Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Doing the impossible.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone I am in the middle of development of an android app that does what OVMS/Onstar can do and more like roll all windows up or down, ajar trunk, ect. All you need is a spare android phone with sms or data services and OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter connected to OBD2 port. Would anyone be interested in such an app?

Link to my dev page in google play store
MyVoltApp - Android Apps on Google Play

If you are a tester and I have your gmail this link will only be valid to accept being a tester and download MyVoltStar
Sign in - Google Accounts

Screenshot_2017-02-01-19-46-44-1.png Screenshot_2017-02-10-09-21-33-1.png

Below are screenshots of sms messages to and from car.
Screenshot_2017-02-07-17-27-19-1.png 2017-02-07_17.29.22.jpg

·
Doing the impossible.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds interesting, any plans for iOS support though ?
It is possible with IOS but with the OBDLink MX Wifi. Once development completed for android I will focus on IOS and OBDlink MX Wifi.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,934 Posts
So it can do all the stuff like remote turn on heating and the like?

Quite a few people were trying to get that working for OVMS and failed. OVMS is an open platform so if you have managed to work out the CAN bus messages to do this then why not get in touch with them and integrate it on to the OVMS box instead of another phone with another SIM card etc?

This is really good news though so well done.

·
Doing the impossible.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
link to myvoltstar doesnt work in Australia and I cant find the app in our store
I will have to add your country. This app is not released yet. Still in alpha testing.

·
Doing the impossible.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it can do all the stuff like remote turn on heating and the like?

Quite a few people were trying to get that working for OVMS and failed. OVMS is an open platform so if you have managed to work out the CAN bus messages to do this then why not get in touch with them and integrate it on to the OVMS box instead of another phone with another SIM card etc?

This is really good news though so well done.
It can do the same functions as Onstar in NA. This is for Volts and Amperas. Reason why I am asking because I made my own solution in this app since I already had the hardware of having spare phone with service and OBDLink MX which I use for other things. I did look at OVMS at first but it does not fit my needs and it did not have 100% similar functionality as Onstar. Also they do not fully support GMLAN which is part of OVMS lacking hardware. OBDLink MX supports GMLAN wake up pulling the bus to 12V which you need to wake the car up then send the correct wakeup messages. I needed a solution that was easier to customize for myself. I am in the process of figuring out Onstar Nav. I already found out how to change charging from delayed to immediate and vice versa, get TPMS readings, ect. This app will surpass OVMS in most aspects.

·
Doing the impossible.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The OVMS project is about to launch V3 hardware so perhaps anything that your solution needs can be added.

Keen to hear more about how you managed to reverse engineer the Volt/Ampera messages.
If V3 can support GMLAN/SWCAN out the box then maybe. I am not looking into modifying an existing solution. The OBDLink MX handles all communications for GM vehicles and my android app handles everything else.

All I did was sniff the bus and issue commands from Onstar App. I used a basic serial terminal program to read and log data. Then I used excel to format data into a pivot table. Then it took a few hours a day for over a week or so to pain stakenly sort out what message are useful on SWCAN bus. Getting the data is not the issue, It is decoding over 3k frames which is very time consuming.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,934 Posts
I'd like to have a look at the app but when I click the link to the Google Play Store above it just takes me to your lifetime mpg reset app.

By the way, as that app is Android 4 and above, I presume the same might apply here? I have an old Galaxy S (1) which is Android 2.8 but that's it. My old S3 which would have worked completely died recently :( Any reason why it couldn't work with older Android versions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm very interested in this app. I have been using OVMS for about 1.5 years now, and must say it would be great with more of the missing features. For instance av way to start preconditioning. Lock, unlock and temperature inside car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very interested myself - are you likely to open source the app and / or provide any details on how to command things like preconditioning? I was looking into creating a little box to do something similar myself, mainly so I can precondition my car from my desk at work!

·
Doing the impossible.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very interested myself - are you likely to open source the app and / or provide any details on how to command things like preconditioning? I was looking into creating a little box to do something similar myself, mainly so I can precondition my car from my desk at work!
It is not open source but to find commands is not that hard if you know how and where to look. The main issue is hardware compatibility with GMLAN. Only two adapters can talk to that bus correctly which is The OBDLink MX blue or wifi modules. My app will take care of any features you need.

·
Doing the impossible.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very interested in this.
If you are connecting the Phone via bluetooth or wifi link to the ODB2 port, what is the charging solution for the phone when the car is parked for longer periods of time?
As long as you have the phone always connected to the charger in the car. My app can activate the 12v power outlet when battery is low and will stop charging once full.

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
As long as you have the phone always connected to the charger in the car. My app can activate the 12v power outlet when battery is low and will stop charging once full.
I have a couple of other questions.
1. Can your app also activate the charging of the 12V battery from the main traction battery?
2. Can your app isolate which chargers are turned on? Or will it simply turn them all on? I have a dashcam attached, which auto records when it detects power.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts