Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else seen this on UK TV?

Tried to find it YouTube but couldn't see it there, interesting angle and very bold. Focus on creating a "revolution" and while the imagery was in some ways "eco" the voice over focused on MPG and benefits of mating "electricity and petrol".

Think this will sell REALLY well if they do this right.

I'm still an advocate of pure BEVs, but if this kind of hybrid "brute" serves as an gateway drug or stepping stone I'm all for it!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen it, seemed to concentrate on the mpg and the 4 x 4 but nothing about the electric only range.
Yep, it was quite interesting I thought, essentially saying get a "proper 4X4" but get better MPG (and lower emissions, and no road tax) than small cars. You can see the easy sell in that message, makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Yeah, the marketing is about right for it, don't think of it like an electric 4x4, more like a regular 4x4 that gets amazing "mpg". It's how Toyota should have done the plugin prius too, since an 11 mile electric range is a bit underwhelming...!

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Found the advert, saw it during the Champions League final so a very high profile slot.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I agree this car looks awesome. I hope it sells well, and as it has been said it will introduce people to EV ownership. People will demand it can do more than the 30 miles on the battery.

You would also think it would sell very well in London with the no congestion charge. Its big enough to deliver most things with the seats down.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
After watching this Mike Brewer makes me think I need the outlander more than my Leaf haha.

The All-New Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Benefits …:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Had a test drive a couple of days ago. The battery was below 10% so not much electric driving but feels and works like the volt/ampera with a much more audible engine reving note when you boot it.
Electric operating tailgate is a nice feature with button on dash and tailgate to control it. US/ Japan get an power AC powertool socket in the boot, we don't. Not even a 12 v boot socket for a cooler etc, all the more silly as that is where the auxiliary battery sits. The best part is the paddle switch regen with 5 settings in B mode. Setting 5 is as strong as the BMW I3 and offers single pedal driving. Electric heated seats but not steering wheel. Very simillar satnav to Leaf with timers and heating App. Generally a very nice vehicle and unique in its ability to tow. J1772 and Chademo are in a strange spot right rear quarter with petrol fill opposite side. I can't see how the current rapids could be used whilst towing just because of the limited parking space constraints and nose in parking only layout with no drive through rapids. Another real problem with the "national charging plan" or to be more precise complete lack of any cohesive one:rolleyes:.

·
Super Moderator
5,923 Posts
thanks paul, interesting it can charge its own batteries from the engine rather than just assisting the battery, is that a first ?
The Ampera/Volt have a setting called mountain mode which will charge the battery from the ICE.
Unless I need the extra grunt to climb a steep hill I never use it, as it is not as cost effective as using the ICE to supply just enough power to drive the car, and then re charge at my destination.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
While Mountain Mode will charge the battery back up to 40% if it is below that level when the mode is engaged that is not its intended use. It is designed to be engaged before the battery drops below 40% thereby allowing the battery to hold 40% as a buffer for when climbing steep, long climbs.

Actually, Mountain Mode is no different to Normal Mode which also holds a minimum battery setting, except that the buffer level in Mountain Mode is higher. The way it maintains the buffer is essentially the same as in Normal mode when the battery drops to the Nomal low level.

@AndyG is corrrrect though... in the case of both the Outlander and the Ampera, in fact, all PHEVs,... it will always be less efficient to charge the battery using petrol/diesel as the power source rather than the grid.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I went to go have a look at one of these at lunchtime and was really impressed.

I know it's the salesman's job to tell you how in-demand they are but I got the feeling he wasn't actually BS'ing. His test drive slots were booked up for the foreseeable (only doing 3 per day as wanted it to start fully charged) and they'd already sold all of their initial allocation. He said if one was ordered today it'd be September delivery.

I didn't have too long to look at it as someone else was booked in to take it out but I can see how this'd be a great family car.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Congrats maddog. Looking forward to see how you get on with it.

If you can post some more photos that would be even better ☺ what model did you go for?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.