Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I had to go to the passport office at short notice. Our family have one car, a LEAF and several bicycles. No way was I cycling, so the 60 mile trip east was to be undertaken in our short-range BEV.

No problem I think, there's a dealer there with a rapid, so I can go 60 miles or so, charge at the dealer for 30 minutes when I'm done, and head back again.

The morning came and I couldn't reach the dealer before heading off (forgot to call the day before) so I tried open charge map. I found some chargers, but it was unclear to me exactly where they were. So with little time and confidence that at least there were plugs nearby, I headed off to Peterborough, knowing I didn't have the range to get back.

After following signs and ending up in a charger-free multi-story I had time for a walk... I walked straight by a charger, however it was only marked "Source East" and I don't have their card. The parking was also unclear.

I phoned the dealer... charger was dead. :(

As a result I ended up giving the evil Chargemaster PLC some cash to use their Polar Instant app (for free?!) and found my way to ASDA where I charged and shopped and wasted time before heading home.

My real point here, despite the hassle and cock-ups/misunderstanding on my part, it wasn't really stressful or worrying to be out of range from home without charge to get back. The situation could be so much better, but it actually works OK. I took a risk buying a LEAF and I took a risk driving out of range... but you know what, I allowed the time in my plans for the day and it eventually it did just work.

:)

There are some alternatives (it appears) which I later learnt via this conversation: https://speakev.com/threads/charging-in-peterborough.2366/

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been doing some research into range anxiety and what I've found does support what you've described here - you're clearly willing to take the 'risk' and as long as you don't have any pressing calls on your time and can find *a* charging opportunity, people with a reasonably level-headed and pragmatic personality style can deal with the planning required and be fine with limited range BEVs.

(All being well there might be an article on Transport Evolved soon all about the psychology of range anxiety :) )

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm slightly surprised that I've not suffered any range anxiety yet - I actually think I used to get more anxious in my ICE because the fuel gauges were really only guesstimates. I once broke down going up a hill in a car that thought it still had 50 miles range left - presumably the fuel intake was at the front of the tank and the incline starved it.

The closest I've been is after dropping the in-laws at Gatwick then heading to Pease Pottage. Even then I was only worried because the heavens opened and I was unsure just how much difference the heavy rain would make. As it was I made it with 5% (VLBW, obviously) so no problem.

But it's definitely all about the planning. it would be a very different matter getting VLBW and having no idea where the next charge point is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I suspect 'charging cost anxiety' will soon replace 'range anxiety' ;)
I note the smiley but think that the anxiety of being able to make the next stage in a journey - that is, being concerned about being able to make the next stop, be it home or another charging point - will remain an issue. I don't think for a minute that EV drivers have bottomless pockets but neither do they anticipate a free ride forever.

(And to be pedantic, being able to pay for a top-up is already a subset of range anxiety for a lot of people - regardless of fuel type.)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really didn't want to put £20 quid on the Chargemaster app, it's a complete con. You can go all the way to the "start charging" button before it says you don't have enough credit. FOR A FREE CHARGE!!!

But yes, morals and £20 aside it does make sense to have a full set of options.

This is all a temporary situation (temporary being measured in years I imagine) but it's bearable if you accept what you're getting in to beforehand and plan accordingly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts