Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone fitted this? If so can you point me to the right place for a kit of parts and reassure me that a) I'm not giving any data to anyone I wouldn't want to and b) someone can't hack the car!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
true but I'm not driving that at 70mph!
OVMS and all other CAN Bus tools have the potential to corrupt car data and all come with a disclaimer saying "use at your own risk" or similar.

I've used OVMS for 3 years or so in a Tesla and never had a problem :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes, I have OVMS on the Volt. It works well for charge status and location reporting. Reported tire pressure is accurate and a lot of other data is accurate. It is not perfect, however... so I hope to have the opportunity to fix and improve many things on OVMS for Volt (and other cars) over the next months once I get some weightier matters resolved.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have OVMS on my Ampera. Works well for charge status and location. It is still very much a work in progress and more functionality will become available as it gets developed but it is a community project so that will happen as and when people find the time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. If you don't mind helping me a bit further...
Is that Fastech site the only outlet, if so how much do you actually pay in £'s (roughly for $99)?
If I buy the Car module $99, GSM antenna, GPS antenna and DB9 lead is that it?
is there some software jiggery pokery to be done, any software tools to buy?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Get the GPS antenna, the GSM antenna, the DB9 lead (if they have one - they were out when I last ordered and I needed the other orientation), and the OVMS module. That's the minimum you need. If you want to do firmware upgrades later (and you do since it will be improved) then you'll want the USB programmer handy at that time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ovms on the outlander that's going to be fun to try. Do you think there will be any extra info above what is available in the car?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Do you think there will be any extra info above what is available in the car?
In theory OVMS would be able to read and publish any information that is available on the CAN bus in the car. The problem is in deciphering the messages into something meaningful and then getting that coded into OVMS... it takes a fair bit of time and effort.

So if there is information on the CAN bus which is not seen on the displays in the car, then it could be made available with time and effort on someone's part.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is the info not in a standard format. I had a look at the ovms website but I am struggling. I will give it another look

·
Electrician
69 Posts
Get the GPS antenna, the GSM antenna, the DB9 lead (if they have one - they were out when I last ordered and I needed the other orientation), and the OVMS module.
Hi Lee,
Is it the right or left orientation DB9 Lead that is required for the Volt/Ampera.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Id love to see this developed further for both my Tesla Roadster and the Volt.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Does the OVMS display charge rate on 2012 Ampera as it does on the Tesla Roadster?

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
I'm just considering buying this for my 6 month old Ampera. Is it still worth the £100 outlay? and are they still updating it?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm just considering buying this for my 6 month old Ampera. Is it still worth the £100 outlay? and are they still updating it?
It is useful for state of charge, and location.
But it needs Ampera owners to muck in with decoding the Canbus messages.

It's on my todo list, but to date I haven't had a chance.

As I charge away from home all the time, I find it useful just for peace of mind...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts