Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used an oil extractor on their Passat? Strong advice from chaps over on the Golf GTE forum is that I shouldn't tolerate overfilled oil level. As getting it to a dealer is very difficult at the moment (shielding) I tried using a thin plastic tube down the dipstick tube, but couldn't get it down very far. Before going on Amazon to buy a pump, I just wanted to hear whether anyone has had good experience with an oil extractor? Should the tube go into the oil filler rather than the dip stick tube? My car is a 68 plate GTE estate.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You're in luck. Lidl have an engine oil pump coming up on their special buys. I have one of these from a few years ago and it works brilliantly. It has a very small tube that you put into the dipstick tube.

I once removed about 1/2litre of excess oil above the max fill from an engine. Yes, that was on a flat surface with the engine left off overnight. I put it down to the mechanics not really caring about the engine as much as I do. Whether or not it made any different I don't know, but it made me feel better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thought I would do a follow up in case it might help others in future.

Unfortuantely I wasn't able to ger the Lidle pump that Johnny recommended. A pity, as the syringe I bought from Amazon is pretty pathetic. I chose it because it is supplied with various connectors. However none of the tubing supplied was long enough, stiff enough or thin enough to do the job. In the end I used some fairly rigid 5mm tubing that came with a Waxoyl kit (designed to protect the chassis of old cars with ladder type chasis). I managed to use one of the adaptors to join it to the syringe, but when the engine was cold the oil was far too viscous to be drawn up the tube. The length of tube required to get down to the sump is 55cm. There are a few obstacles on the way down that require a bit of fiddling to get past - but it will go all the way if you persevere. In the end I managed to get the syringe to actually work once I had got the engine nicley warmed up. And as I had to draw off nearly a litre of oil to get the dipstick level down to 'max', I am glad I did!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
Anyone fancy explaining to me where the extra "oil" comes from? :devilish:
To avoid going down some rabbit holes, generally it is not overfilled by the garage at a previous service, nor is it the oil fairy (or mythical beings of any sexuality).
Excess oil can be a bad thing in an ICE, particularly if it gets carried into the emissions system. But that's not the worst that can happen to an ICE which is normally caused by contaminated oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts