Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is it still the case that the car needs to be plugged in most days between 5pm and 7pm to make it worthwhile?
Not at all. Rhe purpose of the trial is to work out these kind of things. I often get home after about 630pm - mine is often still discharging at 10pm.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are there any plans to make this available to people with other makes of car that have CHAdeMO sockets for DC charging? Like the Kia Soul (2018).
This trial is with Nissan so not under this trial.

We will be developing a unit with a CCS connector in the future but the standard behind it isn't very well setup for V2G.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey Mike if you have any spare units, I'd happily take one

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos
Plenty under the trial.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Unsure on income tax rules for V2G - you may be the first to have asked the question and I doubt HMRC have even thought about it yet.
What about VAT - my supplier (Utility Warehouse) charges me 5% VAT on imports, but does not allow any VAT credit on the presumed exports from my solar panels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Mike,
Thanks for posting notification of the changes. I didn't qualify for the original trial but possibly do now.
As with my understanding of V2G can I assume that while the car is plugged in and with no microgeneration available that our domestic requirements would be covered by the car battery?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just did a price comparison, the cheapest ovo electricity tariff was 16.8p per unit and would cost me £450 more pa than my current tariff. I would love to go v2g but can't see who it could make sense with these sort of prices?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Mike,
Thanks for posting notification of the changes. I didn't qualify for the original trial but possibly do now.
As with my understanding of V2G can I assume that while the car is plugged in and with no microgeneration available that our domestic requirements would be covered by the car battery?
Afraid not. This is V2G where we optimise to support the grid. The battery is discharged when grid carbon is high or the wholesale electricity price is high. Energy is consumed by the house before going out to the grid, essentially offsetting your house in these periods. you can see the times this happens in the app screenshots in the first post.

V2H (home) can be optimised to match house loads with the same hardware but this is not the purpose of this trial.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just did a price comparison, the cheapest ovo electricity tariff was 16.8p per unit and would cost me £450 more pa than my current tariff. I would love to go v2g but can't see who it could make sense with these sort of prices?
This is my worry to. Would cost me an extra £15/month. Not sure yet what payback I would get.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
... which would give a notional profit of £2.60( £676 per annum)...
Also would exporting 20kWh per day be exempt from income tax under micro generation rules.
I'm not an accountant, but I was wondering if the profits I make from manufacturing & selling a few Ampera spare parts would need to be declared to HMRC. A bit of querying hunting found me this page:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income
where it appears I'm ok to earn up to £1000 p.a. without any notification or tax due. I'm retired, so this sideline (may earn me a couple of hundred £ p.a. maybe) comes below the "trading income" threshold mentioned.

I would assume that anyone here, in a similar position, could regard V2G profits as trading, surely? And if, unlike me, they're doing other trading already (sole trader, Ltd company, anthing else?) then V2G profits would simply add a bit more to what they already declare & pay tax on.

If someone is an ordinary employee, do they get this same allowance? I'd hope so. Presumably that kind of work doesn't count as "trading".

But don't take my word on this as gospel - it isn't! YMMV. Any accountants here who can advise?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Afraid not. This is V2G where we optimise to support the grid. The battery is discharged when grid carbon is high or the wholesale electricity price is high. Energy is consumed by the house before going out to the grid, essentially offsetting your house in these periods. you can see the times this happens in the app screenshots in the first post.

V2H (home) can be optimised to match house loads with the same hardware but this is not the purpose of this trial.

Thanks for reply Mike and especially on a Sunday.
I've registered my interest in the trial so look forward to receiving an official response in due course. I've a few more points I'd like clarified before signing up but presumably will have the opportunity of doing so with the team before I do!

·
Registered
818 Posts
On the point of battery degradation, I am minded of the Taxi company down in Cornwall, maybe others, who were rapid charging their cars several times a day and from what I remember the batteries seemed to survive, but I may not have remembered this correctly.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
On the point of battery degradation, I am minded of the Taxi company down in Cornwall, maybe others, who were rapid charging their cars several times a day and from what I remember the batteries seemed to survive, but I may not have remembered this correctly.
See the attachment slides at the bottom of the first post of https://www.speakev.com/threads/the-battery-health-thread.18923/ C&C taxis pushed their first Leaf down to 74% of battery capacity in 3.5 years, but in this time they had done over 150,000 miles. Somewhere in the 772 posts of the thread are the posts by C&C taxis.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just had a reply from OVO and Leaf 24s are not included if the battery is still under warranty though that is still under discussion with Nissan. Probably read that as not advisable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This trial is with Nissan so not under this trial.

We will be developing a unit with a CCS connector in the future but the standard behind it isn't very well setup for V2G.

Hi Mike

I moved over to OVO because of the V2G trial, but unfortunately changed my car to a Hyundai Ioniq because of it's adaptive cruise control which is great on the M1, and I couldn't afford a 40kWh Leaf. So I would love to be one of the first to get one of your units with a CCS connector. Are we talking years before one might be available?

Tony

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi Mike

I moved over to OVO because of the V2G trial, but unfortunately changed my car to a Hyundai Ioniq because of it's adaptive cruise control which is great on the M1, and I couldn't afford a 40kWh Leaf. So I would love to be one of the first to get one of your units with a CCS connector. Are we talking years before one might be available?

Tony
Hoping next year some time - but balancing priorities.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hmmm....
30p per KwHr is generous however 16.8p per KwHr is quite pricey and also quite a lot more than the 13.7 previously mentioned. So which is it? 13.7 looks workable but 16.8 may require some man maths to get close.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hmmm....
30p per KwHr is generous however 16.8p per KwHr is quite pricey and also quite a lot more than the 13.7 previously mentioned. So which is it? 13.7 looks workable but 16.8 may require some man maths to get close.
The import rate will vary based on location. OVO signup process will show what it is for you.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts
About this Discussion
114 Replies
21 Participants
Hermit Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing