Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,771 Posts
The Standard Error is to assume that you will achieve the quoted 68mpg figure for the BMW and that you will drive in that manner every day. I enjoy driving too much to have bought an asthmatic limp econovariant. Now I'm first away from the lights guilt free.. and cash rich.. (my lifetime MPG is just over 100mpg, for the last two weeks).. If you drive through a city, it's impossible to achieve the quoted figures with all the stop starts, shifting to L and upping the regenerative does work well for short stop starts...

Sport Mode, Engage! (As a certain VO Artist would say)

P.

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Rich, I Just spotted an error in your Electric Costs Calculation on your spreadsheet.

For the 6hr charge, the car draws 10A at 240V, 2400W*6hr = 14kWh (rounded down as uk mains is actually closer to 230v now)
at your tariff of £0.11 per kWh that would cost you £1.54
if you had eco7 at £0.06/kWh that would be £0.84

Also as I understand it the amount of power the car needs to charge does not increase as you have shown year on year, only the price of the electricity would rise each year.

You might want to consider the residuals on the Ampera verses the BMW at +5 years, they could easily make your 2k difference go away.

If you wait a few months you might be able to pick up a 2 month old Ampera to make a proper comparison with the 2 month old BMW, Ampera dealers do have demo cars that will be coming round for sale soon.

I am intending to keep the Ampera for 8 years as that's the only way it really works for me, fortunately the warranty also lasts that long! which is something you may also want to consider.

Finally the last issue is how you would cope if there were another fuel protest/scare. (do you want smugs or regrets?)

P.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.