Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,330 Posts
I don't know what the book figures for the BMW are... is it 68mpg? If it is then in my experience you would be lucky to see more than 50 on a regular basis unless on a run at sensible speeds and a light right foot.

For planning purposes I would use a figure near 75% of the combined as a starting point.

Remember, an ICE, either petrol or diesel, will return horrible figures until warmed up. Think 10-15mpg for a car with book figures of 45mpg! So, if you are doing a lot of short journeys the saving that are possible with an Ampera are significantly greater than you might imagine by looking at purely at book figures. Book figures are hardly ever achieveable in reality.

· Registered
9,330 Posts
This is something I have been saying about the resale values.

The Nissan Leaf has only been out a year or so in the UK and resale values are already down to 70% but I think this is not a true representation of their value. The resale value is low right now because demand is low... basically, so few people are buying them. This will change. Once people start buying the Leaf in significant numbers the word will get out about how good EVs actually are and secondhand values with start to stabalise. Then, as these cars get a bit older and people start to realise that maintenence costs are way down and that the battery is lasting, so the will start to actually rise.

I believe that a 3 or 4 year old Ampera could be worth on the market a lot more in percentage terms as a ICE.

I fly in the ointment is any price reductions that we see in the price of a new car. As new car proces fall so will the secondhand prices. I know prices will fall, they must if they want to sell these cars to the masses, but by how much and when is anyone's guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.