Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wanted to report my experience after a couple of weeks of ownership and a trip to Heathrow from the Cotswolds.

So far, I've been manly using battery only, with one trip to the new (and fantastic) Gloucester services to check charging works from the Ecotricity rapid (it does). On the way back, the battery became exhausted after about 25 miles and kicked into series and parallel hybrid modes. The transition is a masterpiece of engineering and entirely seamless. Based upon terrain covered and some faster driving on the motorway, I believe the 30 miles claimed range is achievable under more benign conditions.

So, to Heathrow and the battery again gave up after about 25 miles of faster driving. On the motorway, it then attempts series hybrid mode (SHM) before quickly realising it is insufficient for the drain of 70mph. It then kicks into parallel hybrid mode (PHM) and on you go. For motorway cruising at reasonable speeds (up to 80mph for overtaking) it is entirely capable, but won't press you back into the seat. Studying the energy monitor screen, even with a depleted battery, it was interesting to see how often it managed to top up enough battery while driving and then reverted to battery-only mode for short stretches (say a mile). So, for example, if you descend a shallow hill on the motorway and ease off, you get that energy back in the battery not from regen but (presumably) from surplus engine power charging the battery via the generator.

We stopped once at Membury services on the M4 for a toilet break and (nerdy-me) plugged in to the Ecotricity charger for a quick 6-minute charge at 50A while we waited. Why not? No irate Leaf owners there to protest (;)). That took the battery from an indicated 30% (flat) to 48%! The next 6 or so miles were done on electricity only again.

So, what does this all mean? Well it was a 100-mile trip, I didn't hang about but neither did I speed like a zombie salesman type ... and I achieved a very respectable 60.7mpg for the trip.

Combine that with all my shorter battery-only trips and I reckon the claimed lifetime 150mpg is eminently achievable! The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is an awesome piece of kit ...

Eugene

PS. In addition, for what it's worth, my wife and I found the car very comfortable for the longer trip.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Interesting post thanks!
So far in 3 weeks we've done nearly 500 miles and not used any petrol (well, maybe, just a tiny bit for overtaking!). I'm the ideal PHEV owner as we tend to do mostly local driving and can plug in every night. I don't generally use it for commuting as I usually cycle, but I have been into Glasgow to try out the free parking and charging, just to check it works (it does :D).
The only slight downside is the 'MMCS' system, which controls SatNav etc., it's too slow and not very intuitive. It also doesn't give reliable consumption figures (for EV driving I mean), at last if you use very little petrol ;)
Looking forward to doing some longer trips once Partick Thistle get to play some away matches :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Eugene Lambert said:
So far, I've been manly using battery only, with one trip to the new (and fantastic) Gloucester services to check charging works from the Ecotricity rapid (it does). On the way back, the battery became exhausted after about 25 miles and kicked into series and parallel hybrid modes. The transition is a masterpiece of engineering and entirely seamless. Based upon terrain covered and some faster driving on the motorway, I believe the 30 miles claimed range is achievable under more benign conditions.
Did the rapid charge beyond 80%? I thought I'd seen that the Outlander won't charge beyond that on a rapid in which case (if true) 25 would be on course.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new car and please keep the updates coming as I'm slowly becoming convinced the Outlander ticks more boxes than most.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My experiences are consistent with these. 30 miles on a full charge is achievable in good conditions (with careful driving eg no A/C, no stabbing the accelerator).
DC rapids are fine, but yesterday I found four which were not working for one reason or another (M5/M42/M40), and couldn't use the AC chargers as there is no type 2 cable. This dented my mpg figures. DC rapids charge up to 80%.
I find it a practical car, fine in the city and on the motorway. Dealer support has been good and, short of driving a Tesla, I can't see a car that would be more suited to what is needed. I like it.
But I can't figure out why it has a handbrake?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Eugene Lambert

Mine's just had it's first fill up (apart from the full tank it had on the day I collected it) having achieved 1411 miles in almost 2 months. I got 198mpg out of that tank. :cool:
Wow! Great effort ...

Did the rapid charge beyond 80%? I thought I'd seen that the Outlander won't charge beyond that on a rapid in which case (if true) 25 would be on course.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new car and please keep the updates coming as I'm slowly becoming convinced the Outlander ticks more boxes than most.
Rapid charges only to 80% (discovered on previous test). And I'll keep the updates coming, as and when I take her on new adventures (such as towing a glider trailer to the north of England)...

·
Registered
63 Posts
It depends on the rapid charger, on some ecotricity chargers if you restart the standard charge once it goes past 50% it will carry on up to 100%, slowing down as it gets past 85%. On others the chargers seem to be fix to 80% max.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The charger will only give up to the amount the car agrees to take. In the Outlander's case that appears limited to 80% on a rapid.

80% of 32 looks around the 24/25 mile pure electric range so I'd only imagine topping up on longer journeys where I was planning a comfort break anyway.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For what it's worth, I have only tried a rapid charger once (at Braehead shopping centre), and it did carry on past 80%. (I was only trying it out to see if/how fast it worked, and I started with more than 50%.) I stopped it at something like 86% when it was still charging (albeit not very rapid by then).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Unusually I got a near 100% charge on a rapid yesterday on the Outlander PHEV. Normally I am finding that the ecotricity rapids stop at 80% and won't charge beyond that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
On ecotricity it takes about 23 minutes to charge from 30% to 80%, drawing around 50A.

If you then restart the charging, but select a timed charge it will charge beyond 80%. I got it to 90% from 80% today in about 10 minutes. Towards the end the current had dropped to 13A so I imagine the last 10% would take around twenty minutes or more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Went to Cambridge services today and a nice man with a Tesla S, (my 1st, live look at one, lovely car!) helped us use the charger. We have used it before but it was new then and didn't need the 'eco' card.

It's straight forward when you know how, got charged to 80%, which gave us another 22miles.
Didn't bother trying any more as was enough to get home.

·
Sust-it
22 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Welcome @Ross Lammas. Remember to update your profile to declare your commercial interests. We look forward to your contributions.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I've updated my profile accordingly - hopefully its all clear! Thanks
Sorry it's not because it doesn't display when you post to a thread. Could you add your interests to your signature please?

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts