Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My only gripe currently is that even though we can keep the v2g charger, I've been told it will revert to a dumb unit at the end of the trial which can only charge.
Hi Alex, caught up with OVO about this today.

At the end of the trial, OVO will aim to keep the unit under the control of the Kaluza platform, with it continuing to function as it has done throughout the 2 years. If for some reason this isn't possible, then there may be other options, such as utilising the charger as a V2H (vehicle-to-home) unit, which will be explored and explained to you at the time.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Alex, caught up with OVO about this today.

At the end of the trial, OVO will aim to keep the unit under the control of the Kaluza platform, with it continuing to function as it has done throughout the 2 years. If for some reason this isn't possible, then there may be other options, such as utilising the charger as a V2H (vehicle-to-home) unit, which will be explored and explained to you at the time.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks for looking into that for me, sounds good.

V2h would be very attractive if all else fails as it would be a waste to have such expensive hardware just being a dumb charger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks Mike, the FAQ is quite short, do you know if the waiving of deemed export payments is forever?
Afraid I don't know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm glad I read this all the way through. I have 3kw solar FIT install with 18 years left. Wanted to be on the trial early on but OVO rejected my 2011 24kwh leaf even though its well out of warranty and I own the battery. Knowing you have to waive the FIT if makes no economic sense for me and probably a lot of like minded people who have solar and a FIT. Shame really.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is that but it also depends on your export payment rate too, which to me is 1/3 of the overall FiT payments and at the more recent lower rates.

Seems I'd get paid about 5x more, and for what I'd actually export. Not so good its a no brainer, but potentially you could get 10 years worth of export payments in the trial?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just read the FAQ and it seems pretty clear you keep the fit and only lose the deemed export payment.

The economics may depend a lot on whether it becomes a charger post trial or can still be used for v2g or v2h. The maths for us is quite complicated, currently with deemed export we try and use PV to charge car, iboost etc. If export is worth more than import but no longer deemed then we would want to use as little as possible of PV production to maximise export at 26p a unit as we can replace it with import at 16p a unit...complicated.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Just registered my interest. Not 100% convinced yet but will weigh up the options.
Certainly a better proposition than previously.
Biggest factor is i hope we get to switch to V2H some time soon.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
There is that but it also depends on your export payment rate too, which to me is 1/3 of the overall FiT payments and at the more recent lower rates.

Seems I'd get paid about 5x more, and for what I'd actually export. Not so good its a no brainer, but potentially you could get 10 years worth of export payments in the trial?
Also instead of exporting get sun immersion and heat the water? Better return than FiT? You still get generation abs you can get into the trial

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just applied again incase I'm wrong about all this, worth an investigate if indeed the FIT itself isn't waivered only the export. BTW @Mike Schooling do you know whether the trial can support a household that has two eligible EV's?

Basically we already have a leaf but would probably push us to change our diesel van to an env200 sooner. Having one or the other plugged in all the time would make more sense for OVO but I wonder how the app and system would cope with two different batteries.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just applied again incase I'm wrong about all this, worth an investigate if indeed the FIT itself isn't waivered only the export. BTW @Mike Schooling do you know whether the trial can support a household that has two eligible EV's?

Basically we already have a leaf but would probably push us to change our diesel van to an env200 sooner. Having one or the other plugged in all the time would make more sense for OVO but I wonder how the app and system would cope with two different batteries.
When I spoke to OVO Monday they said it's only one Leaf. It's linked to the cars VIN somehow.
That said the proposal is to install the new V2G charger beside my existing unit so would mean two cars can charge at same time but only one can be used to export back to the grid /home.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Potentially @Snaffalot but my car is rarely at home in the day as both my wife and I use it for work. perhaps our personal use case is just not a good candidate.
Might be a good thing...
-Your solar would be largely exported for a great rate
-then get home plug in the car to export from that at peak hours
-then charge the car in the wee hours at the import rate

·
Registered
214 Posts
A confirmation of whether or not you can use multiple 30kwh leafs on this trial would be useful.

I'm planning on having two leafs, one for me and one for my wife and only being able to use one for v2g is very limiting

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
The import rate will vary based on location. OVO signup process will show what it is for you.

This V2G sounds very interesting to be so I went to OVO for a quote...

They have quoted me 18.23p kWh for day and 10.59p kWh for night with a standing charge of 28.77p per day.

Ouch!

With my current supplier I am paying 15.73p kWh for day and 8.15p kWh for night with a standing charge of 20.44p per day

That would increase my bill by around £23 per month. :eek:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
This V2G sounds very interesting to be so I went to OVO for a quote...

They have quoted me 18.23p kWh for day and 10.59p kWh for night with a standing charge of 28.77p per day.

Ouch!

With my current supplier I am paying 15.73p kWh for day and 8.15p kWh for night with a standing charge of 20.44p per day

That would increase my bill by around £23 per month. :eek:
Is that on the 2 year fixed?

41 - 60 of 115 Posts
About this Discussion
114 Replies
21 Participants
Hermit Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing