Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does the ZS EV have a display of outside temperature? My wife uses this constantly on her current car and would be dismayed if it didn't exist on our new soon-to-be elivered MG! I would have just assumed that this feature would be there as in all modern cars, but I heard something on a youtube review which suggested the MG doesn't have an external temperature read-out. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whaaaaattttt!!! - that's just extraordinary in this day and age! With the high equipment level in this car, I'm simply amazed. Does the Thiland version have it??!! :)
Another thing on our list of software upgrade requests to MG...
I'll try connecting to the OBD2 port with Torque Pro and see if I can extract it from there (if indeed the car has a temperature sensor at all)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a wireless outside and inside temp gauge from amazon for £30 that works great , have been trialling it in the house until i pick my MG up tomorrow , it has been very accurate , so will be happy to have it in the car and the batteries last 2 years. have also bought a heads up speed display (which i will miss from my Kona ev) which looks pretty good too also from amazon for less than £30.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is a bit odd, isn't it? I have two solutions:

1: A £2 probe thermometer, off ebay, sitting on the dash, with the probe sitting in the gap at the front of the drivers door. Works well

2. When I have Android Auto connected, I can say: "Hey Google....what's the weather" Works well.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Whaaaaattttt!!! - that's just extraordinary in this day and age! With the high equipment level in this car, I'm simply amazed. Does the Thiland version have it??!! :)
Another thing on our list of software upgrade requests to MG...
I'll try connecting to the OBD2 port with Torque Pro and see if I can extract it from there (if indeed the car has a temperature sensor at all)
I'll be interested to know how you get on with the OBD - it may not be as straightforward as some think...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an interesting thought (the Amazon wireless temp guage) which one do you have? I'll have a look...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
what is it with women and temperature - my wife, Kate off James and Kate, the wife mentioned here - they're all weather fanatics - can't they just look and feel ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's an interesting thought (the Amazon wireless temp guage) which one do you have? I'll have a look...

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
2. When I have Android Auto connected, I can say: "Hey Google....what's the weather" Works well.
Or just look at the top right of the screen when in AA? ;)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
But if you leave home and it is cool, but it drops below or down to freezing during your drive, you may not be aware of the temperature drop.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
No external temp reading, but they do give you TWO "time of day" displays at the same time !.
One in the drivers dash panel and another one on the info screen in the centre.
One of these should be the external temp display, the one in the dash panel I would suggest, what do you think ?.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
No external temp reading, but they do give you TWO "time of day" displays at the same time !.
One in the drivers dash panel and another one on the info screen in the centre.
One of these should be the external temp display, the one in the dash panel I would suggest, what do you think ?.
But if you use CarPlay, you do not have the time displayed.....

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
But if you use CarPlay, you do not have the time displayed.....
Thanks Mike !.
I mainly use the radio and this would explain the "Dual" time displays.
On CarPlay, does it not mirror your phone screen onto the info screen of the car ?.
If so, can you not see the time of day that has been captured from the phone's front screen ?.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is a bit odd, isn't it? I have two solutions:

1: A £2 probe thermometer, off ebay, sitting on the dash, with the probe sitting in the gap at the front of the drivers door. Works well

Ive noticed also on my MG ZS ev,when on Android auto the outside temp is displayed on the top of the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe that the Android Auto screen temperature reading is the internal temperature of the phone. I'd be extremely surprised if it's a reading of ambient temperature outside the car! That would mean that the car does indeed have a temperature probe, but that it somehow reports it's temperature only to a connected Android device. I don't think it does that (would be wonderful if it did!! :)).

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Outside & internal temperature gauge install

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Thanks Mike !.
I mainly use the radio and this would explain the "Dual" time displays.
On CarPlay, does it not mirror your phone screen onto the info screen of the car ?.
If so, can you not see the time of day that has been captured from the phone's front screen ?.
No it doesn’t. It displays the CarPlay Screens.

I believe that the Android Auto screen temperature reading is the internal temperature of the phone. I'd be extremely surprised if it's a reading of ambient temperature outside the car! That would mean that the car does indeed have a temperature probe, but that it somehow reports it's temperature only to a connected Android device. I don't think it does that (would be wonderful if it did!! :)).
I would have thought that it came from the internet and was the local weather temperature.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts