Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dennis - I see you're in the US... I'm wondering how folks source the hardware in the UK. Also, does it do what you need it to, or is it a bit of a disappointment?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey I use OVMS with my Mitsubishi I-Miev ! There are two ways to source the hardware... I made the mistake of using the principal link which made me wait for it to come from China. I think there is actually UK stock if you order via the 'European' shop.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd also point out, the software is a bit buggy, but to be able to monitor things remotely, it's such a nice thing to have. Sometimes I have to reboot it and it doesn't always detect charging, but some of that is due to quirks with the imiev itself, such as the fact that the canbus is 100% silent when the car isn't on. That said, the main thing I wanted is to be able to remotely see my SOC and it does generally do that. I'm currently looking to sort out intetragion with ABRP, but I've been snowed under with work/family/personal things lately and haven't had time to do any testing there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's really interesting, Jgpev, thanks a lot for responding. I'll check out the european site, if I can find it. As you say, the only link they send you to is the chinese one, which is currently on holiday for chinese new year!

·
Registered
140 Posts
that's really interesting, Jgpev, thanks a lot for responding. I'll check out the european site, if I can find it. As you say, the only link they send you to is the chinese one, which is currently on holiday for chinese new year!
here’s the link for the eu supplier:

I’m not entirely sure how the vehicle support is for MG, but as it’s open source, always extensible!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brilliant! thanks a lot, Jgpev! I've just ordered my unit. I'll let you all know how I get on with it :cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We also have a Kia E-Niro on order, so if I can't get the unit to work usfully on the MG, I'll simply move it to the Kia (which is listed as supported)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,933 Posts
I don't believe that there is proper support for the MG yet, and don't forget that you are also going to pay around £1/month for the data.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't believe that there is proper support for the MG yet, and don't forget that you are also going to pay around £1/month for the data.
Yeah, tbh I'm pretty happy with that price. So far I have yet to exceed the base allowance... but if I get abrp and/or the v3 MQTT data working, might need more at some point.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I can help with beta testing for the MG, I'll be very happy to. I'm a computer consultant myself, with some software development background, so would be happy with running in debug mode, etc.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the GPRS modem and just run with wifi/bluetooth while testing, so the data bundle isn't used up (or charged in PAYG if that's how it works)?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the GPRS modem and just run with wifi/bluetooth while testing, so the data bundle isn't used up (or charged in PAYG if that's how it works)?
As far as I can tell, it can work entirely offline. You actually have to register it to a server if you want the iOS/Android app to work, but there is a local web interface that you can access over wifi. It has built-in wifi and can both create a local wifi network, as well as join your existing home wifi, presuming you can park your car near enough your house!

In fact, the firmware updates are by default configured only to work OTA when on wifi...

Realistically, if you are cool just using the web interface, you're probably good to go. I will say, my only complaint with the web interface is it keeps forgetting I'm logged in and requiring me to log in again, but otherwise, you can access everything. There's also SSH available and a rudimentary set of commands to query the vehicle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can't you just take the SIM out?
I would think so, but you could just turn off the modem in the web interface. The modem is actually not on by default when you first configure the unit. In order to get the modem working, you have to set up the sim card... so if you didn't want to set up the hologram sim that came with it, I think you could just use the wifi and then decide later if you wanted to activate hologram or provide your own SIM. If you have an advantageous mobile contract that allows data sharing on extra lines, that might be an option... although I still haven't seen a better deal for the data usage I've had so far than the hologram SIM. This may change, of course!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts