Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not done long trips with the car yet but since the Outlander allows rapid charging, I was wondering whether anyone has used it for any other reason than initial curiosity and still uses it regularly. The electric range to be gained with an 80% charge doesn't seem to justify the bother, even less so when it stops being free with ecotricity (any other ?) What do other owners think ?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I make three types of trip in my EV:

1) Short trips that don't require a charge - anything up to 60 miles return. (probably 95% of trips at least)
2) Medium trips on my own or with my son - I will either use 16/32A fast charging at the destination, or will rapid charge before returning home - anything up to 100 miles return
3) Road trips on my own where I will use ten or more rapid chargers in a day to go hundreds of miles. I have only made a handful of these and even my son would not put up with all that charging.

If I need to make trips with the wife that would require a charge, I use the ICE as she gets impatient waiting for even a rapid charge.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I use it every time I go to my Girl friends place, I charge at fleet services, but it's only 76 miles but when I get there I like to have a full battery., but I will be taking the car to Devon I will need to do 1 maybe 2 rapid charges it's only 189 miles, and I will slow charge on the granny charger when I'm there

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I suspect @Olivier was asking the question specifically to Outlander owners...

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect @Olivier was asking the question specifically to Outlander owners...
I was indeed. The thing is that the Outlander combines the ability to rapid charge for quite a short range in the context of a long trip or to just go on on petrol.

Thanks for the answers though. However there is no doubt for me that for BEV with a typically longer electric range it makes perfect sense to rapid charge as it is that or the flatbed truck.

I'm changing the title to clarify the question

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be worth adding a poll and restating there too it's for Outlander PHEVs. I think you can do that on a current post/thread, if not just shout and I can add one for you.
Please do as I don't see the option anywhere. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
So that's the poll idea quashed!
If only there was some way of starting a new thread from scratch, to include a poll

·
Registered
493 Posts
OK I haven't been on any long trips yet, but fwiw, I wouldn't charge unless I was stopping anyway. Considering you'd have to stop for 20-25 minutes to get about 25 minutes' worth of 60-65mph driving (by my reckoning), you'd have to be pretty tight to think it's worth it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
My feeling is that most people will charge if they were stopping anyway but will just use petrol when on long trips. They have bought a PHEV for the very reason that they don't have to stop all the time and hang around waiting to charge when on long trips but still have the advantages of an EV when using the car for their daily trips on battery only.

If you buy a PHEV and stop to charge all the time then you would probably be better off with a 100% BEV.

Having said that... at least you have the choice :)

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was not thinking of doing every 30 miles to charge, that'd be rather silly, but rather use a rapid if available on a coffee break even knowing that you would only gain 30 electric miles.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I was not thinking of doing every 30 miles to charge, that'd be rather silly, but rather use a rapid if available on a coffee break even knowing that you would only gain 30 electric miles.
LOL! No, I am sure no one would be doing that... but I could imagine people potentially stopping more often to allow them to charge. Personally, I wouldn't ever stop to charge and only plug in if I were stopping anyway.

·
Registered
493 Posts
But you won't even get 30 electric miles unless you drive very slowly as it can only recharge up to 80%...

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
If you are stopping for a comfort brake and a coffee then IMO plug in, even if you only get 10 miles that is less CO2 into the atmosphere and more £ left in your pocket

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are stopping for a comfort brake and a coffee then IMO plug in, even if you only get 10 miles that is less CO2 into the atmosphere and more £ left in your pocket
That's the way I see it but my question was does the intention survive the hunt for a working rapid ? I'll have my own answer in a few months but was wondering what those who've had the car longer thought.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
That's the way I see it but my question was does the intention survive the hunt for a working rapid ? I'll have my own answer in a few months but was wondering what those who've had the car longer thought.
The only car on the market at the moment that I would concider changing my Volt for (that does not have a tesla badge) is the Outlander. The reasons are five seats and rapid charging, the 5 seats are nice but not important enought to change cars.
Keep us updated as to viability of the rapid charging on longer trips as I love the idea of a rapid charging PHEV

·
Registered
396 Posts
Only four weeks in, but I find the rapid charging stations a good opportunity for checking and writing emails, making phone calls etc so I stop to rapid charge on long trips whenever possible. If the the charging stations are down, or occupied, I drive on to the next one.
Of course, journey time is increased and is more leisurely.
It is possible to rapid charge over 80%, though I am not sure whether it is advisable.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@AndyG I agree... we considered very carefully the Outlander as a replacement for our Ampera when we wanted to replace it with an SUV. We liked the Outlander but with us using the car mostly for long trips (we use the Leaf for most short trips), well outside the battery range, we felt it would be more economical for us to get a diesel SUV and so plumped for the new Qashqai instead at about 60mpg vs the 35-40mpg without charging.

In fact... IIRC, Mitsubishi even say that they recommend the diesel if most journeys are over 150 miles between charges.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
@AndyG I agree... we considered very carefully the Outlander as a replacement for our Ampera when we wanted to replace it with an SUV. We liked the Outlander but with us using the car mostly for long trips (we use the Leaf for most short trips), well outside the battery range, we felt it would be more economical for us to get a diesel SUV and so plumped for the new Qashqai instead at about 60mpg vs the 35-40mpg without charging.

In fact... IIRC, Mitsubishi even say that they recommend the diesel if most journeys are over 150 miles between charges.

I completely agree if like you the car is only for long trips then the diesel is cheaper to run.
BUT after driving over the last 2 weeks 2500 miles in my Transporter (its not just a van it cost over 30K) the thrill of getting back into the Volt made me remember that even if an ICE was cheaper to run I would still rather have an EV.
My usage pattern and I guess that of most people should mean that in the long run the PHEV would work out cheaper.
Buy for most days and not the odd exceptional day is IMO the best option.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts