Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brief overview - I have previously made this annual trip (roughly 550 miles) in an ICE car and it took about 10 hours. In recent years we took the sleeper train and hired a car at the other end. This year we are taking the Mk 1 Leaf, purchased from new two years ago.
My reckoning is to allow a charge every 50 - 60 miles (mostly motorway driving) requiring 10 charges en-route adds another 5 hours. Therefore we will split the journey over two days (Friday - Saturday) overnighting just past half way point. Near Gretna on the trip north, near Preston on the return south. Route will be mostly A34, M40, M6, M74, & A9 with a few link roads so lots of Ecotricity rapids to charge on the way. I've got Ecotricity and CYC cards so I think every thing is covered.
Furthest trip we've taken before was NEC Birmingham and back in a day. So this will be an adventure for us. I'm only anxious that there don't seem to be many rapid chargers past Pitlochry. Our apartment for the week is on the ground floor so hopefully we can top up overnight with the standard 13amp cable that came with the car. We have a Type 2 cable that we purchased from Zero Carbon World which should give us extra charging options where there are no rapids.
Am I missing anything?

·
Glyn Hopkin EV Business Development Manager
36 Posts
Good luck on your EV adventure. You'll have a great time. Keep us up to date

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would also recommend some nice warm clothes as you will have to use the Mk1 LEAF's heating sparingly for the longer 60+ mile stretches :)

Good luck!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,661 Posts
Good luck with the trip, just a wee word of warning, received this email from CYC today:-
Dear EV Driver,

We have been asked to pass on the following communication from APT Controls in regards to Rapid Charger outages in Scotland.

Further to our previous statement we would like to update and clarify the position concerning the current upgrade works being carried out by us on the Evolt Rapid Chargers :

As previously mentioned we are undertaking these works to ensure that all of our Rapid Chargers in Scotland are suitable for charging all models of electric vehicles now available. The programme for these works, which was devised by us and our sub-contractor without requesting any input from Transport Scotland, was set out to try to minimise any inconvenience and disruption for electric vehicle drivers. As it is necessary to take charge points out of service for a few days we have sought to schedule the works so that the most heavily used ones would be completed first.

Therefore the upgrades have been prioritised in the following order:-

1) ANGUS COUNCIL - ANGUS HOUSE, ORCHARDBANK, FORFAR
2) ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL - GALLOWGATE CAR PARK
3) ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL - SCLATTIE PARK
4) ABERDEENSHIRE COUNCIL - ROBSON STREET, LAURENCEKIRK
5) GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL - RIVERSIDE TRANSPORT MUSEUM
6) DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY COUNCIL, BROOMS ROAD CAR PARK, DUMFRIES
7) GLENCOE MOUNTAIN LTD, WHITE CORRIES
8) GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL, SHIELDS ROAD SUBWAY STATION
9) GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL - HYDRO ARENA

Work will commence on the 17th/18thNovember at Angus House. Our target is to bring one unit back online a day with a latest completion date of the 27th November for all works to be completed. Charge Your Car will be kept informed of progress. Once again we would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by our planning of this critical upgrade work.

There was no warning about these going down beforehand, just an earlier email apologising for the lack of notice.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
I was in Aviemore earlier in the year and the only public charging I found was a few gritty looking 13A sockets in a bush in a central car park, and the Tesla HPC at the . If your staying overnight then access to a reliable 13A socket is critical.

I remember @dpeilow being very concerned about the hills in and out of Aviemore when we drove end to end in 2011 but I didn't find them that onerous this year. Maybe that's because I wasn't pushing the range to the next charger unlike 2011. Check your calculations carefully with regards to elevation and range because I don't remember seeing any charging in the wild :)

Also remember that snow will kill your range and it's possible in Aviemore in early December.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I thought, from memory, that there was a 7kw charge point in Aviemore. There is certainly one in Kingussie. A folding bike in the luggage might be handy.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
I thought, from memory, that there was a 7kw charge point in Aviemore.
I think you're referring to the pod point at the mountain centre ~10 miles outside Aviemore. When I enquired earlier in the year I was told it wasn't working which is why I checked the 13A sockets in the town (my plan B for an HPC failure).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My own strategy in my leaf for motorway driving is to check charger status BY PHONE on the day, then always set the sat nav for a backup charger (+1 en route) with a way point for the desired charger.

As we see doubling up this becomes less important, similarly where there are service areas on both sides IF an access round (if not use as a backup routed via next junction)

I've done my longer journeys following this strategy

·
Registered
520 Posts
The 'Winking Owl' in Aviemore is shut and being referbished. The 'hidden in the bushes' 13A socket was dead on the 20th October and looked as if it had long been abandoned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for all the useful advice and local knowledge. The two charging points in Aviemore Winking Owl & MacDonald Resort) have both disappeared from the Zap map. Kingussie and Cairngorm charge points still there but both about 10 miles from Aviemore.
Interesting to hear that elevation plays a part in range, not encountered that problem yet. The car was serviced this week by Nissan dealer under the maintenance contract I purchased with the car. So service was already paid for and full breakdown renewed for another year (I checked). So in worst case we should be covered. Our apartment for the week is on ground floor so, with permission, we can get a full charge overnight.
I might take the Brompton as well, not just in case, but to run around town too.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Last time I went to Aviemore it was very cold (-7 I think), and they'd duck taped a guy on his stag do stark naked to a lamppost.

So not ideal for EVs, or general sightseeing by Brompton either :D

TBH I wouldn't do the trip in my Tesla and grab the keys for my old nail of an ICE, but fair play please let us all know how you get on!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I'm planning a trip from North Yorkshire to Aviemore next summer. I've been going there for years but not yet taken the Zoe. But now with the borders well supplied with chargers as well as Perth, then Pitlochry and Kingussie, I think the trip will be fine. I've also got an EVSE cable so am expecting to be able to charge overnight too.
If @Peter O'Keefe manages it in December, k should have no trouble in ZOE next August!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our trip starts today! Destination tonight Gretna. Looking forward to the journey and nervous at the same time. hopefully photos and tweets as we go @P3T3TOK.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts