Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dragged to the cinema to watch mary poppins 2, during the ads the new 2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid ad came up on screen, the theme being it is the future, as it drives past horse and carriage, jalopies, model T, land yachts, etc then through a crowd of heavily polluting cars, and then past a guy stuck at the side of the road charging his EV (!) and during the 1 minute ad the only words they say are 'blah blah blah self-charging hybrid' with the idea that this is the ultimate clean technology. What absolute crap, even my diesel qashqai dci emits only 112 g/km whereas the corolla is 132 g/km and its mileage at 39 - 63 is also nothing special. I know Toyota hate BEVs but isn't this a bit much?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Haha and the EVer was even made to look like a nerd, as opposed to the super cool Corolla driver!

Must be laws against this kind of stereotyping ;-)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
Yes Toyota, self charging from its on-board fossil fuelled engine. You haven't made a magical car with perpetual motion machine, otherwise you wouldn't be selling cars.

That felt like explaining why coal is bad to Trump......

·
Registered
952 Posts
It would be fun to go into a Toyota dealership and ask what BEV offerings they have. When they try to sell the superiority of their Hybrids or FCEV's it would be amusing to explain why they are dead technology and that I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I just have better things to do with my time, but I can't help but think that unless consumers tell the Toyota dealers that they want EV's the message won't get fed back.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,301 Posts
Is this the first time you’ve seen an advert? :)

As can be seen from the reaction here, it’s alienated a few EVangelicals, but it’ll probably appeal to many more who don’t know one end of a charging plug from the other.

That just might be a good thing if it gets people like that looking into alternative power for cars at all.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
It would be fun to go into a Toyota dealership and ask what BEV offerings they have. When they try to sell the superiority of their Hybrids or FCEV's it would be amusing to explain why they are dead technology and that I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I just have better things to do with my time, but I can't help but think that unless consumers tell the Toyota dealers that they want EV's the message won't get fed back.
They will get the message when people stop buying their cars. Already happening with the Prius.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2016 RAV 4 hybrid which is coming to the end of it's lease. I have enjoyed the car as it is comfortable and does everything I want but it is not an EV. Had Toyota released a new version as a plug-in or full electric it would be my next car of choice. When I went to the showroom to ask about the details for end of lease I was asked if I was buying a new car. When I said I was and it would be an EV that was the end of the conversation. No trying to sell me anything from their range. It was almost like the salesman felt the same as me about 'self charging hybrids.'

1 - 20 of 198 Posts