Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I spoke to OVO Monday they said it's only one Leaf. It's linked to the cars VIN somehow.
That said the proposal is to install the new V2G charger beside my existing unit so would mean two cars can charge at same time but only one can be used to export back to the grid /home.
yeah only one of my ev's would really be home during the peak feed back I think so it could do with being smart enough for multiple designated vehicles if it isn't already. also lets be clear I don't have two yet

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is that on the 2 year fixed?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Is that on the 2 year fixed?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Hi Mike,
Yes, using your link that's the tariff I am quoted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This V2G sounds very interesting to be so I went to OVO for a quote...

They have quoted me 18.23p kWh for day and 10.59p kWh for night with a standing charge of 28.77p per day.

Ouch!

With my current supplier I am paying 15.73p kWh for day and 8.15p kWh for night with a standing charge of 20.44p per day

That would increase my bill by around £23 per month. :eek:
That's not the V2G tariff. OVO told me that they currently cannot do V2G in combination with economy 7, though it's on the to do list.

I tried but couldn't really make it all add up for me at the rates quoted. Exporting back to grid at 30p/kWh, more or less makes up for the higher prices. In theory a small saving for me.
There's a speculative element to estimating the variable payback you'd get. It could work out well if you're car can be sitting plugged in a lot, it's kinda guesswork though, which is I suppose why there needs to be a trial...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wonder whether if you factor in the fact that you are getting a chademo based charger for a pound/penny after the 2 years whether that would tip the balance on cost benefit. my 2011 leaf can only charge at 3.6kw but through chademo its whatever the onboard inverter in the wall box is capable of. Plus it increases the benefit of my existing solar install. Like you said @BornAgainEcoWarrior its kinda guesswork

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I work out if it’s worth it? I can see that switching to Ovo will be dearer, but I don’t know how many kWh they’ll buy back. Confused! :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I wonder whether if you factor in the fact that you are getting a chademo based charger for a pound/penny after the 2 years whether that would tip the balance on cost benefit. my 2011 leaf can only charge at 3.6kw but through chademo its whatever the onboard inverter in the wall box is capable of. Plus it increases the benefit of my existing solar install. Like you said @BornAgainEcoWarrior its kinda guesswork
Yes saving £300 on a charger would be a big help for those who didn't already have one.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yes saving £300 on a charger would be a big help for those who didn't already have one.
Home CHADeMo under 3k is a good deal with or without V2G at the end of the trial. Especially those who don't have 6.6kW charger.

Hint hint @Mike Schooling feel free to sent one my way

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
248 Posts
How do I work out if it’s worth it? I can see that switching to Ovo will be dearer, but I don’t know how many kWh they’ll buy back. Confused! :)
OVO have a calculator that does the maths. They didn't share details though.
We get some clues.
They ask how often you can plug car in between 4-7pm.
The unit can export at a max of 5.7kwh...
So you might guess an export of 10kwh per day if you can be plugged in for 2 hours of peak time each day. That's probably pessimistic as export will also happen at other times.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To be honest I'm still tempted even though I have a pretty weak case based on my numbers. OVO are being quite generous when you take into account the free charger install and the high export rates. It's worth considering the economics from their end too. They are a business not a charity.

If there was a clear route to using the charger after the trial for anything more than dumb charging then I'd probably take one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
To be honest I'm still tempted even though I have a pretty weak case based on my numbers. OVO are being quite generous when you take into account the free charger install and the high export rates. It's worth considering the economics from their end too. They are a business not a charity.

If there was a clear route to using the charger after the trial for anything more than dumb charging then I'd probably take one.
I think this is the important thing. If you are "buying" the charger, even for a penny, it should have full functionality as a v2g unit.

Even if its just a physical programmable timer you can set import, export and net zero times or a webpage ovo hosts at the end.

If the export rate at the end drops to 0p/kwh and you set it to export thats your problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think this is the important thing. If you are "buying" the charger, even for a penny, it should have full functionality as a v2g unit.

Even if its just a physical programmable timer you can set import, export and net zero times or a webpage ovo hosts at the end.

If the export rate at the end drops to 0p/kwh and you set it to export thats your problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That could still leave V2H use possible even with a 0 export rate.

·
Vendor
14 Posts
Morning @Arf - Ollie and Sean from our V2G team are available to discuss the trial in further detail - you can give them a ring on 0330 102 7423, or email on [email protected]

Hi @BornAgainEcoWarrior - the post-trial plan is as follows:

At the end of the trial you can keep the charger and we'll aim to keep the charger under the control of the Kaluza platform, continuing to function as a V2G charger. If this isn't possible for any reason then we'll explore and explain other options, including the potential of using the charger as a vehicle-to-home unit.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Morning @Arf - Ollie and Sean from our V2G team are available to discuss the trial in further detail - you can give them a ring on 0330 102 7423, or email on [email protected]

At the end of the trial you can keep the charger and we'll aim to keep the charger under the control of the Kaluza platform, continuing to function as a V2G charger. If this isn't possible for any reason then we'll explore and explain other options, including the potential of using the charger as a vehicle-to-home unit.
Damn it!!! you are killing me. The temptation is too strong

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi @Hermit Dave - you can always give Ollie or Sean a call on the number posted above if you want any queries revolved before making the final decision!
Very tempting. It will be at least 50 more a month based on my usage. Dearer on both day time and night time rates though only option is Economy 7. No about smartmeter option

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi @Hermit Dave - you can always give Ollie or Sean a call on the number posted above if you want any queries revolved before making the final decision!
Hi. Any update on 24kwh involvement? I think the warranty is 5 years 60k? I have about 6 months left to run but with a soh in the 90s I would be willing to waive the last 6 months of warranty to take part in the trial.

·
Vendor
14 Posts
Hi. Any update on 24kwh involvement? I think the warranty is 5 years 60k? I have about 6 months left to run but with a soh in the 90s I would be willing to waive the last 6 months of warranty to take part in the trial.
Afternoon @MichaelCantLogIn - we've not got an agreement with Nissan in place yet to cover a 24kWh that's under warranty, but please give us a call or email - Ollie or Sean can talk through the options that are open to you.

Call 0330 102 7423, or email on [email protected]

·
Registered
248 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Sounds promising - still a bit grey but promising. Would V2H involve only soft modifications?

61 - 80 of 115 Posts
About this Discussion
114 Replies
21 Participants
Hermit Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing