Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,180 Posts
I've looked a bit further on Chademo. France is withdrawing the mandatory requirement for new chargers to have Chademo. Nissan's new cars, like the Ariya, for sales in EU are CCS! So it seems owners of Chademo ported EVs will soon have to by an adapter... Not so in the US, where the new 2023 Leaf still has Chademo. That is probably a reflection of US being more "liberal" and not pushing for standardization as much as EU is doing ...
Does an adapter exist? It won't be simple or cheap to make, for one thing it will likely need its own power supply given the difference in the way that the two protocols conduct the start up checks. I think the most likely thing CHAdeMO drivers will need is a new car.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,180 Posts
One thing I do remember. When we had the Zoë on Madeira, the hotel manager offered us to charge the car for free at the hotel using his granny charger. He had a BMW 225e. The granny charger refused to charge the Zoë. The Zoë was not provided with a Granny charger, just a Type 2 cable.

Every public charger on Madeira we put the Zoë on worked. So I must assume not all grannys are built the same...
More łikely, not all hotels are adequately earthed according to the very exacting standards that the Zoe demands.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,180 Posts
You think ? Well, I have the opposite experience with the e-208.

When we first had it, we were using only the granny charger delivered with the car. I put it in a socket on our garden house. It was very happy and charging away.

Then I decided to get an EVSE and purchased the OpenEVSE kit from the OpenEnergyMonitor gang (UK). I stuck it in the same socket and... it reported "no ground" and refused to charge the car. I investigated and was shocked to find that the electrician who refurbished the electricity in the garden house 6 years earlier forgot to connect the ground wire to the socket.... I've had no ground on that socket for six years, the certification inspector hadn't noticed - what am I paying for ?? Anyway, the granny charger or the e-208 did not care about having no ground... so much for having a type B RCD to make things "safe".
That was kind of my point - we're agreeing. The Zoe runs tighter earthing checks (earth impedance) than other cars. Normal granny chargers don't really care. The OpenEVSE does all sorts of extra checks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts