Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the big day when picked up Caravan and drove 50 miles home from Oxford to Camberley way.

In short very good. My previous setup was a 2000kgs twin axle caravan towed by a Volvo XC90 V8 4.4, to the current setup, caravan with a max weight of 1460kg, single axle and Outlander PHEV. I have to say I was really nervous how it would tow so chickened out a bit and drove only on motorway rather than go cross country and used battery save in the event I needed extra oomph.

On the motorway and a couple of steep hills it coped fine, for the first few miles I followed a lorry at 56mph then felt a bit more confident and went on my own. Everything was steady and it was a good tow home. Despite being on battery save it still used what was there from 70% 18 miles range when I started out to just 3 miles on the return, so on a longer journey when the battery is depleted will be interesting. MPG for petrol fell to about 35mpg but I was not paying much attention to that, just wanted to get back.

So not quite a normal journey but was a bit better than I thought. Next trip out will be in a couple of weeks and on the way back will not have any battery charge and a very short but steep hill to climb, that will be interesting.

Its passed its first test. Remaining concerns are: -
- What happens when battery has run down
- Range of petrol when towing and no electric is going to be low due to small tank, maybe 250 miles or less...

What was good.
- Being able to reverse it the car and van all of the way up the drive and around the corner something I couldn't do with the Volvo and previous van as Volvo had really bad turning circle and van was longer.
- Doing the above silently, that's why I wanted a bit of juice left in the battery just to do that :)

Super Moderator
What does the car do normally when battery save is engaged?

SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
Its passed its first test. Remaining concerns are: -
- What happens when battery has run down
The dealer told us that when the car doesn't let the battery charge go down below 30% as the electric motors do all the driving apart from when driving at higher speeds.

What does the car do normally when battery save is engaged?
It is supposed to keep the battery at the level of charge it is when it is engaged.

Registered
Sounds similar to Mountain mode on the Ampera except that is 40%

It means that the battery is kept up to make sure it is available if it is needed for heavy work... towing up hills for example :)

Registered
The dealer told us that when the car doesn't let the battery charge go down below 30% as the electric motors do all the driving apart from when driving at higher speeds.
That's very very interesting. CHAdeMO'd the PHEV on the way back from Wimbledon tonight. Was suprised the charger reported thirty something percent at start of charge when car showing zero EV range. Wasn't running in save mode, just default 暮et it decide mode. That might explain things.

SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
That's very very interesting. CHAdeMO'd the PHEV on the way back from Wimbledon tonight. Was suprised the charger reported thirty something percent at start of charge when car showing zero EV range. Wasn't running in save mode, just default 暮et it decide mode. That might explain things.
Yes that fits his description.

Registered
If the Outlander is anything like other EVs then it will not let the battery discharge too low. Getting Li-Ion batteries near zero charge totally wrecks them and the car systems would prevent that I am sure.

Super Moderator
Yes it would limit performance instead, you become restricted to the petrol engine output, which is only 117hp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts