Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Could you clarify something for me please? Tesla chargers. I understood that Tesla chargers used the chademo connector, apart from being only for Tesla cars. Am I wrong? Are they now usable for Konas as well?

Lawrence
Tesla have never used the Chademo connector.

In North America they have their own proprietary connector which isn't similar to any connector used by other EVs.

Outside North America (except China where they use the Chinese standard connector) they originally used a modified form of the type 2 Mennekes connector that we all use for AC charging. The Mennekes specification actually allows for DC charging as well so Tesla implemented DC charging through Mennekes even though nobody else ever did. Tesla also changed the length of the control pin slightly so that Teslas would work with existing Mennekes AC chargers but other cars wouldn't work with Tesla connectors.

Then with the model 3 and later Tesla switched to type 2 CCS so they are compatible and can use any type 2 AC or DC chargers. Older Tesla superchargers have both the modified Mennekes DC connector and the CCS connector. More recent superchargers only have CCS.

I'm sure I'll have got some of that wrong but basically in a nutshell you can use any CCS connector on a Tesla supercharger at any of the 15 sites they opened for the UK pilot. You can't use the one that looks like an AC connector if there is one and you can't use the sites that aren't in the pilot (most aren't).

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
is there any mapping that shows these where all EVs can use?
Either install the Tesla app and you can search the map, or some of the third party maps have now been updated to know about the sites Tesla has made available.
Plant World Nature Natural environment Branch

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
The chargemap app and website can both filter for including or excluding tesla, super or dest.
But can it filter for Tesla supercharger in the non-Tesla pilot? I couldn't see that option.

Zap-map can filter on Tesla public supercharger or Tesla-only supercharger but only covers the UK.
I think ABRP knows which Tesla's I can use, at least it started suggested them in routes.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Are the French Tesla-but-ok-for-others ---- are these now working for UK drivers ?
Yes, if you live in the UK and sign up for the non-Tesla pilot scheme you can use the public chargers in any country that is in the pilot.
Mind you they are not cheap.
Doesn't sound too bad if you pay for a single month subscription then cancel.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
One thing I do remember. When we had the Zoë on Madeira, the hotel manager offered us to charge the car for free at the hotel using his granny charger. He had a BMW 225e. The granny charger refused to charge the Zoë. The Zoë was not provided with a Granny charger, just a Type 2 cable.

Every public charger on Madeira we put the Zoë on worked. So I must assume not all grannys are built the same...
Didn't the early Zoe have a minimum charge rate that was higher than a granny could supply? I seem to remember something of the sort though as I've never had one I don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts