Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at this PHEV last week and I was a little disappointed to see that the charge ports were on the outside (driver side) rear. This means you have to nearly always reverse into charging bays and for on street charging posts your plug is sticking out into the road traffic. Imo It would have been better at the rear kerb side for most of the UKs on street charge posts or the front kerb side.

Here is a recent post showing it charging https://speakev.com/threads/show-us-your-ev.97/page-7#post-34545

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes you are right. Fortuitously I have to reverse up a very steep drive to park at home and the flap is in just the right place for my chargepoint. But I guess most of the world drive on the right and therefore flap is on the non-driver's side...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Japanese designed model and they drive on the left. You would think they would design it for their home country? You'd be surprised as to how many countries actually drive on the left..... Regardless of that, everyone will have to reverse into a rapid bay which in some busy locations can be a health hazard with following traffic.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A lot of companies tell drivers to reverse into spaces as it is statistically safer. The UK’s Highway Code actually encourages reverse parking. This is because reversing into a parking bay which remains static (just an empty piece of road/cement, nothing will suddenly fill it up) is safer than reversing out into a road/lane which may have constant traffic where you cannot see easily. Driving out forwards into the road makes it easier for you to look out for incoming traffic.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm with The Badger on this one. I always prefer to reverse into a parking space - much safer, particularly on exiting(!) - unless in a supermarket car park of course where you probably need easy access to the boot. Doesn't the i3 Rex also have a charge point in the same position as the Outlander PHEV?
As for countries which drive on the left: yes, quite a few, but reckon they are outnumbered by countries which drive on the right (actually 76 to 163, according to wikipedia). Overall would estimate LHD outnumbers RHD 3 or 4 to 1 in terms of global sales, though...

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
The front and/or the back seem to make most sense for me, side is just a petrol hangover it seems, and not very handy when charge points are in regular (already pretty narrow) parking spaces at car parks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Doesn't the i3 Rex also have a charge point in the same position as the Outlander PHEV?
It does which is fine by me seeing as that's the most convenient position for charging in my garage which is where 99% of my charging takes place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The front and/or the back seem to make most sense for me, side is just a petrol hangover it seems, and not very handy when charge points are in regular (already pretty narrow) parking spaces at car parks.
Putting it at the back would mean it would have to be below the boot cill, which would make it awkwardly low. Front is also a bit more problematic for a hybrid as there's an engine bay and associated cooling ducts etc. to navigate around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is a little annoying, guess we will have to make full use of the reversing camera ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts