Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great - it is now a month since I went to a petrol station and I feel this is a real milestone. I have kept the ac off and typically get a 30 mile range though this drops on the motorway. I am very pleased that I can do most of my journeys as BEV with the help of the rapids. Perhaps I will get the electric train for the long journeys.
I have the GX3h without the screen so I am thinking of getting out my old OBD2 gadget which I used on a Prius a few years ago to get a better understanding of what was going on. Getting a precise SOC readout could improve my range prediction skills and help get more accurate costings. Have any Outlander drivers tried this?
Thanks to everyone here for the invaluable advice.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,770 Posts
Could I ask if Outlander PHEVists could describe their EV range experiences? How far are you getting in practice, over winter and now the warmer weather is here?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I charge every night and occasionally when out and find a charger working!! experience is roughly winter 20-22....... yesterday 27mpg! :rolleyes:

·
30,770 Posts
I charge every night and occasionally when out and find a charger working!! experience is roughly winter 20-22....... yesterday 27mpg! :rolleyes:
Is that 27 miles?

Do you have a charge meter at all? How much does the Outlander actually draw to recharge fully?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the GX3h without the screen so I am thinking of getting out my old OBD2 gadget which I used on a Prius a few years ago to get a better understanding of what was going on. Getting a precise SOC readout could improve my range prediction skills and help get more accurate costings. Have any Outlander drivers tried this?
I have tried an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle with Torque on an Android tablet and it works fine giving lots of info about the ICE, and the auxiliary battery voltage, but nothing about the traction battery.
I presume the info circulates on the CANBUS but I guess it needs an App that specifically looks for that info and knows how to decode it. It appears Mitsubishi don't provide that info so it is down to us to work it out for ourselves.
I have got hold of an OVMS system and when I get time I will scan the bus and try to work it out, if others have not done so by then.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Difficult to be specific @donald because I rarely reach the limit of my range! Typically (recently) I see a 'GOM' reading of around 25 miles, but I live up a fairly steep hill, so I presume this is an underestimate..... I would say realistic EV range is currently between 25 and 28 miles. Up from around 18-22 miles in the winter. And we haven't really got to summer yet in Glasgow! (We very rarely get to 'summer' temperatures, though, even in August!)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Could I ask if Outlander PHEVists could describe their EV range experiences? How far are you getting in practice, over winter and now the warmer weather is here?
I would agree with @The Badger, my winter driving with the heater on low speed 19C, no air-con, was around 20-22 miles urban, 12-14 miles @ 50 mph on motorway after a rapid charge to 80%. Very dependent on terrain.
Now the weather has warmed up I notice I am getting much better mileage around town, about 25-27 miles. I haven't done any significant motorway mileage recently but will be doing so next weekend around the M25/M3 area so will find out then. I haven't put any petrol in the car for the last two months and despite the odd start-up due to me putting my foot down to accelerate hard out of a junction a few times the fuel gauge still shows full. I live in a flat and rely on a public charging post at the end of my road but have generally managed to get a charge when I need it, also using destination chargers to top up when I am out shopping etc.

·
30,770 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Really interesting, seems to be around the just-under-30 as the norm, say 20% under the NEDC and 2/3rds in winter.

How much of its battery does it actually use? It says '12kWh' but if that's true and it's less than 2.5mi/kWh it seems quite a high energy consumption.

·
Registered
412 Posts
How much of its battery does it actually use? It says '12kWh' but if that's true and it's less than 2.5mi/kWh it seems quite a high energy consumption.
From posts I've seen on the Outlander forums, it takes in the region of 9kWh or slightly over to go from empty to full. Certainly when I plug into a rapid on empty, it (the rapid) says I have 30%....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
During the summer, I can achieve 25 miles quite easily, but I live in a very hilly area. I also live at the top of a hill - so the first thing I do on most trips is to descend said hill while the battery is full and thus not benefitting from the descent (no regen when battery full). I get the sense that if I lived somewhere flatter, that 30 miles would be achievable.

·
30,770 Posts
If it's taking +9kWh to fully charge then let's say that would be around 8.5kWh usable or around 3.3mi/kWh summer, 2.6mi/kWh winter. Sounds fair enough for a big car. Average of around 3mi/kWh

It makes more sense with a figure like that - a litre of petrol will replace ~3kWh of electricity, so 3mi/kWh is 'equivalent' to around 40mpg.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It won't go much below 30% in normal driving (shows 1 bar on the battery), hence filling up at a rapid only puts in 50% (6KWh). Urban range comes from the 70% (8.4KWh).
To use any of the 30% you need exceptional circumstances, like running out of fuel (petrol) when it will then run as a pure EV to a lower level until it cuts out. I'm not sure exactly what point that is as I've never tried it. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
My commute is very regular and repeatable. It is 20 miles @ 70MPH with 2 big hauls from stationary up to motorway speeds.
I just do that on battery. Cold mornings might see me running out 1 mile before I arrive and today I had 2 miles left when I got here.
Recently when I was out for the day I got stuck in traffic and tootling along at 10-30MPH the range looks infinite and the battery meter just doesn't seem to drop.
Bank holiday weekend I got caught on my way home from work in monster traffic and arrived home with 10 miles int he battery still which is unheard of but does reinforce the idea that speed is the enemy in a battery vehicle but probably more so in a big square vehicle like a PHEV.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Last weekend, my first with the car, I got just under 29 miles on two round trips to pick-up and drop-off mum for Sunday; still had a virtual ~10% showing on the SOC bar - didn't check the range left; According to the display I did 98% on EV (I think the ICE came on when pulling away from lights a little aggressively a couple of time) and then I put 10.6kWh that evening (measure at the plug using a Maplins plugin power meter).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts