Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, what range are people getting indicated after an overnight charge, from home charging station.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
New here, what range are people getting indicated after an overnight charge, from home charging station.
That's a good question ?.
I have owned my car for about 7 weeks now and successfully conducting over night delayed charges, as and when required to suit our needs.
I am setting the charging time scale's in an attempt to avoid hitting the 100% charge to protect the battery life a little.
I think the most miles I have seen displayed on the GOM after almost a full charge was around 150 miles ?.
This is with every thing turned off on "start up" of course !.
Interesting to hear what other members are seeing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good question ?.
I have owned my car for about 7 weeks now and successfully conducting over night delayed charges, as and when required to suit our needs.
I am setting the charging time scale's in an attempt to avoid hitting the 100% charge to protect the battery life a little.
I think the most miles I have seen displayed on the GOM after almost a full charge was around 150 miles ?.
This is with every thing turned off on "start up" of course !.
Interesting to hear what other members are seeing.
I've only done two but both time it's only registered 138, which seems a bit low

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Okay - Don't forget the predicted mileage figure reported on the GOM is based on your previous use and driving style over the last few days.
Hence the word GOM !. o_O

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay - Don't forget the predicted mileage figure reported on the GOM is based on your previous use and driving style over the last few days.
Hence the word GOM !. o_O
So longer the drive the higher the charge, only had it 3 days 100 mile on the clock. Should I expect the indicated mileage to increase after a night charge

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think the range learns at all. After a full full charge at work it always suggests 167-172 in eco. I think the range prediction is based on what you would be able to do if you kept driving the way you are now, rather than being based on what you have done before.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I drive in Normal mode with heating on and I am getting the range showing in the GOM, typically around 135-140 miles.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
225 Posts
We've had our car now for just over a month, and have been charging at 7kw every night (Ohme charger). We usually see 147-152 miles on E, 10 miles less (137-142) on N. This is with the car stationary when first turned on in the morning after the charge, before it is driven. It has varied a bit, with last weekend showing 167 miles on E. This was after the car was charged from almost empty (20 miles left). It does seem as though the indicated range depends on the amount of charge in hte battery when charging starts. The more empty the battery, the higher the range indication in the morning. Is this other folks' experience?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I see between 167 and 172 on E and around 155 on N after a full full charge from a point with the yellow battery light on. Is it more likely to do the equalisation charge when starting from a low SOC?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I see between 167 and 172 on E and around 155 on N after a full full charge from a point with the yellow battery light on. Is it more likely to do the equalisation charge when starting from a low SOC?
I don't think so. My understanding is that for any multi-celled lithium battery, the equalisation routine is the final part of the charging cycle. And it is a vital part of maintaining battery health, so much so that the manual for our C-Zero states explicitly that you must do a charge to full at least every two weeks. I was surprised to see @Carty post here that he is not charging to 100% to preserve the battery. I think that's the exact opposite of what should be done.

On our C-Zero, that final "top-up" to full takes a long time after full charge is registered on the battery gauge until charging finally stops. (granny charger) Are you waiting for the charge to finish, or assuming it has because the gauge says so?

I'll be curious to see if there's any advice in the ZS manual when the car arrives next week!

·
Registered
235 Posts
That is what I thought I had seen. The periodic equalisation charge to balance the cells. Balanced cells would have a better output efficiency and therefore better range. Perhaps when I see the 172 remaining it is after this process but where I see 165 it has been a normal charge

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I was surprised to see @Carty post here that he is not charging to 100% to preserve the battery. I think that's the exact opposite of what should be done.
I stop the charge early to prevent the car sitting with the HV fully charged to 100% UNLESS we intend driving away within an hour or so.
Having the car sit idle with the HV battery fully charged to 100% on a constant basis is not good for the battery I think.
I have no problem charging the battery to 100% if we have a long journey planed.
Otherwise I will charge to about 80 to 85%.
Plenty of mileage to make the car useable, but not over stressing the HV battery by overcharging just for the sake of it really.
I have similar feeling about running the HV battery to low on a regular basis also.
I am slowly learning how to balance the amount of delayed charge time required, to give us enough range but without automatically charging to 100% EVERY time we charge.
E.G. - If we had roughly 50 miles remaining after our daily use, then I will set a delayed charge for about 4 hours on “Off Peak” which will take the HV battery to about 80 ish %.
I will check the range and % to full when I first get up in the morning.
If it’s around 80 ish % and we are NOT making a long journey, then I will stop the charge.
If I need more range, then I leave it to continue to charge.
Works for me anyway !.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I was surprised to see @Carty post here that he is not charging to 100% to preserve the battery. I think that's the exact opposite of what should be done.
I stop the charge early to prevent the car sitting with the HV fully charged to 100% UNLESS we intend driving away within an hour or so.
Having the car sit idle with the HV battery fully charged to 100% on a constant basis is not good for the battery I think.
I have no problem charging the battery to 100% if we have a long journey planed.
Otherwise I will charge to about 80 to 85%.
Plenty of mileage to make the car useable, but not over stressing the HV battery by overcharging just for the sake of it really.
I have similar feeling about running the HV battery to low on a regular basis also.
I am slowly learning how to balance the amount of delayed charge time required, to give us enough range but without automatically charging to 100% EVERY time we charge.
E.G. - If we had roughly 50 miles remaining after our daily use, then I will set a delayed charge for about 4 hours on “Off Peak” which will take the HV battery to about 80 ish %.
I will check the range and % to full when I first get up in the morning.
If it’s around 80 ish % and we are NOT making a long journey, then I will stop the charge.
If I need more range, then I leave it to continue to charge.
Works for me anyway !.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
I think that's the exact opposite of what should be done. On our C-Zero, that final "top-up" to full takes a long time after full charge is registered on the battery gauge.
Quite agree. It should be done on a regular basis. It's not necessary to fast charge to 100% every time, but the more times that you don't get all the way to balancing the batteries the longer that final bit will take.

Reactions: VinceWilliams31

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
100% charge is not going to be 100% of the actual battery capacity, it never is. The BMS will limit it. In a Tesla the BMS can be overridden if the user wants to occasionally charge it more but the default is always that a full charge is not what the battery is capable of.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts