Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think it would be a good idea for the various owners groups to get together and try and agree a common etiquette we could all share?

I'm thinking of things like the following:
- Not hogging a slow charger when a better alternative exists nearby
- Talking to people queuing to see if their need is greater than yours
- If you are leaving the car, maybe leaving a note with your number so people could call if they really need it

There would be some differences between makes, but the general principles should be sound. If the owners groups got together, they would probably learn some things from each other, and they could then let all new owners know.

I'm new to this, so shoot me down if you think it is impractical, or has been discussed ad nauseum before.

Obviously there will be some people who either wouldn't see it, or are selfish enough to think it didn't apply to them, but better co-ordination/education has got to be better, surely?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Who's going to be the first to mention PHEVs? :LOL:

Sorry @Nigel Baker there's a long standing tradition that when talking about charger etiquette, someone will mention PHEVs on rapids and it'll turn into a small scale nuclear war flame fest.
I tend to follow the simple "Don't be a dick" protocol. At least I think I do :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It's simple:
- On 50kW+ DC rapid or faster chargers, return to the car before charging speed tapers (usually above 60%, depend on battery), move car away as soon as you have required charge. Treat it like petrol station.
- AC destination charging is first come first serve, doesn't matter type of car and don't need to move the car. Treat it like a car park.

I don't see the need to allow other people to charge before you, how do you decide which need is greater? First come first serve, important thing is to not hog the DC rapid when your speed tapers, where it is often faster to drive to the next rapid charger.
Have a watch on TeslaBjorn youtube channel. He talks about optimum speed and charge tapering a lot. It is key in covering large distances efficiently.

For Tesla, make sure you don't use the Type 2 AC charging cable at a rapid charger. It fits, but you'll only get 11kW. The rapid charger is intended for you to buy a Chademo adaptor, charging at (close to) 50kW.

(no mention of PHEV :p )

·
Registered
36 Posts
- Chademo users should use the Chademo/AC charger when available avoiding the CCS/Chademo/AC charger (pairs of Ecotricity chargers)

- If your ev has the facility to unlock your charging port when charging is complete, use it. In conjunction with -

- Put a note on the dash re the above with your mobile number.

- First come, first served. Can’t see any other way.

- Audi drivers who think charging bays are their personal parking slots (Gloucester North) may be shot.

- PHEVs to be pushed over a cliff into the ocean where they belong.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
It all went wrong when you used the words "charging" and "agree" together ;) :D

Below is resulting book created by SpeakEV members titled "Rules and regulations on how to charge your electric car" :ROFLMAO:

download.jpeg

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
There's two major problems with the OP's concept here:
  • There are too many special situations and grey areas for a single snappy set of guidelines to cover it all. And if you can't make it a small set of memorable rules, then you are just saying "be reasonable" which doesn't get you very far.
  • The sort of people who would take interest in and respect your guidelines are the sort of people who would try to be reasonable and helpful anyhow. It's the people who would never read your guidelines that are the biggest problem.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,223 Posts
I would imagine most owners groups have a similar ethos, I know the Zoe one does (and have seen one shared and shamed for inconsiderate usage in there as recently as yesterday)

I think most of it boils down to being considerate of others and using common sense. That might even work the other way, in that you're at a set of 2 rapids in the arse end of nowhere that sees one car turn up in a month with the other one free, and reasonably get away with leaving it for an hour (with your number just in case) but at a busy spot should not really leave your car at all. Or it could mean that if you're in an area with no rapid charger for several miles but 22kW in a car park and might put a little bit of thought into whether there are enough available to get someone going who is relying on destination as a 'semi rapid' (Zoes for instance, lol, or anyone caught short) and at least leave a number as a courtesy. Most of the time of course car parks have plenty and people aren't using them as semi-rapid so it's nothing to worry about and you can just dump the car and shop your heart out.

Ultimately though humans are humans - there are so many of them who don't give two hoots about other people that they have a profound impact that outweighs the efforts of the considerate. So the only solutions that are likely to really work as we grow beyond little owners groups (where everyone knows everyone else and 50 people limp if you kick anyone), are based around formal rules, enforcement/fines and expanding so that chargers aren't a scarce resource that everyone is fighting for.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The EV Association Scotland have a very good charging guide booklet with a bit on suggested etiquette that many people are hoping/trying to get distributed with all new EVs that are sold.

Their membership pack also has a charging disk you can display in the front of the car with your estimated time of return and a code people can text to ask if you can move your car (a bit like charge bump, I think), so you don't need to leave your actual mobile number on display.

If you're in Scotland I think it's a well spent £12/year. They are invited regularly to meetings with Transport Scotland, so there is also potential to attempt to influence strategy at a national level.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,296 Posts
EVA send their members charging discs to place in their cars which encourages charger hogging. You park up, and then expect someone will contact you to bump you. Nah, charge, move, simple. Don't park all day because you think your not hogging because no one bumped you.

Personally I charge and move on Rapids, never leaving car for more than 30mins. On destination chargers I only use them if I NEED the charge to carry on my journey/get home. No point at all in the "use it or lose it" movement, use it if you need it, don't if you don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apologies for the late response. I expected thread notifications, and didn’t get any.

I can see the sense in all the replies, but while there are a million special cases, the biggest problems are that if you are charging no-one else understands your need, and you also don’t understand the needs of those either waiting, or who might be en-route.

Without more education and information sharing, people won’t understand how dickish they are being, so even the “don’t be a dick” ethos doesn’t work.

Anyway, I’ve learned some things from this, even if nobody else has, so thanks for that.

·
Super Moderator
5,745 Posts
- Chademo users should use the Chademo/AC charger when available avoiding the CCS/Chademo/AC charger (pairs of Ecotricity chargers)

- If your ev has the facility to unlock your charging port when charging is complete, use it. In conjunction with -

- First come, first served. Can’t see any other way.

- Audi drivers who think charging bays are their personal parking slots (Gloucester North) may be shot.

- PHEVs to be pushed over a cliff into the ocean where they belong.
Most Ecotricity rapids have either charging for ie a LEAF one one side and a Zoe on the other or a BMW one side and a LEAF the other. Which one should a LEAF driver avoid as I have looked into my crystal ball and it doesn’t show which car will turn up after the charger has started

·
Registered
995 Posts
Most Ecotricity rapids have either charging for ie a LEAF one one side and a Zoe on the other or a BMW one side and a LEAF the other. Which one should a LEAF driver avoid as I have looked into my crystal ball and it doesn’t show which car will turn up after the charger has started
Many have 3 chargers, 2xAC, 1x CCS, so choose 1 A.C.

·
Super Moderator
5,745 Posts
Many have 3 chargers, 2xAC, 1x CCS, so choose 1 A.C.
Never used a 3 bay but in that case I would pick the best option. Thats unless 1 bay is being used, in which case we are still back to the situation I outlined. Plus how would anyone know what the charger situation was once I have started charging and others have come back and left?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m so glad I found this thread. I always believed that it is wrong for anyone to unplug someone’s car because you feel like your needs are greater unless the other vehicle is done charging and the owner has not returned, ESPECIALLY at a DC. So, I did this today and the BMW i3 occupying the charger was at 100% so I politely unplugged their car and closed their cap for them. Ten minutes later, I was notified that my car was done charging which was odd because I only had 10%. And someone had beat up my car with the charging cable!!

I don’t think I was wrong, and even if I was this is literally vandalism. So I just want you all to be aware that we are paving etiquette and everyone should abide by these rules but please just be careful! You might tick off someone :(

Attachments

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,367 Posts
That's disgusting. Makes my blood boil and go cold at the same time.

Was it a free charger or would the owner of the charger have a record of who that was?

I trust you have relayed that detail to the Police? Where are you located?

(My 'like' is just a sympathy vote in your support.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your sympathy. I filed a police report in corona, ca and an officer was going to review security footage in the shopping center and then hopefully EVgo will release the information of the owner who was responsible if he was the culprit which I assuming they are. Hopefully they catch them, if not karma will serve them well!

·
Registered
147 Posts

Sensible advice and easy to follow...I can understand the concern about sharing mobile phone numbers but I struggle to see how a service hiding contact details will ever achieve enough take up to be useful. I've got a laminated sheet with a brief message including my phone number to display if I do need to be away from a rapid charger. However ultimately this is all early adopter / growing pain stuff, soon we will have plenty of charging location choices at sufficient speed that we don't need to worry...

I’m so glad I found this thread. I always believed that it is wrong for anyone to unplug someone’s car because you feel like your needs are greater unless the other vehicle is done charging and the owner has not returned, ESPECIALLY at a DC..... And someone had beat up my car with the charging cable!!
Appalling, and a frightening experience - hopefully justice will be served quickly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts