Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Based on your description of your wife's wants I'd go for an Ampera. Given it's an end of run, there are good prices to be had. The i3 ReX can't do the 300 mile trip without refueling but really, what it wants is recharging.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I had a chat with the local Vauxhall dealer - best he can do right now can't match the Scottish dealer, so we may be driving back from Inverness if we do get the Ampera!!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree but at what does it cost?
Also it has 5 seats and as I understand it the Prius has a better MPG on longer runs
My new PiP was £22,715, 10-12 miles EV and over 70mpg in hybrid mode (HV) on long trips.

My usage gets me around 120mpg on the last 6,000 miles overall but that will vary a lot depending on the ratio of EV to HV driving you do.

No range anxiety, should easily beat 650+ miles range without filling but I have never tried, I just top up every couple of months when I see a cheap pump. We have done Reading to Elgin a couple of times without problem.

Tons of space, the car gobbles everything, bicycles are easy and so is a standard washing machine and a tumble dryer at the same time. Five people in comfort and of course the basic design has been around 12 or so years now so it is well settled. Never had a problem with Toyota service who have covered everything asked of them.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
I agree but at what does it cost?
Also it has 5 seats and as I understand it the Prius has a better MPG on longer runs
I have a pip and leaf. The pip is very good on long runs. I can get 75mpg after the battery is empty. 60 mpg is easy on motorway.

Plenty of space & comfy. I'm happy on a 400 mile trip to Scotland a few times a year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried both the Ampera and the Prius Plug In on extended (3-day) test drives. I reported on my feelings about the Ampera elsewhere on this Forum but basically impressive engineering let down by the lack of a fifth seat, lack of boot space and no bike rack capability. I have been the owner of a PiP for four weeks now and I am well impressed. The biggest problem so far has been forgetting to look through the windscreen because there is so much to play with in the cockpit. Without trying I have averaged 80-plus mpg and the 11EV miles is fine for my daily commute. We had five adults in the car at the weekend and there is plenty of room in the back. Yes it was expensive but being a company car that's not my issue - what is my issue is the benefit-in-kind and that's less than half of my old C3 Picasso. Oh yes - one problem with the PiP is the 676 page Manual. Would you believe that the section entitled "Opening, closing and locking the doors" runs to 32 pages !!!!!

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
I tried both the Ampera and the Prius Plug In on extended (3-day) test drives. I reported on my feelings about the Ampera elsewhere on this Forum but basically impressive engineering let down by the lack of a fifth seat, lack of boot space and no bike rack capability. I have been the owner of a PiP for four weeks now and I am well impressed. The biggest problem so far has been forgetting to look through the windscreen because there is so much to play with in the cockpit. Without trying I have averaged 80-plus mpg and the 11EV miles is fine for my daily commute. We had five adults in the car at the weekend and there is plenty of room in the back. Yes it was expensive but being a company car that's not my issue - what is my issue is the benefit-in-kind and that's less than half of my old C3 Picasso. Oh yes - one problem with the PiP is the 676 page Manual. Would you believe that the section entitled "Opening, closing and locking the doors" runs to 32 pages !!!!!
I too bought a pip after a lot of consideration. Its pretty good. There's a lot to like. More battery range though please. We do find ourselves using our leaf for everything possible and only use the pip on long holiday trips when my wife doesn't want to stop 3/4 times on a trip. You think the doors are complicated... try updating the satnav. It corrupted and the dealer couldnt fix it. Eventually they replaced the whole unit. I decided to leave the old firmware on it after this.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I don't think we have enough information yet to make a useful suggestion.

Is the regular 300 mile trip an out and back of 2 x 150 miles always to the same destination? Is it out and back in a day or is there an overnight stop? Is there charging available at the destination or nearby? Is it on motorways; are there convenient rapid chargers en route? Is taking the train a viable option? Or is there a viable mixed mode journey – up to 40 miles by EV to a convenient station with charging available?

I'm coming at this as someone who loves driving an EV and wants to avoid burning petrol wherever possible – that's my preferred compromise.

If the charging stops are at motorway services, I wouldn't be anxious about charging at night. They are well lit, secure and policed and the points are usually very close to the entrance to shops/toilets/etc.

The Renault Zoe is reckoned to have the best range of currently available, affordable battery electrics, so would be worth considering. Also, the forthcoming Golf GTe looks a more up to date (and to my eyes attractive) execution of what the Volt/Ampera promised.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts