Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Obviously if you arrive at destination and are going to get a granny charge it is best to get plugged in ASAP because of the slow charge rate.
Yep, 8 Amps, 1.8 kW, with 90% charging efficiency that is 17 hours 20 > 80 % ...

Once at Rochefort our primary business is hiking, the car stays put. That is why we take Limmy with us. The Border Collie. What a fantastic animal this is! If there is anything to love the Brits and Scots for, that's it!

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw 2019
2 Posts
So, we have started our summer hols in our Kona 64k. This is three weeks in Northern Spain followed by two weeks in France. There's a week back in the UK inbetween - don't ask!!!

Our strategy for charging is that every B&B/Hotel we have booked has a charging point, and because we're not travelling more than say 150 mile in a day then it should be a stress free holiday. Recharging our car should always be arrive, plugin, enjoy sleep, unplug and go. We don't (we think) need to charge at any public chargers en-route. Though I would like to try some. I'm hoping to do a log of much of the charging experience of Spain as we go, and hopefully France as well.

Right now we're on day 3. Driving from Oxford to Portsmouth to catch the ferry to Bilbao we had a very smooth two-night crossing arriving in Bilbao yesterday first thing. As far as we could see there was only one other EV on the ferry - a Tesla.

So our first stop yesterday was the Guggenheim museum, featuring lots and lots of the very best cars from around the world. One was from around 1900 was - electric! Perhaps I will post a picture of it soon. Right now we are staying north of Bilbao in a rural B&B which has two tesla destination chargers in its car park. The owner kindly ensured we were plugged in and charging up last night. So we added about 40% to get us to full. Today, our last night at our first B&B, we're topping up the 14% we used driving on fabulous coastal roads to get ready for our longest journey tomorrow.

What was disappointing about the Guggenheim is that all it's EV chargers were in use. This was free destination charging and we couldn't use it! So disappointing.

View attachment 161995
Hi also planning a 3 week trip to northern Spain and have found your account extremely interesting. I have a question. You charge overnight at hotels BandB etc. I think you have said elsewhere that you use the booking website filters to identify cahrging. How reliable are these filters? Do you book your charging session in advance? How necessary is it to have a good grasp of Spanish to negotiate any issues that may arise. Now totally at ease charging in the UK using the public charging network but charging in Spain may rekindle my range anxiety!

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
My Spanish is well below that of beginners. I used Google translate app to point to any instructions and it would translate to English.

Booking.com ev charger checkbox is better than airbnb. With airbnb only the topmost entries actually are guaranteed ev charger available. After a while airbnb just fills in with more b&bs to make the list look good.

We looked for actual words in the bnb description and photos of the charger to gain confidence. We always messaged on the subject. I also looked on Google StreetView as well as charging app sites.

It became the rule that city centre charging was "nearby" it was usually the nearest car park, and nothing to do with the b&b. Is that being cheeky? Possibly, but in the end I just want to know I have a convenient charge.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw 2019
2 Posts
My Spanish is well below that of beginners. I used Google translate app to point to any instructions and it would translate to English.

Booking.com ev charger checkbox is better than airbnb. With airbnb only the topmost entries actually are guaranteed ev charger available. After a while airbnb just fills in with more b&bs to make the list look good.

We looked for actual words in the bnb description and photos of the charger to gain confidence. We always messaged on the subject. I also looked on Google StreetView as well as charging app sites.

It became the rule that city centre charging was "nearby" it was usually the nearest car park, and nothing to do with the b&b. Is that being cheeky? Possibly, but in the end I just want to know I have a convenient charge.
Thanks, just starting our research and this is all very useful. I've just emailed an hotel in Santander who say they have a charger on Booking.com (just to see) and they have confirmed by return which is encouraging. Considering Sept/October this year but this may be optimistic, if not possibly May next year.

There will probably be more questions!

241 - 246 of 246 Posts