Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting Guardian article on the recent surge in UK EV sales, obviously likely to increase further due to recent fuel issues.
Font Material property Happy Writing Number

I’m surprised how high the eNiro sales are and the e-tron.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve got an ID3 Tour but I have to admit the ENiro 4+ ran it really close and is in my opinion a better car in some areas -efficiency, material quality. Don’t be surprised it’s still a brilliant car!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Interesting Guardian article on the recent surge in UK EV sales, obviously likely to increase further due to recent fuel issues.
View attachment 150799
I’m surprised how high the eNiro sales are and the e-tron.
I'm surprised how high Model 3 sales are, given the woeful build quality and viable alternatives out there now for size/performance e.g. Polestar.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm surprised how high Model 3 sales are, given the woeful build quality and viable alternatives out there now for size/performance e.g. Polestar.
Tesla's come over from China in batches, so September will be high.

Build quality is excellent, at least it is on my three week old car. The Polestar is not an alternative as it is a different segment car (crossover/SUV). It is also significantly more expensive once you add a few packs to bring it up to the standard trim level in the Tesla.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it’s because they use more advanced processor chips which they have stock of, whereas everyone else is using chips that are a generation older and struggling to get hold of. One of my colleagues was due to get his Polestar 2 yesterday and they called him at 5pm the night before hand over to tell him that it’ll be another week due to a software issue picked up at PDI 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tesla's come over from China in batches, so September will be high.

Build quality is excellent, at least it is on my three week old car. The Polestar is not an alternative as it is a different segment car (crossover/SUV). It is also significantly more expensive once you add a few packs to bring it up to the standard trim level in the Tesla.
The chinese Tesla’s are supposed to be much higher quality than the USA built versions.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,355 Posts
I think the Tesla build quality issues, like ID.3 software problems, are now a legacy thing with the MIC cars. There seems to have been a real step change.

I’m not surprised by the sales numbers for the M3 (boat arrivals notwithstanding), they’re by far the most common EV I see out on the roads.

Anybody remember when the Leaf was seemingly the only EV out there?!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Due to it being one boat a quarter divide tesla sales by 3. Still in lead, though when you add all vag into one lump might look different.
At this time though very different cars and market needs that to get more ice drivers into ev

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see many more Tesla’s than anything else around my patch, Yorkshire.
I personally still see Tesla as mainly a pricey niche sports car like brand. I’ll believe EVs are really cutting through when the likes of ‘affordable hatchback’ ID3 significantly outsell them.
On eNiro I agree it’s still a nice car and was 2nd on my list.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I saw this. It is great news, for the brand, confidence and resale

A few things to note:
1. Congrats to Tesla, I think this was the first month ever that an electric car also topped the general sales list
2. This was before the current fuel delivery crisis. Will be interested to see it develop over the next few months after apparently a surge of interest in EVs
3. 2 will also be helped by the big increases coming in petrol/diesel. When I had my ID3 delivered in July, petrol was 113. Its now 148. That is going up over the next few months due to global increases and supply. This of course will be further infected by inflation if/when the US passes the nutty $3trillion spending bill :eek:

rgds

·
Registered
702 Posts
I saw this. It is great news, for the brand, confidence and resale

A few things to note:
1. Congrats to Tesla, I think this was the first month ever that an electric car also topped the general sales list
2. This was before the current fuel delivery crisis. Will be interested to see it develop over the next few months after apparently a surge of interest in EVs
3. 2 will also be helped by the big increases coming in petrol/diesel. When I had my ID3 delivered in July, petrol was 113. Its now 148. That is going up over the next few months due to global increases and supply. This of course will be further infected by inflation if/when the US passes the nutty $3trillion spending bill :eek:

rgds
I wouldn’t be too sure……not after electricity prices went up roughly 500% in the past month or so……EVs will,still be cheaper to run but the gap will narrow, a lot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wouldn’t be too sure……not after electricity prices went up roughly 500% in the past month or so……EVs will,still be cheaper to run but the gap will narrow, a lot.
That's a good point, although Gas is going up more, and petrol/diesel has:
1. A distribution issue which electricity doesn't have
2. Electricity has multiple ways of generation, including renewables. Petrol/Diesel only has one source, and a small number of countries

Lastly, there is a push to get people to use electricity off-peak, as it cheaper overall in terms of evening out the supply. Things like Octopus's off-peak tariff will become more widespread, and stay much lower cost then fossil few for many years to come

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why surprised at the e-Niro? If you don't want a "big" car, your choices are somewhat limited. We knew we didn't want a M3, Kona had bad press with battery recalls at the time, so our choice was basically between the e-Niro and the ID.3 for a small family hatchback.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why surprised at the e-Niro? If you don't want a "big" car, your choices are somewhat limited. We knew we didn't want a M3, Kona had bad press with battery recalls at the time, so our choice was basically between the e-Niro and the ID.3 for a small family hatchback.
The Niro is 5 years old, the eNiro is not a purpose built EV design and it is relatively expensive although the long range 2 has helped with that. It’s big EV brother is also coming on stream.
But in the end it keeps selling because it is pretty damn good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Critical volume. Tesla is simply a household name now. Qudos to them
Also don't underestimate the Telsa super charger network. Influences alot of people as "infrastructure" is key issue folk raise when thinking about moving to EV

Also, the Tesla is a really nice car. I like the Id3 better, but I did realy enjoy the Tesla test drive. One of the things that put me off was their reputation for service if you have a problem. Not sure if that is improving recently.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,016 Posts
I’ve had mine since June and am yet to spot any of the woeful build quality you refer to.

Good news re the ID3 volumes. With all the other variants on the platform I imagine VW outstrip Tesla by some margin, which is as it should be given the price points.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,355 Posts
I’ve had mine since June and am yet to spot any of the woeful build quality you refer to.

Good news re the ID3 volumes. With all the other variants on the platform I imagine VW outstrip Tesla by some margin, which is as it should be given the price points.
The Lease price point is the key, a lot of the M3s on the roads are company car hacks, higher spec 3 series BMW cars were in a similar ball park if I remember correctly.

Company user choosers have fallen for the M3 in a big way, like they did with the 3 Series BMW when it’s good residuals over an equivalent Ford/Vauxhall made it a cheap to lease vehicle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re 'woeful', I'd wager the majority of Tesla owners are happy with the build quality. I certainly am with mine (1yr+ MIA) and the servicing is preferable than any Audi, Lexus, VW or BMW I have had in the past. Only had to use it once for a seat control my wife kicked off and they came to my house and fixed free of charge. Try getting any other manufacturer to do that.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts