Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the scheduled charge overnight on my leaf regularly. I'm also considering swapping to a new electricity tariff. As I understand it then Octopus Go, for examples is cheap between 12:30 and 4:30 so could schedule an end time of 4:30 but start time would be up to the car. For Octopus Agile then cheap is whenever they decide it's cheap. Is there a way to make the charge more intelligent? So can tell it to charge when at a certain price? Or even start and end at a given time?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,905 Posts
There are many ways. Getting a charger that understand ToU is a good idea however if you have a dumb charger, consider getting OhmeEV cable

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I use the scheduled charge overnight on my leaf regularly. I'm also considering swapping to a new electricity tariff. As I understand it then Octopus Go, for examples is cheap between 12:30 and 4:30 so could schedule an end time of 4:30 but start time would be up to the car. For Octopus Agile then cheap is whenever they decide it's cheap. Is there a way to make the charge more intelligent? So can tell it to charge when at a certain price? Or even start and end at a given time?
I would tend to use the start time and always start at 12:30 - the reason being, if the total charging time is going to be more than your 12:30 to 4:30 window, you're better off for the spill over to be at the end of the cheap tariff window, because the last hour or so is mostly balancing with little power drawn.

So say it's going to take 5 hours in total to charge, if it charges from 12:30 to 5:30, that last hour is going to be very little power drawn outside the cheap window, however if it charged from 11:30 to 4:30 due to the 4:30 end timer calculating a start time of 11:30, that 11:30 to 12:30 period will be at full charge rate while 3:30 to 4:30 will be at a very low charge rate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Am so used to the end charge had completely forgotten you can set a start charge time. That certainly adds some flexibility thanks.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Wow. Am so used to the end charge had completely forgotten you can set a start charge time. That certainly adds some flexibility thanks.
I prefer to use the end charge time because it lets me delay charging as long as possible for battery health reasons, but for maximising utilisation of a cheap tariff window I think using the start charge time is the best way to do it.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,379 Posts
That cable looks interesting, thanks.
Does your LEAF have a Type 2 or Type 1 connector? If the latter consider the fact that your next car is likely to be a Type 2 connector (even LEAFs have been since the update in 2017/8), and hence if you purchase a Type 1 it will be only for the life of your current car. Unless you are saving a lot it may not be economically worthwhile.
@DBMandrake 's advice about the low power consumption at the end is spot on, but only relevant if you charge above 95% which isn't ideal for maximising the life of a LEAF's battery.
What charge point do you have? They are generally fairly easy to modify to suit basic Agile support if you are handy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts