Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Glad you are having a good experience with the destination chargers. I’ve never had to pay for one, but I have found them sometimes already taken or faulty, so I always factor in a local rapid just in case. The further south you travel the quieter the roads tend to get until Lisbon, then it’s totally manic. Personally I’ve found the standard of driving all over Europe is very poor, people just do so many stupid things and generally drive too quick, or perhaps I’m just getting old!
No, I don't think you are getting old. Check out Jack Scarlett driving a Dacia through the centre of Paris. I howled with laughter. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I fully agree with you and I must not have been clear enough, so apologies for that. Indeed, for a private car owner doing private type trips, owning just one car, a BEV, and taking the eventual hit on the fast charger will be a lot less costly than having two cars, one of them being an ICE.

The Merc is expensive to keep and we watch it collect dust on the driveway. The reason for us having kept the Merc is not so much the cost of fast charging as the availability of such chargers. In France today I cannot cover the distance between two fast chargers with the e-208 in some regions. And the e-208 does not have the space for suitcases, the dog and the dog stuff to take on a vacation. So that was a luxury choice we made. A small and nimble city dweller and a larger long haul cruiser is what we want. It does not have much to do with what I was trying to say.

Imagine you are a long haul professional. You do 1000 km a day in a vehicle like a taxi, a van, a bus or a truck. Then you are the designated user for which an investor will want to install a fast charger. Don't spend money on a fast charger for me, I hardly use them. I charge at home using my solar for almost everything. The fast chargers are for those who need them. And... they will find diesel is still cheaper today.

Just looking at the energy cost:
The Merc needs 6 litres per 100 km. That is 12€ per 100 km.
The Peugeot needs 20 kWh per 100 km on the highway (yes!) and 20 times 0.8€ is... 16€. Most SUV like EVs need 25 kWh per 100 km. Also the Ioniq 5. Yes, a Tesla uses less making this a tie.

The point I was making here is: "Are those investing in fast chargers ever going to make money?". It is not clear to me they ever will. And that is why I find Andy's report here so interesting. It seems Andy has not been using a lot of fast DC chargers (faster than 50 kW) on his journey yet. Andy is mostly using AC chargers.
I think they will make money when the sale of ICE cars is banned and fleet operators negotiate business rates for their vehicles which travel long distances. Fleet operators can't use them if they're not there. The rapid charger network will probably run at a loss for a few years until more commercial electric vans and trucks start using the network.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Another part of our planning is food. Being vegan (no Phil, oysters aren't on my menu!) I have bought some frozen but most excellent vegan croissant. Can't be doin' with our friends having excellent croissant and ourselves not so. I made some lemon hummous the other day so we have a vat load of that to go. Our new Spanish travelling kettle will go so we can make cups of tea (green for me, earl grey for my better half). I'll be packing my yellow porridge ingredients (oats, turmeric & black pepper.)

Because we're staying in a large house for a week (there are about 15/20 of us) there will be a lot more cooking. And because our oversized villa is fairly remote many of us will be eating in most days. Anyway it's a serious challenge for ANY restaurant to cater to my diet (even disregarding the vegan element). So while some french chef may be keen, I would be wary. So I have shopped to provide some alternatives for several meals. Falafel are in there. We can get fruit and veg locally and there's a biocoop about 15 miles away.

So rough meal ideas include pea & mushroom pasta with v.pesto, v.bbq of steamed veg, rissotto perhaps, stir-fry. Lots of fruit salads. I might even do some homemade v.burgers.

There's a thing. I don't go a lot of burgers - vegan or otherwise. I just don't think the buns they are wrapped in is largely anything other than rubbish. I always wonder if people who eat a lot of meat think that bread in buns is somehow "that's it". Because if I have a choice I wouldn't touch the buns with a bargepole. I eat a high-carb diet, but those buns are the pits, imo. And anyone who eats at McD's would be wise to chuck the buns in the bin, but then the entire meal from McDs should never be consumed imo - a total recipe for a stream of health issues in future years.

An almost entirely off-EV rant. I promise not to impose my other pet subject too much more. (For my sins I am a qualified nutritionist.)
Still off topic, have you tried ginger porridge? I love it. :) ( Been vegan for over 40 years)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think he means rapid chargers. Some say swipe card first then plug in. Some plug in first then swipe. Some swipe, plug in, press "start charge".

Imagine at a fossil filling station . . . Select fuel type, lift nozzle, squeeze trigger . . . now mop up spilt fuel because you should have put the nozzle in the pipe you numpty. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No Andy, never :)

Agreed, an earth fault may cause a fire, but I believe the first thought on the manufacturer's minds is to not kill the client with a 400V DC electrocution.

Note EVSE suppliers require the RCD to be of a type B, so it also senses DC earth faults, which "normal" RCDs are incapable of. I survived a number of 220 Volt AC shocks, but I'm sure a 220 V DC shock would kill me. DC is dangerous at higher voltages. 48 Volt is still OK - today's mild hybrids - but you should not try to get too much higher for safety. I once touched a terminal on a Discobar Power amplifier I was repairing, 120 V DC, that was almost the end of me, nasty! 400 V DC is sure to kill you. From that angle, EVs are very dangerous things. I think people don't always appreciate that.
It's the current that kills you. You can survive a lightning strike of 30,000 volts because the current is so low. Just under 2 Amps at 12 volts will kill you stone dead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts