Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Do all Outlander PHEVs always have real (i.e. animal) leather?

Or does it depend on what options the original purchaser chose, or the model year, or something else?

Thanks if anyone can help. Happy Easter.

If you don't know for sure the answer, it could still help if you can comment what yours have.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
The base model GX3H has cloth seat panels with plastic shoulders. No leather - but also no sunroof, no MMS/SatNav, no electric heater...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for helping out. I suppose no electric heater means no heated seats and you would have to had the petrol motor engaged to heat the car and potentially demist etc. On the base model, could you use hot air to help keep the windows demisted while still running pure EV mode do you think. Using mostly electric power, I am not sure how that would work. I would want to be able to use no petrol at all for short journeys, or very little.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I suppose no electric heater means no heated seats and you would have to had the petrol motor engaged to heat the car and potentially demist etc. On the base model, could you use hot air to help keep the windows demisted while still running pure EV mode do you think. Using mostly electric power, I am not sure how that would work. I would want to be able to use no petrol at all for short journeys, or very little.
Correct assumption's … for any cabin heat the engine has to be running and warmed up, so winter driving would always require engine use, unless the trip is so short that the engine wouldn't warm up anyway...in which case turn the cabin temperature selector to minimum (15 degrees Celsius) and the engine won't start unless you want any vigorous acceleration (relatively speaking … it's not a rapid car :) )

I'm fortunate in that I also have a LEAF that I did use for school runs etc. so used that mostly for the shorter local trips, pre-heating in the cooler weather.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Just to clarify, in versions without the electric heater,
can I
A - still drive in pure EV mode with heat on so, just using the engine somehow for the heater only, and it turns the petrol engine on purely to create the small amount of heater energy, but using elec for all the propulsion
or
B - am I forced to burn only petrol to propel the car (rather than use electricity for propulsion) any time I want to drive with the heater on?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Think of the engine as an electricity generator whenever it is running. It doesn't directly power the wheels except when there is some surplus engine power and you are cruising in excess of about 50mph, when a direct drive to the front wheels only occurs too - otherwise it feeds electricity to the battery to power the traction motors.

If you need heat, the engine starts and warms up, heating the cabin after a mile or two. It then cuts in and out as necessary to top up cabin heat. Traction is powered by the battery. The engine tops that up if is running to generate heat. When the battery is used up, then the engine runs all the time to recharge the traction battery, producing heat as a by-product.

On long trips (150 miles +) when the battery is used up in the first 20 miles or so, I return about 35 to 38 miles per gallon (UK). The worst I achieved towing a large caravan into a headwind up to Scotland was 13mpg on one tankful.

Over nearly 39,000 miles I have averaged 50.5mpg (UK), with a best tankful of 136mpg - when I must have done quite a few journeys electric only in warmer weather.

·
Registered
343 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts