Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
GoogleMaps is not the best source of info, imo - yet. We all know that some suppliers focus on certain areas. Here's a similar route using chargemaps. All of these are 43kw or above. Looks like a nice even distribution with about 3 or 4 showing as out of action.
Ecoregion World Map Nature Organism

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208 GT Line 2020 model
127 Posts
Okay guys, this has annoyed the pants off me but I didn't post about it whilst in Spain thinking I would sanity check when I was back in the land of miles rather than km.
And now I come back and I find a new magic speed limit of 64 whatevers appearing on my infotainment display. 64, what's that about? Anyway I know my goal - document, document, document. I guess country roads in Spain caused more problem than say motorway because forever we were changing from 50km/h to 90 to 50 to 30 etc etc. When I say forever, I'm talking often every 100 yards - oops metres.
Don't know if that helps, but some times I noticed (with rentals) there is a separate setting for the car system and the satnav. It seems you found the satnav setting and not the system one? I may be wrong, I don't know Hyundai very well. I rented an i30 like one in the US once. Pretty good car. But I always went for the Nissan Altima if it was available. Because I knew it well and it was wonderfully silent with its CVT. So I never got to know Hyundai well.

Also 64 mph... 103 km/h? that seems really odd ... by the way, France has been changing the speed limit on secondary roads quite often lately. It used to be 100 for the longest time. Then they dropped to 90 and now max is 90 dry and 80 if it rains.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
And so we have planned the early part of our French trip. The first leg is 266 miles from Caen to La Rochelle and we have identified three charging points en-route that are about half way a) 35470 Bain-de-Bretagne, b) 44170 Nozay, c) 44810 Héric. When we checked two were being used last night - so we know they're good. So we'll head for the first, if that is busy or fails we'll head for the second etc. There are others but these will hit that 20-80% sweet spot. And then when we arrive in La Rochelle we'll recharge to 100%, spend a day on the ile-de-ré before heading to our week-long stay in the lot et garonne.

The second leg to L-et-G is only 165 miles, via the unmissable Saintes. In this very remote / rural area there is a 50kw charger just 8 miles away and anyway I am hoping to granny-charge on site at our destination Casteljaloux.

·
Registered
127 Posts
GoogleMaps is not the best source of info, imo - yet. We all know that some suppliers focus on certain areas. Here's a similar route using chargemaps. All of these are 43kw or above. Looks like a nice even distribution with about 3 or 4 showing as out of action.
Thanks, Andy, you confirmed Flanders is great, what about the stretch in France though?
Ecoregion World Map Product Nature

·
Registered
127 Posts
And so we have planned the early part of our French trip. The first leg is 266 miles from Caen to La Rochelle and we have identified three charging points en-route that are about half way a) 35470 Bain-de-Bretagne, b) 44170 Nozay, c) 44810 Héric. When we checked two were being used last night - so we know they're good. So we'll head for the first, if that is busy or fails we'll head for the second etc. There are others but these will hit that 20-80% sweet spot. And then when we arrive in La Rochelle we'll recharge to 100%, spend a day on the ile-de-ré before heading to our week-long stay in the lot et garonne.

The second leg to L-et-G is only 165 miles, via the unmissable Saintes. In this very remote / rural area there is a 50kw charger just 8 miles away and anyway I am hoping to granny-charge on site.
Ow waw!! That is going to be interesting!!

We love those places too. Ile d'Oléron nearby is fantastic if you like Oysters, my wife really liked it there. But a bit busy and mondaine these days.

Lot et Garonne we went to in 2019 and 2020. A bit off the threaded paths and really wonderful.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Thanks, Andy, you confirmed Flanders is great, what about the stretch in France though?
View attachment 162991
Ecoregion Map World Parallel Slope

Is what chargemaps comes back with. Less dense, true - but we only need one working & available charger in a range of less than 100km. So if I was travelling down this route I might not need any along the entire stretch. Normally I plan to find a charger at say 40% if there are lots of chargers, 50% with less chargers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is what chargemaps comes back with. Less dense, true - but we only need one working & available charger in a range of less than 100km. So if I was travelling down this route I might not need any along the entire stretch. Normally I plan to find a charger at say 40% if there are lots of chargers, 50% with less chargers.
Indeed. My fear with low density is the queue...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
Another part of our planning is food. Being vegan (no Phil, oysters aren't on my menu!) I have bought some frozen but most excellent vegan croissant. Can't be doin' with our friends having excellent croissant and ourselves not so. I made some lemon hummous the other day so we have a vat load of that to go. Our new Spanish travelling kettle will go so we can make cups of tea (green for me, earl grey for my better half). I'll be packing my yellow porridge ingredients (oats, turmeric & black pepper.)

Because we're staying in a large house for a week (there are about 15/20 of us) there will be a lot more cooking. And because our oversized villa is fairly remote many of us will be eating in most days. Anyway it's a serious challenge for ANY restaurant to cater to my diet (even disregarding the vegan element). So while some french chef may be keen, I would be wary. So I have shopped to provide some alternatives for several meals. Falafel are in there. We can get fruit and veg locally and there's a biocoop about 15 miles away.

So rough meal ideas include pea & mushroom pasta with v.pesto, v.bbq of steamed veg, rissotto perhaps, stir-fry. Lots of fruit salads. I might even do some homemade v.burgers.

There's a thing. I don't go a lot of burgers - vegan or otherwise. I just don't think the buns they are wrapped in is largely anything other than rubbish. I always wonder if people who eat a lot of meat think that bread in buns is somehow "that's it". Because if I have a choice I wouldn't touch the buns with a bargepole. I eat a high-carb diet, but those buns are the pits, imo. And anyone who eats at McD's would be wise to chuck the buns in the bin, but then the entire meal from McDs should never be consumed imo - a total recipe for a stream of health issues in future years.

An almost entirely off-EV rant. I promise not to impose my other pet subject too much more. (For my sins I am a qualified nutritionist.)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Another part of our planning is food. Being vegan (no Phil, oysters aren't on my menu!) I have bought some frozen but most excellent vegan croissant. Can't be doin' with our friends having excellent croissant and ourselves not so. I made some lemon hummous the other day so we have a vat load of that to go. Our new Spanish travelling kettle will go so we can make cups of tea (green for me, earl grey for my better half). I'll be packing my yellow porridge ingredients (oats, turmeric & black pepper.)

Because we're staying in a large house for a week (there are about 15/20 of us) there will be a lot more cooking. And because our oversized villa is fairly remote many of us will be eating in most days. Anyway it's a serious challenge for ANY restaurant to cater to my diet (even disregarding the vegan element). So while some french chef may be keen, I would be wary. So I have shopped to provide some alternatives for several meals. Falafel are in there. We can get fruit and veg locally and there's a biocoop about 15 miles away.

So rough meal ideas include pea & mushroom pasta with v.pesto, v.bbq of steamed veg, rissotto perhaps, stir-fry. Lots of fruit salads. I might even do some homemade v.burgers.

There's a thing. I don't go a lot of burgers - vegan or otherwise. I just don't think the buns they are wrapped in is largely anything other than rubbish. I always wonder if people who eat a lot of meat think that bread in buns is somehow "that's it". Because if I have a choice I wouldn't touch the buns with a bargepole. I eat a high-carb diet, but those buns are the pits, imo. And anyone who eats at McD's would be wise to chuck the buns in the bin, but then the entire meal from McDs should never be consumed imo - a total recipe for a stream of health issues in future years.

An almost entirely off-EV rant. I promise not to impose my other pet subject too much more. (For my sins I am a qualified nutritionist.)
Still off topic, have you tried ginger porridge? I love it. :) ( Been vegan for over 40 years)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Another part of our planning is food. Being vegan (no Phil, oysters aren't on my menu!) I have bought some frozen but most excellent vegan croissant.
Well I believe you are right to make those preparations. We stayed in a place called Parisot. Even being open to more food options, the very few restaurants in the immediate surroundings were feeding you absolute rubbish. That was the reason why the B&B we stayed at decided to offer dinner and most guests would go for it.

Let me join you on the McD rant. McD is popular in Belgium now because of the (low) price. When they first entered in Belgium almost nobody went there and McD did not make a profit in Belgium for 25 years. However, the U.S. "culture" is so admired by youngsters these days that a huge erosion of our own culture took place. Now McDs is full and every third word they speak is an American one while there is a perfect Dutch word for it... some use the f-word in every sentence... most cannot spell correctly anymore... so the families I see in McD in Belgium (when I look inside the restaurant when passing by) start to look a lot like the Americans visiting Fuddruckers ... so much for progress... with some delay you see the same happening in France. In Belgium there now is a counterattack with various offerings of "Gourmet Burgers". That doesn't change the McD popularity as the Gourmet options are too expensive for those visiting McD. Obesity is ramping up in Belgium...

When my wife cooks she does vegetarian about 2 times a week. Indian food is a great inspiration, Dhal for instance. We also have a great guy called Michael Sels who makes delicious veggie stuff. Pumpkin with egg is a favorite. Not sure if you do egg, Andy. But you're on the right track!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
And so it begins. We've left home and now sat in the queue at Portsmouth. We're very early but it's been a hectic few days and being just sat here collecting thoughts is no bad thing.

We had the pleasure of charging back to 100% at the instavolt chargers as you come into the ferry port hidden behind Brittany ferries building ready for our drive tomorrow. That last 20% always takes a while but we're going nowhere atm so no matter.

We've got plenty of time so head down to Southsea where we watched the hovercraft on its way to Ryde. When I say watched I actually mean blown over! We were stood directly in the firing line of its blades and my attempt at recording it on video was severely curtailed.

We parked in the esplanade car park which, it turns out, has a free charger. It says fast, but we all know that there's fast and then there's not so fast. It was in use, and that's good to see.
Cloud Sky Plant Road surface Asphalt

And so tomorrow morning our second journey really begins.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Off the ferry supposedly at 6.15 but not really away until nearer 8am. Just as bleary-eyed! Pleased to see the very first car park has a free 22kw charger. But we're full so pass that one by. Once we're on the open road towards renne I begin to plan a breakfast Pitstone hopefully with a test charge.

We are duly rewarded on the A84 at the Aire de la Vallée de la Vire Gouvets. This is an ionity setup. Not cheap at €15 going from 80 to 90% but easy as pie. If everything is this good. .⁴
Sky Wheel Street light Tire Tree

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Looks untethered, max 22kW? I thought fast started at 50kW DC, but that is just me…
Definitely untethered. I define 7kw as slow, anything faster. But rate matters less (as you know) than does it charge the right amount for your stay. Someone could spend a day down at Southsea which could mean 100 miles added. Many current EVs don't have much more...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
And so we're at our destination in la Rochelle for two nights, a quirky b&b, and we like quirky. It has a granny charge so the kona is plugged in and potentially will take 32hours to fully charge.

That's not going to happen since we'll be touring the Ile de re tomorrow. That's about 50 mile round trip. So a second charge tomorrow night might just do for a day later as we head south. Otherwise there will be a top up.
Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant Vehicle Car

A word about the journey. We chose a "no toll" route which took us down past rennes and nantes. The fastest route is via le mans, but we chose the longer route. Even then there was a detour. Thanks to the detour we ended driving through some beautiful countryside.

101 - 120 of 177 Posts