Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all might know on this forum, OVO energy have a deal with Mini - 5000 miles of free charging and 2 years of Polar Plus membership if you own a Mini and switch over. Has anyone here done it and have they noticed their bills decrease? Would Octopus be better in the long run as they have very cheap off peak tariffs. Be nice to have free Polar membership although I might rarely use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in exactly the same position. I've just ordered a Mini and should get it around Christmas time. I'm now debating whether to go with OVO EV Everywhere or would I be better off with Octopus? There are not many Polar chargers where I live which is not very helpful. I was with Tonik Energy until last week when they went t*ts up. It looks like I'm being moved to Scottish Power so when that's sorted I can make the move the to a supplier of my choice!
Any information or advice on what to do next would be greatly received. The 5000 free miles is tempting for the first year with OVO but I would need to change to an Economy 7 tariff to gain the full benefit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made the plunge and switched to Ovo. Seemed to go very smoothly and updated at every step. Website works which is more than British Gas website and app which hasn't worked at all for me in the last 10 years. The 5000 free miles comes as £11 refund each month. The Polar Plus fob came within 2 days of signing up. Where I live all the chargers are CYC (Northumberland and Tyne&Wear) and are free but the Polar card does activate them which is better than the unreliable app. I've never seen a Polar charger in the wild but I guess they are out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So you decided against Octopus then in spite of Polar chargers being thin on the ground like here in North Lincolnshire. What were the deciding factors for you? Are you on Economy 7?
How are you getting on with the Mini?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's quite possible Octopus might have been cheaper, I don't have an Economy 7 meter, just some generation of Smart meter, I'm not sure. I liked the £20 annual saving for a CYC card and the fact that I might in future get good use out of a Polar card given that the network is expanding and includes ChargeYourCar and BP Chargemaster networks as well, travel outside of Northumberland and paid for charging points will appear! I'm also pretty sure the free charging in the area will eventually end (I think it was some agreement between the local councils and CYC).
Love the Mini, fantastic car. I've owned 2 previous petrol Mini Cooper S before, the electric is another league in performance. It's just so nippy! Haven't done any >120 mile journeys where I would need to plan stops but may never happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that, I didn't know about the CYC chargers. I think same as you I will give EVO a go for a couple of years. I need to get a smart meter fitted to to take car of the off peak element.
We had an overnight Mini test drive last week and got on very well with it. For the first half hour of the drive the range with max regen was actually going up! It was a fun car to drive and we really enjoyed the one pedal driving. The lights were also very good for country road driving. We've not had a Mini before but always fancied one so i thought this would be a good toe in the water to try out electric driving. My wife wanted a Peugeot E208 but I've talked her out of it! The Peugeot was a good car to drive but I thought the Mini was much more fun and felt quite special to be in. We just need a build date now and a VIN number before the OVO December 31st deadline for the Mini offer.
Thanks again for your input.
Geoff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts