Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That’s just hyperbole I’m afraid, unless you’re judging by a very narrow criteria.

Tesla make some good cars, for sure, but they’re not ‘wiping the floor’ with the competition at all.

The M3 has some strengths absolutely, but some competition has turned up particularly recently which leave it looking weak in some areas too.
Based on a sales rate approaching 1m cars per annum globally most buyers are voting with wallets for Tesla and the competition is truly being wiped. No one has anything that can beat the overall Tesla price and performance package in the segments they operate in as evidenced by the increasing demand and sales. This gap is likely to get even wider as Model Y is rolled out broadly and Cybertruck in the US. Eventually lower cost models to compete with the likes of VW in cheaper segments like the iD3.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Based on a sales rate approaching 1m cars per annum globally most buyers are voting with wallets for Tesla and the competition is truly being wiped. No one has anything that can beat the overall Tesla price and performance package in the segments they operate in as evidenced by the increasing demand and sales. This gap is likely to get even wider as Model Y is rolled out broadly and Cybertruck in the US. Eventually lower cost models to compete with the likes of VW in cheaper segments like the iD3.
I consider myself a buyer for the model Y.
The ID3 is the first non-suv I have had since being a student (not telling my age 😉 ).

The only reason the wife gave me clearance to buy a 5 seater is that fact that our eldest daughter is now on her year off.

So why didn't I get the model Y ? The price. For the same, or near money, I prefer a car company with the heritage to make quality products, and a proven service network, I would much prefer an Audi etron, or even better, a BMW iX

However the space in the ID3, its cool looks and it's relaxed but powerful drive left us thinking, why pay £30k more for a bit more boot space, they we would only ever use if flying with two large suitcases and multiple carry on bags. As we only do this twice a year, we can just take an uber

Saying that, we took 3 kids and all the luggage on holiday this summer to Chester, north Wales and Liverpool. And had plenty of room in the boot for everything.

The ID3 was an absolute joy to drive. As I said before, my biggest mistake was underestimating my PCP mileage, as my wife likes the car so much she finds excuses to drive it ....

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,428 Posts
So, quite a narrow criteria then, as I said.

Tesla can’t be ‘wiping the floor’ with vehicles that aren’t even on sale either.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
If you talk about global figures you have to mention that ID3 is not sold in the US and is just in the process of being launched in China. Also ID4 has only been available for a few months anywhere.
Tesla is fundamentally a niche sports car company. I suspect that’s firmly where they will be in 10 years time when all the historic large brands develop a full range of EVs.

·
Super Moderator
12,030 Posts
Tesla is fundamentally a niche sports car company. I suspect that’s firmly where they will be in 10 years time when all the historic large brands develop a full range of EVs.

It all depends on Cybertruck. At the moment Tesla are a niche company. While they are doing very well in the sedan segment sedans are a small segment. If Cybertruck does well and Tesla are able to deliver in volume, they are not going to be a niche company anymore.

The only real competition to Cybertruck is the Ford F-150 lightening. GM's entry is $110,000 for the base model. The Dodge Ram electric isn't going to be here until 2024 at the earliest.

Tesla do not presently make a sports car. VW don't have one either. A few years ago, there were rumours of a new Scircco EV but that didn't happen. I think of cars like Lotus Elise, Chevy Corvette and Mazda MX-5 as sports cars. When or if it comes to market the Tesla Roadster will be sports car. I doubt Tesla will sell more than a few thousand Roadsters a year.

What Tesla build now are sedans and hatchbacks that take market share from Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Spend a few days driving around Los Angeles and you can see what is happening.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you talk about global figures you have to mention that ID3 is not sold in the US and is just in the process of being launched in China. Also ID4 has only been available for a few months anywhere.
They were saying the same thing about Tesla 10 years ago that it will be bankrupt etc.
I suspect your prediction will turn out to be as wrong as those from 10 years ago.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
It all depends on Cybertruck. At the moment Tesla are a niche company. While they are doing very well in the sedan segment sedans are a small segment. If Cybertruck does well and Tesla are able to deliver in volume, they are not going to be a niche company anymore.

The only real competition to Cybertruck is the Ford F-150 lightening. GM's entry is $110,000 for the base model. The Dodge Ram electric isn't going to be here until 2024 at the earliest.

Tesla do not presently make a sports car. VW don't have one either. A few years ago, there were rumours of a new Scircco EV but that didn't happen. I think of cars like Lotus Elise, Chevy Corvette and Mazda MX-5 as sports cars. When or if it comes to market the Tesla Roadster will be sports car. I doubt Tesla will sell more than a few thousand Roadsters a year.

What Tesla build now are sedans and hatchbacks that take market share from Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Spend a few days driving around Los Angeles and you can see what is happening.
Tbf it may be a different story in America which now has a huge current of nationalism.
Elsewhere in the next decade I think Tesla will increasingly decline as other manufacturers get their act together and more experience under their belts.
We’ll see.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
So, quite a narrow criteria then, as I said.

Tesla can’t be ‘wiping the floor’ with vehicles that aren’t even on sale either.
It is already doing so with existing models

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Also I believe Model Y has now overtaken Model 3 sales in the US.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
They were saying the same thing about Tesla 10 years ago that it will be bankrupt etc.
I suspect your prediction will turn out to be as wrong as those from 10 years ago.
The difference is all manufacturers now have to develop non-ICE cars and quickly, to meet legislative and political deadlines like 2030.
Anyway enough of Tesla.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The difference is all manufacturers now have to develop non-ICE cars and quickly, to meet legislative and political deadlines like 2030.
Anyway enough of Tesla.
Yes they are being dragged away from ICE very reluctantly whilst still having the ICE legacy for many years to come. Unlike the clean sheet for EV only companies like Tesla.

·
Super Moderator
12,030 Posts
Also I believe Model Y has now overtaken Model 3 sales in the US.
When I was in Los Angeles last month, Model Ys were everywhere. Mostly white ones.

North Western Montana is still mostly pickup trucks, with a good scattering of Subarus and large SUVs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wouldn't turn this into a discussion on Teslas. Its definitely a good business that was ahead of its time, but it has not been at all profitable until very recently, and has been propped up by the US government indirectly.

how things play out forward is not certain . Tesla has targetd the premium market, and that will mean it can never be a top player. Now VW, Ford, GM are engaged, and a plethora of Chinese manufacturers (my niece loves her MG), its all to play for ...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

The original tesla roadster was an expensive sports car, the new roadster isn't a sports car with a quarter million price tag and hypercar performance its a supercar at the very least.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Anyway enough of Tesla.
All manufacturers in EU, much of South East Asia, Japan etc.

A lot of the rest of the world are going to continue to use ICE for the foreseeable, including pretty much all of the USA (except California), all of Africa, Australia, South America, Russia Middle East etc. The move to EV is still a minority decision worldwide.

·
Super Moderator
12,030 Posts
The move to EV is still a minority decision worldwide.

Time for that to change, especially in the USA.

Part of the problem is most EVs are unsuitable for places like North West Montana. The winters are cold, there are plenty of dirt roads and it can really snow.

In the winter you need ground clearance and AWD. Plenty of people have a summer car that goes into storage and they drive a truck or SUV with studded tyres over the winter.

The Ford Mustang MachE has 14cm of clearance and AWD. I'm not sure if that will cut it. The Tesla Model Y is 16.8cm. That might be enough if you stick to areas that get plowed.

The one <$100k BEV I'm sure has enough clearance is the F-150 Lighting.

Even in areas that are plowed there are berms you have to get over.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts