, and not including the UK. I know people have managed to get round this, but when I tried to register via the Tesla app I got myself in all sorts of problems, and don't think I'm properly registered, so although I might investigate given the opportunity, I won't be relying on them for any French route planning. The default of ABRP is to use them though..

·
Registered
980 Posts
On final final thought. Some of our accommodation costs aren't cheap. But to help offset these treats we don't eat out, rather pick up fruit and veg from supermarkets and have a coolbox permanently plugged into the 12v socket. Before we left home I made 9 pots of hummus and today I finished off the last one.
Ooh, eating out is one of my pleasures, as much as I like a good picnic. As for hummus, Spanish customs are obviously laxer than French ones who, according to my campervan friends, are very rigorous in not letting any food and drink through. What range of accommodation costs have you encountered? Does anyone know how much a small tent would be at a campsite?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not sure how expensive Portuguese toll roads are but you should try the €16,80 for Aosta to Torino, and add on around another €10 to get up to the Monte Bianco tunnel! If you are going anywhere near the centre of Torino getting the train is the obvious choice.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I like to keep a day's driving limited to 600 km. Meaning that reaching a destination some 1000 km away may take two or even three days. I hate driving. My mind cannot do anything interesting while driving, you need to stay focused on it. Having to top up every 150 km is a tad too much for long distance, it keeps me in the driving mode 2 hours more if I'm lucky and find a working and free DC charger every time. I would have to cut the drive in more pieces and cover 450 km per day... Once at destination though, everything would be fine, the drives are limited. Just a bit too soon... that is not what the e-208 is made for... I believe 400 km range @ 130 km/h is where the tipping point may be for some.
It certainly helps being on your own, no debates on what to do, no grumpy passengers. Your e-208 has a greater range than my MG, aren't your figures slightly pessimistic if you can start the day with nigh on 100% charge, but I still intend to go to the Aosta valley in it. It's a trip I know well and in the past sometimes done in a day, with the occasional stop to turn off the engine of my ageing Fiesta/Fabia/i20 for some blessed relief from the noise and concentration, and a snooze. When I have stopped overnight it's been around your 600km mark, and with the MG current thinking is around 500km and stopping at Beaune. I imagine with the more comfortable drive and enforced stops one would be fresher even if the day in "driving mode" is longer.

Another stop, a la Andy, would change the character of the trip, but none the worse for that, but it's Italy I love and where my friends are, so hopefully just the one night stop. In all my trips I've never pre-booked a hotel until well into the day's journey and the only time time constraints have come into play was making the ferry. Perhaps one day I'll blog the trip as I've found Andy's interesting and informative: without any tales of charging mishaps, I would hope!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks for your posts. Perhaps whilst Mike is still in the do-do (I've been reading..) you could comment on the Portsmouth - Caen ferry route? How slick was it with immigration etc.? I live just outside Portsmouth so could get there and still have a very high percentage, but the cost of the route is pretty high and I've also been looking at the cheaper Newhaven - Dieppe. It's so nice though to arrive back at Portsmouth and once through immigration be home in 15 minutes!

With my range I wouldn't be bothering with 130K in a vehicle as inefficient as the MG, and as others have pointed out on this thread there are some large areas of France with few alternative/back up options other than 7kW, which isn't too helpful getting to Italy in two days. I need to do some more controlled experiments on eking out range, as most of what I do is well within range even with a load and a heavy foot. Perhaps some of my longer 40/50 mile trips with one leg on cruise control and drafting to do some comparisons.

I'm a complete omnivore (never eaten in a McDo though..) but how about artichokes for your list of vegan dishes: Carciofi a la romana? I've a plant on my allotment which yields me a few meals every year.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Depends how long they have been saving for..;-) My previous car cost £4k, the one before that 4000 euros in Italy, and before that similar cheap 4+ year old cars largely. But spending savings before I can't any longer seems a good idea! Who knows when that will be but I'm playing in goal at a football tournament on Sunday, under protest because usually I'm a (slow) forward, so still reasonably fit.

This has been a useful thread - I've just revisted Chargemap and I'm sure the route planning wasn't there last time. A couple of general observations.. I'm not that wealthy so my compromise is an early MG ZS, so even less range to play with, and yes, getting to Italy will take some planning especially if avoiding expensive Ionity.. Coming back from near Monte Bianco I've always done an overnight stop without pre-booking a hotel and perhaps that might change. If push comes to shove I can always spend a few hours on a 7kW to make sure of getting to a faster charger, and then keep going later into the night. I'll probably be going slower in my EV for efficiency's sake, but suspect it won't be as tiring as my previous buzz boxes were.

I have an Electric Juice card which covers a good and expanding number of companies. I note Duferco is now on their list which will be useful for Italy. With allego, Ionity, freshmile etc. they are definitely worth considering if you have an Octopus account.

·
Registered
980 Posts
…. hmmm… and I see your AC is limited to 6.6 kW. That is 3 times slower than 22kW, again… why do car builders condemn their customers to expensive DC Fast charging? With 200 km range, using AC will be a relaxing slow experience…
Except that in the UK there aren't so many 22kW AC chargers and they aren't cheaper nor do many other cars have it either. Using AC in France for me also suffers the same issues as you note in your last post of not getting the full benefit when paying by the minute. I believe there is a move to kWh charging from this month so the situation may improve a bit? What is surprising is that there are still quite a number of free charging points in certain departements in mid-France where I have been looking.

Paying by the minute doesn't give the charge companies any incentive to improve badly performing chargers; it's quite to their benefit in fact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts