Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Only my second post on the forum, so please be gentle!

My name is Nigel and I'm the digital editor of What Car? My car for the next year is a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and I'll be writing weekly updates on the car on the site. Previously, I ran the Volvo V60 PHEV so I am getting pretty experienced with plug-in cars.

The first update is on the site now and you can have a look at it by clicking here, but I'm really enjoying reading all the various threads on here about how you are getting on with the cars, the dealers and so on. Any questions or queries, please shout on here and I'll get back to you.

Cheers
ND

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good first update.... looking forward to getting mine..... I've cancelled the extra cable I ordered as you can't lock it to the car (padlock) so will get one at nearly half the price with a trigger lock facility!
Looking forward to reading about the foibles so I know what to do when mine arrives! ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Gentle? as my mum said just ignore rude people. badger I am confused about cables and even what we need for the new phev. Can you enlighten. Amp, cable type etc. Locks?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Webby,
I am no authority on this as finding my way through the forest!

This link should help:

Besides the standard J1772 AC inlet, which can be used to charge from a J1772 AC charging station or from home outlet via EVSE cable attached in the trunk, it has a CHAdeMO inlet too.

The Outlander charges at 16 amps apparently:
  • 5 hours – normal charging (230V / 10A) Mode 2 & 3
  • 30 minutes – quick charging / up to 80% (CHAdeMO standard)
The Outlander comes with a Mode 2 EVSE (3 pin domestic) 16amp cable with the J1772 connector that goes to the car. (You cannot secure the cable at either end)
Example - https://evconnectors.com/portable-ev-charger/Portable-Mode-2-16a-J1772-EVSE-13A-Domestic-Plug-With-Sensor

A mode 3 cable has a type 2 connector that locks in to the 'public or home charging station' using a pin when charging, but the connector that goes into the car has a hole in the trigger on most cables and you can put a padlock through it to stop naughty people unplugging your car!
Example - https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=122

Hope I haven't complicated things!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
so I get this straight really our home charging is limited to 13 amps by the plug yet the lead is 16 amps. A home station would be 16 amps but would need its own lead etc. would it be as simple as replacing plug with 16 amp commander socket.
God dam. In the bad days it was desiel or petrol.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The home station is fitted on its own circuit off the consumer unit so can charge at 16amps, so it charges slightly faster, plus apparently it is not recommended to charge off the 13amp without getting your house electrics inspected and certified.

There are people that know the detail on here??

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree I have seen some horrible wiring over the years that would get very hot if it had to deliver 13amps for a sustained period. We use to have a compressor in the workshop that pulled 13amps and would be on all day. The socket and plug sure got hot. That was signed off by an electrician. We changed it for a commander socket and plug. Problem went.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great posts! And haven't had to ignore anyone as they have all been nice so far!

The cable I have is a Type 2 'Mennekes' on the male (wall) end and the Mitsi J1772 AC inlet on the other. The car end does have a lock-release on it, but I'm not sure whether it 'secures' things against unplugging, or just locates it in the socket.

I will take pictures and pop them up - Easier to show than tell!

Cheers

·
Leaf lover
4,421 Posts
Great posts! And haven't had to ignore anyone as they have all been nice so far!
Hello Nigel
As a driver of a lovely blue Leaf (gen.1 17,000 miles/annum) and a fan of What Car I often check to see if their review is being fair to my car.
Just checked again and still have mixed feelings.
In depth it seems fair but in brief it looks off-putting.
Perhaps now that we have a growing number of ev and hybrids we need a WhatEV.com?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Hello Nigel
As a driver of a lovely blue Leaf (gen.1 17,000 miles/annum) and a fan of What Car I often check to see if their review is being fair to my car.
Just checked again and still have mixed feelings.
In depth it seems fair but in brief it looks off-putting.
Interesting point. I took a look and thought that What Car understates the value of fuel cost savings in the 'Buying and owning' category and the 'Behind the wheel' score is low – from what I've read about the infotainment, timed charging and remote heating the score should be higher for any owner who has learned to use their Leaf.

The copy is a tad out of date on charging times – with home chargers and the 6.6 kW option, recharging times can be much shorter. And how often in practice does an owner run the battery down to zero before plugging in anyway?

The owner reviews are not very inspiring either. Two of the four were written by people who only had test drives.

·
Leaf lover
4,421 Posts
Yes I agree @Robwiz that it is basically out of date. They have the latest 124 mileage range figure from Nissan and some gen 2 stuff, but not enough.
I feel they are right to show the full list price but to not give people a proper target price (which is a big help when looking briefly at various cars) they are doing a poor job. Take the government grant off and the discounts being had then you are talking in the region of two-thirds those list prices.
I also take issue with “Leaf won’t suit many people’s lives”
Really what percentage of drivers on a regular daily basis need in excess of 60 miles?
Huge numbers of people could easily feel comfortable with this family car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@The Badger Rapid charging to 80% only takes 24mins as the battery is always at 30% charge even when the car says its empty.

And a polar home (charger 16A) charges to 100% in 3h 45mins.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fleet is the nearest one I think. And there is one on the M25 at the top of the A3 if you go anti clockwise.
Hampshire CC are putting some rapid chargers in, but mostly in West Hampshire:-

Ringwood

Romsey

Andover

Farnborough

Fareham

1 - 19 of 19 Posts