Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
One final thought for tonight. At our b&b we've been chatting with a couple of nice Americans from Atlanta. They've spent most of their touring holiday in Portugal and commented on the incessant toll booths they drive through. None of that in Spain, here is just like the UK, get on the high quality autovias and go as far as you want.
it’s a fair comment, Portuguese toll roads are expensive, but they are excellent quiet roads, but taking a scenic route like yours you wouldn’t be expected to pay a toll. Portugal is a relatively poor country, and for some reason doesn’t appear to have had the EU finance that Spanish roads seem to enjoy. I’m surprised that Americans would complain as they have toll roads for as long as I can remember, in parts of the US they have to pay to use the outside lane these days!

·
Registered
907 Posts
On final final thought. Some of our accommodation costs aren't cheap. But to help offset these treats we don't eat out, rather pick up fruit and veg from supermarkets and have a coolbox permanently plugged into the 12v socket. Before we left home I made 9 pots of hummus and today I finished off the last one.
Ooh, eating out is one of my pleasures, as much as I like a good picnic. As for hummus, Spanish customs are obviously laxer than French ones who, according to my campervan friends, are very rigorous in not letting any food and drink through. What range of accommodation costs have you encountered? Does anyone know how much a small tent would be at a campsite?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Not sure how expensive Portuguese toll roads are but you should try the €16,80 for Aosta to Torino, and add on around another €10 to get up to the Monte Bianco tunnel! If you are going anywhere near the centre of Torino getting the train is the obvious choice.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
We're now in the centre of Lugo, in a posh old hotel inside the roman walls. Only 1 hour charge needed using again a tesla destination charger.

We've had a great journey, morning at a great unesco water mill. If you want to learn everything about grinding wheat this is a great place.
Plant Water Body of water Brickwork Natural landscape

The afternoon was spent at a hill Fort that is like maiden Castle on steroids.

We don't eat out much partly because we're vegan but also I cannot eat tomatoes. So catering for ourselves works well. When we have tried to eat out I'm getting sick of the ubiquitous Spanish love of avocado (guacamole) and bread with everything. Much of the bread looks nice, smells nice but mostly it's not wholemeal.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not sure how expensive Portuguese toll roads are but you should try the €16,80 for Aosta to Torino, and add on around another €10 to get up to the Monte Bianco tunnel! If you are going anywhere near the centre of Torino getting the train is the obvious choice.
I adore Turin. Spent so much time there over the years, including working there briefly.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Better now than sat at a charger, did you put a credit card on it, they don’t accept all of them?
Very true. Not added one yet. Still finding charging at hotels is stress free. Tonight we're in a cheap hotel but it has the usual pair of tesla destination chargers. This hotel charged 20 euros but it makes life so easy. And anyway 20 € for nearly 40% charge is worth it, imo. (Still laughing at diesel & petrolheads where 40% of a tank at 2 euros per litre is going to be the best part of fifty squid, never mind having to waste time at a garage.)

Today we stayed off the autovias and toured the rute os ancares looking at pre-roman round houses. It's amazing to drive all day and hardly see any other vehicle.

The only time we felt surrounded was at O Cebreiro, an ancient hut village that is just off the autovia and so attracts coach parties. But it is at about 1300m above sea level and has unparalleled vistas both in front and behind.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Off topic, I know but here's a couple of asides to travelling abroad. The last major trip we did was pre-covid 2019 & pre-EV. It was 3 weeks by bus & train to Italy and Switzerland. All worked a dream, even getting from above St Moritz to home from 9am to 11pm same day. For that trip we had two bank cards to use abroad - Starling & Monzo. Two cards gave is a better chance in case one had problems, but both were fine.

This time I decided to add two extra ways of paying abroad - a Chase card and have that linked to my phone to pay by phone. That has worked perfectly as well. First time using google autopay was nerve-wracking but it just works.

I wanted to use pay by phone to help harmonise how I was paying for things. Not got there yet. But after we get home I can do that.

The second thing completely bemuses me. No kettles!!!! I have been counting on having a kettle in the hotel rooms to do my own green tea and porridge in the morning. I live by these!!! But everywhere seems to have stopped having kettles.

In europe of course many places have coffee makers. These are a nightmare. I used to drink lots of coffee, espresso, you name it. Not now. I rarely have a coffee. What's a nightmare is gettingone of these coffee makers able to run clean water through so that me delicate green tea isn't over-powered by coffee dregs.

Yes, we may end up in a hardware store and buy a small travel kettle!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Very true. Not added one yet. Still finding charging at hotels is stress free. Tonight we're in a cheap hotel but it has the usual pair of tesla destination chargers. This hotel charged 20 euros but it makes life so easy. And anyway 20 € for nearly 40% charge is worth it, imo. (Still laughing at diesel & petrolheads where 40% of a tank at 2 euros per litre is going to be the best part of fifty squid, never mind having to waste time at a garage.)

Today we stayed off the autovias and toured the rute os ancares looking at pre-roman round houses. It's amazing to drive all day and hardly see any other vehicle.

The only time we felt surrounded was at O Cebreiro, an ancient hut village that is just off the autovia and so attracts coach parties. But it is at about 1300m above sea level and has unparalleled vistas both in front and behind.
Glad you are having a good experience with the destination chargers. I’ve never had to pay for one, but I have found them sometimes already taken or faulty, so I always factor in a local rapid just in case. The further south you travel the quieter the roads tend to get until Lisbon, then it’s totally manic. Personally I’ve found the standard of driving all over Europe is very poor, people just do so many stupid things and generally drive too quick, or perhaps I’m just getting old!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Glad you are having a good experience with the destination chargers. I’ve never had to pay for one, but I have found them sometimes already taken or faulty, so I always factor in a local rapid just in case. The further south you travel the quieter the roads tend to get until Lisbon, then it’s totally manic. Personally I’ve found the standard of driving all over Europe is very poor, people just do so many stupid things and generally drive too quick, or perhaps I’m just getting old!
No, I don't think you are getting old. Check out Jack Scarlett driving a Dacia through the centre of Paris. I howled with laughter. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Could you clarify something for me please? Tesla chargers. I understood that Tesla chargers used the chademo connector, apart from being only for Tesla cars. Am I wrong? Are they now usable for Konas as well?

Lawrence

·
Registered
611 Posts
I’m not an expert @Lawrence H, but Tesla chargers do seem to be being opened up to non-Teslas: there are about 15 in the UK so far. The connector seems to be CCS

Reactions: Rbrian

·
Registered
611 Posts
Could you clarify something for me please? Tesla chargers. I understood that Tesla chargers used the chademo connector, apart from being only for Tesla cars. Am I wrong? Are they now usable for Konas as well?

Lawrence
And see this thread

Reactions: Lawrence H

·
Registered
314 Posts

Lawrence
We were referring to Tesla destination chargers, these are often supplied by hotels, usually there are two, one that is specific for Tesla and another for other users of CCS, Chademo doesn’t figure. They can be configured by the site owner to supply between 1-22kw. The only oddity I’ve noticed using them is that the Kona charge port will light up red for a short while after plugging in, then turn green and start charging.

some of Tesla’s superchargers have been opened up to the rest of us, priced at a premium but useful nonetheless.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts

Lawrence
Tesla have never used the Chademo connector.

In North America they have their own proprietary connector which isn't similar to any connector used by other EVs.

Outside North America (except China where they use the Chinese standard connector) they originally used a modified form of the type 2 Mennekes connector that we all use for AC charging. The Mennekes specification actually allows for DC charging as well so Tesla implemented DC charging through Mennekes even though nobody else ever did. Tesla also changed the length of the control pin slightly so that Teslas would work with existing Mennekes AC chargers but other cars wouldn't work with Tesla connectors.

Then with the model 3 and later Tesla switched to type 2 CCS so they are compatible and can use any type 2 AC or DC chargers. Older Tesla superchargers have both the modified Mennekes DC connector and the CCS connector. More recent superchargers only have CCS.

I'm sure I'll have got some of that wrong but basically in a nutshell you can use any CCS connector on a Tesla supercharger at any of the 15 sites they opened for the UK pilot. You can't use the one that looks like an AC connector if there is one and you can't use the sites that aren't in the pilot (most aren't).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for all that. When I was brand new to EV and still studying them before we bought one, I did learn it all at that time. That was Nov - Dec 2021 and clearly I have lost some track of what Iearned about connectors. It is good to see a summary like that as a reminder. I understand that they charge more (cost, I mean!) but sometimes it just good to know that one is there!

Lawrence

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Premium RWD [2021-]
163 Posts
In europe of course many places have coffee makers. These are a nightmare. I used to drink lots of coffee, espresso, you name it. Not now. I rarely have a coffee. What's a nightmare is gettingone of these coffee makers able to run clean water through so that me delicate green tea isn't over-powered by coffee dregs.

Yes, we may end up in a hardware store and buy a small travel kettle!!!
Loving reading about your trip, thanks for sharing. I took my travel kettle with me on my most recent road trip to Spain - being able to make a "proper" cup of tea on demand is priceless!

21 - 40 of 184 Posts