Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a noob on my first visit I went to the Trafford Centre to charge but apparently you need a card, which I now have, but all the charging stations seem to be type 2 sockets which are not supported by Mitsubishi so I am running on petrol until Keele services.

·
Registered
754 Posts
As a noob on my first visit I went to the Trafford Centre to charge but apparently you need a card, which I now have, but all the charging stations seem to be type 2 sockets which are not supported by Mitsubishi so I am running on petrol until Keele services.
What do you mean type 2 sockets not being supported. When I had my test drive of the outlander I was assured that my existing Nissan LEAFs type 1 to type 2 cable mated with the Outlander.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked Mitsubishi in Cirencester and the dealer. They don't supply the cable but said that Mitsubishi are working on it. I was wondering what they do in NL, whether the sockets are type 2. On the positive side the ecotricity rapid charging stations work well but I can't figure how to get a charge in Manchester.

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
You don't need to buy a type 2 to type 1 cable from Mitsubishi, they are available online for ~£150

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes one of the appeals to me of the Outlander, already having the LEAF as a second car was all of the existing networks, home charger, cards and cables could be used. In the NE we have a great network of city centre free parking on fast (3.5 & 7 kW posts) which would suit the Outlander. I'm not bothered that it's outlet is on the road traffic side because that stops pedestrians and scallywags from tripping and playing with the type 2 cable. Can someone remind me whether the Outlander can use the full 7 kW, but if not smaller battery presumably fully charged after 3 hours or less.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can access most GMEV chargers including those at the Trafford Centre with the Charge Your Car app. You must register a valid credit/debit card, but no need to add funds to use the free CP's. Too late for the OP, but the app works well, it's slower than the access card, but does the job.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
@Casper It's only got the 16 amp charger taking 3½ hours and the 3 pin brick at 5 hours for the 12kWh battery.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3.5 hours would have been fine as I was parked up for 4 hours. The dealer was of the view that a non Mitsubishi cable would void the warranty. I ended up running the ICE all the way to Shardlow.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
3.5 hours would have been fine as I was parked up for 4 hours. The dealer was of the view that a non Mitsubishi cable would void the warranty. I ended up running the ICE all the way to Shardlow.
Ignore that. I collected mine from Cheltenham/Gloucester. Handover was clueless. I gave up trying to correct the guy when he was talking about home charge points and warning me off taking a 32a charge point as I'd need a special cable. I stuck with him and stayed quiet until he started pointing at the CHAdeMO port telling me that was the 32A port and Mitsubishi didn't yet do a cable for it. After a few attempts I quit to a resigned "Huh" when it was clear he was getting annoyed, telling me I'm wrong, wanting to confidently assert his expert boss role. Nice job.

The 32A type 2/J1772 cable from @nuWorld Energy has worked perfectly. If Mitsubishi supply a 16A one you might possibly run into problems with 32A charge points rejecting them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Crazy how clueless some dealerships can be.
I would pick yourself up a type 1 to type 2 cable like this one https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=123
I got the same one for my Leaf (in orange) and use it every day. It arrived next day. Very well made and doesn't tangle up easily.
Worth getting a 32A cable even tho the Outlander is 16A as you can take the cable with you and use it on your next car. That's what I did.
Also pick yourself up a caravan cable bag like as they inevitably get grubby sat in the floor in the rain etc. something like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351017586296

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts