Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Good thinking Andy! They may notice a KONA is not a camping car and if all EV drivers would do this I am pretty sure you would have to deal with angry camping car users 😁. Unless you have a ID BUZZ converted into a camping car…

I hope you do not mind my hijacking your forum: today we had a Dutch BMW iX3 granny charging (for free) at the hotel… the Lambo had to move out to free up the charging spot… View attachment 163320 View attachment 163321
Not at all, hijack away. Making a ghini move to make way for the future has to be a good one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Can anyone explain how to use French sockets without getting in a tizz? We use a couple of adapters and they get stuck in some sockets. The last time I pushed one in i needed help to get the g**d**m adapter out again.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208 GT Line 2020 model
127 Posts
Can anyone explain how to use French sockets without getting in a tizz? We use a couple of adapters and they get stuck in some sockets. The last time I pushed one in i needed help to get the g**d**m adapter out again.
Yes, don’t use adapters!

I am privileged , traveled around the world quite a bit and did use adapters. Mostly UK to Shuko or US to Shuko. UK to Shuko is easy, UK plugs are big and sturdy and putting a Shuko in a UK adapter works nicely. Not so with the tiny US plugs, doing US to Shuko is fiddly. I gave up with those. I used US straight, no adapters.

I can feel your pain, doing Shuko to UK must be fiddly too, because UK plugs are more bulky than Shuko plugs. So don’t use them.

I had chargers for all kinds of stuff that used US straight. Yes… it is a small investment but it is sooo comfortable!

For the other stuff I had an extender block with three or four Shuko and I cut off the Shuko plug on the wire or removed the whole wire powering the block, replaced it with a US plug or a premolded US plug on a wire reconnected to the block.

I admit my incentive to do this was probably bigger than yours. I used to be gone from home 25% to 50% of my time, going around the world chairing network meetings, fixing control and process problems and building multivariable controllers…

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
3,330 Posts
I think the problem is the variation in the adapter quality. Find one that works best and stick with it. I have UK-to-Schuko adapter, that I have used for many years, and is the only one that I take with me.

But as @PhilTroubleshooter says, a 3 or 4 gang UK extension lead with a replaced Schuko plug can be very handy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hijack #2 with Andy’s permission * deep bow*.

Very nice Dutch couple arrived at hotel by Ioniq 5. Charged at hotel’s only 32A AC charger (7kW).
Automotive parking light Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

They absolutely love the car. It is a lease and the charge pass they got did not cover all chargers. They drove through Belgium in Wallonia, the french speaking part of Belgium that is even worse of a charger desert than France. They lost a day finding a charge. So they decided to drop their plan to go to Portugal this year. I told them to follow Andy’s thread that has proven North Spain is doable 😁.

Also they were getting better passes. Shell Recharge is well known, I have one too.

Both the Dutch EVers at our hotel, BMW iX3 and Ioniq 5, loved their car and were impressed with the summertime real life range of about 340 km. Both minded eco driving, 110 km/h max speed on cruise control.

The brits were not loved so much here… not because of Brexit but because of being opulent climate spoilers 😁
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
1 Porsche, 4 Ferrari. All of the sudden I felt responsible with our hybrid diesel :).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
France? Charging desert? It may be true if you're travelling through in some parts as quickly as possible using just fast chargers. But here in this rural idyll they're all over the place.

Today, for fun we charged at a 22kw charger provided by Lidl in a village called Lavradac for free. The charge point was novel in that you had to swipe the charegmap card on the green card plate on the machine to gain physical access to where the type2 cable should be inserted. This then became theft and damage protected once the access door was closed. Swipe-open-connect. Once connected charging starts and a blue light flashes slowly.
Tin Fluid Gas Tin can Cylinder

·
Registered
127 Posts
On our way back, just before Cambrai, aire de Rumaucourt. If you drive an EV, no luck. Drive on. If you still can. Good intentions… but the refurbished aire had perfectly functioning brand new fossil pumps. One must have his priorities right…
Tree Plant Sky Road surface Asphalt

This again is on the Autoroute. Indeed Andy, getting off the Autoroute is the required strategy. The stops are nicer too, as are coffee and croissants you can get off the Autoroute, much much better and no gangs trying to break or steal your car... one thing I now realize: those gangs may not be interested in EVs!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
On our way back, just before Cambrai, aire de Rumaucourt. If you drive an EV, no luck. Drive on. If you still can. Good intentions… but the refurbished aire had perfectly functioning brand new fossil pumps. One must have his priorities right…
View attachment 163410

This again is on the Autoroute. Indeed Andy, getting off the Autoroute is the required strategy. The stops are nicer too, as are coffee and croissants you can get off the Autoroute, much much better and no gangs trying to break or steal your car... one thing I now realize: those gangs may not be interested in EVs!
We brought our own vegan croissants from the UK! This was the last of them this morning. We bought a stash from the eden café in Witney, all frozen.
Food Ingredient Deep frying Fast food Staple food

I have to say they were superb, but indeed they were every bit as good as any other croissants.

Imo it would take a special kind of idiot to want and try to steal an electric car.

I checked out the aire de Rumaucourt. Northbound they seem to have ionity., but southbound...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
We've come back to the fast charger at the Lac du Clarens for a good top up starting at 50%. We may go beyond the 80 even to 90% or more. This will set us up for our Saturday journey to carcassonne. LanguageEnglish, SelectCss, SwipeCard, PlugIn, ClunkAndCharging. (Inserted afterwards: email receipt says 39kw cost €19 so about £16 for over 50% charge on this fast charger.)

It would be nice to charge faster than 35kw at 75% but we've lots to do (including posting here) so we're happy. This charging point also has recycling bins, so we filled those up at the same time.

We're returning through Casteljaloux via the bio shop to find it closed. So off to E.Leclerc where we buy lots of bubbly to share with our friends tonight - 43 years of wedded bliss (somewhat hazy bliss due to the bubbles perhaps).

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
is there any mapping that shows these where all EVs can use?
Either install the Tesla app and you can search the map, or some of the third party maps have now been updated to know about the sites Tesla has made available.
Plant World Nature Natural environment Branch

·
Registered
127 Posts
We brought our own vegan croissants from the UK! This was the last of them this morning. We bought a stash from the eden café in Witney, all frozen.

I have to say they were superb, but indeed they were every bit as good as any other croissants.
Vegan croissant! No egg, no butter, replaced by .... ? Hopefully not Palm Fats...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
We've come back to the fast charger at the Lac du Clarens for a good top up starting at 50%. We may go beyond the 80 even to 90% or more. This will set us up for our Saturday journey to carcassonne. LanguageEnglish, SelectCss, SwipeCard, PlugIn, ClunkAndCharging. (Inserted afterwards: email receipt says 39kw cost €19 so about £16 for over 50% charge on this fast charger.)
You mean you went out of your way against intended direction for charging?

39 kWh for 19€ is 49 c€/kWh, good deal! Nuclear pays off... How much km do you do with that? Bjorn says summer driving 90km/h allows 500km on a full charge. So that should easily be 250 km for 19€. Or 7.6 €/100km. At current fuel cost my Merc Hybrid does 5.4 l / 100km @ 130 km/h (that is a lot faster) which would be around 12 €/100km. You've beaten me on cost even using fast charger. Congrats!

·
Registered
Kona64
2,058 Posts
Are the French Tesla-but-ok-for-others ---- are these now working for UK drivers ?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
The chargemap app and website can both filter for including or excluding tesla, super or dest.
But can it filter for Tesla supercharger in the non-Tesla pilot? I couldn't see that option.

Zap-map can filter on Tesla public supercharger or Tesla-only supercharger but only covers the UK.
I think ABRP knows which Tesla's I can use, at least it started suggested them in routes.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Are the French Tesla-but-ok-for-others ---- are these now working for UK drivers ?
Yes, if you live in the UK and sign up for the non-Tesla pilot scheme you can use the public chargers in any country that is in the pilot.
Mind you they are not cheap.
Doesn't sound too bad if you pay for a single month subscription then cancel.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts