Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
Wow, a 6.5Gb download and only via the sim whilst driving? Low mileage drivers might take a while to even download it…

Then there’s the 3hrs 40min install time, which apparently will happen when the car is locked/not being used.

Anybody know what the multifunction camera limitation is that you have to acknowledge via email?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
150 Posts
Wow, a 6.5Gb download and only via the sim whilst driving? Low mileage drivers might take a while to even download it…
No kidding! Word is that future updates should be smaller, but this will take quite a while… (luckily it sounds as though mine should ship with 2.3 😊 - assuming the tracker has not been fibbing 😉)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Then there’s the 3hrs 40min install time, which apparently will happen when the car is locked/not being used.

Anybody know what the multifunction camera limitation is that you have to acknowledge via email?
I suspect it is due to the need for memory, the camera needs to use memory when it is working, a lot.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,778 Posts

I get 120Mbps on a 2 bar 4G connection, so my bad maths says that’s 7 minutes for a 6.5GB download.

6500GB / (120Mbps/8bits) = 433 seconds = 7 minutes

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
55 Posts
Is there a reason they don't just allow it over WiFi when parked up and on charge?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Is there a reason they don't just allow it over WiFi when parked up and on charge?
It's probably a minefield of messing around with legal ramifications for using a wifi connection belonging to an individual (even if you do consent), with different rules in every country etc. I expect it's easier for them to just use their ringfenced 4G connection and not have to worry about any of that.

It will also avoid the possibility of anyone trying to hack the data if it's not available to any system outside the car.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
150 Posts
I get 120Mbps on a 2 bar 4G connection, so my bad maths says that’s 7 minutes for a 6.5GB download.

6500GB / (120Mbps/8bits) = 433 seconds = 7 minutes
That sounds like an unusually fast 4G connection. 4g.co.uk says this:
4G (4G LTE) offers typical download speeds of around 20Mbps and theoretical ones of 150Mbps.
Assuming their “typical” 20Mb/s (=2.5MB/s), 6500MB equates to 2600s, or 43 minutes. Assuming continuity of connection, no contention problems (at server end or network), etc… and there will be plenty of places where even this is optimistic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I get about 5 Mbits/s where I live, so it is more like 3 hours for the full download. I only hope the download is resumable, and it does not restart after every drop-out.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
429 Posts
It's probably a minefield of messing around with legal ramifications for using a wifi connection belonging to an individual (even if you do consent), with different rules in every country etc. I expect it's easier for them to just use their ringfenced 4G connection and not have to worry about any of that.
My iPhone manages to do it, but my car won't.

I hope this changes as I have 1 bar of 4G in the car on the drive but a very strong wifi signal.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hmm...should I be excited or uncertain. I am a First Mover. I have a transport hitch, which seems to have made the 1.0>2.0>2.1 updates take a little longer at both dealership visits.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I watched Battery Life's vid earlier and it doesn't sound too exciting. If it can somehow make the system more responsive and faster to start-up, that would certainly be good. Having the VW logo or a flag on the home button is of no interest to me really.

·
Registered
60 Posts
so is it going to fix:

The auto mirror dipping on reverse?
Voice recognition being triggered with any old conversation that sounds remotely like "Hello id.3"?
Recognition of invisible speed limits and atuo-braking for them?
Auto wipers working?
Laggy inputs/reactions?

getting a little frustrated by the software now

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's what I mean - there's lots of issues like this and they're farting about with logos and flags and getting rid of that diagonal stripe that runs across the screen.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
so is it going to fix:

The auto mirror dipping on reverse?
Voice recognition being triggered with any old conversation that sounds remotely like "Hello id.3"?
Recognition of invisible speed limits and atuo-braking for them?
Auto wipers working?
Laggy inputs/reactions?

getting a little frustrated by the software now
Most of those should be fixed by 2.1, which version are you running?

Auto dipping of the passenger mirror in Reverse has always worked, but auto wipers on mine only worked after 2.1.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,778 Posts
That sounds like an unusually fast 4G connection. 4g.co.uk says this:

Assuming their “typical” 20Mb/s (=2.5MB/s), 6500MB equates to 2600s, or 43 minutes. Assuming continuity of connection, no contention problems (at server end or network), etc… and there will be plenty of places where even this is optimistic.
I just tested my cheaper Plusnet 4G and still got 73Mbps. Of course, it all depends on how fast the car is equipped to download.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,778 Posts
That's what I mean - there's lots of issues like this and they're farting about with logos and flags and getting rid of that diagonal stripe that runs across the screen.
There were lots of small undocumented fixes in 2.0/2.1 which made the car much better. I'm hoping for the same again. VW are much more likely to headline new features than admit they are fixing bugs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts