Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Zoe since September and, thankfully, haven't been plagued by the difficulties some others on this forum have had. Whilst teething troubles are, perhaps to be expected with something as new as Zoe, I agree that the customer service at Renault UK is terrible - it lets them down completely. I've only had need to get in contact with them once (about activating my R-link properly). We got there in the end, but it took too many calls and too much hassle for my liking. I was left wondering how they ever managed to get it together to make cars, never mind such a good one as the Zoe. My local dealer is pretty good though - particularly that I was the first Zoe that they's sold, so they were needing to learn as they went. The sad thing is that even they don't have much good to say about Renault HQ...

As for owning a Zoe - for me, it couldn't be better. I bought the car to replace the family's second car - used mainly for local running around. But I like the Zoe so much (and the growing rapid charging network) that I now use this car all the time, including for much longer trips. I can't remember when I last drove our diesel (which is now labelled as the wife's car).

You guys have picked up on my trip to Nottingham already. I've done many more long trips since - Chepstow was the most recent, and before that Worthing.

http://myrenaultzoe.com/index.php/2014/04/more-long-distance-in-zoe-520-miles-in-a-weekend/
http://myrenaultzoe.com/index.php/2014/03/north-yorkshire-to-worthing-340-miles-in-a-day/

Long distance in Zoe is easy, the range is impressive and its a great drive. I don't think I'm alone in liking my Zoe, so just thought I'd offer another perspective to the forum....

·
Registered
28 Posts
As one of the posters who's been having teething problems, I'm encouraged that you've had such success. I rarely need to do long journeys these days but would like the option. Until Renault sort out my Zoe's inability to rapid charge I'm range-restricted.

My dealership is also having issues with Renault HQ, who insisted that they took a brand new Zoe to our nearest rapid charger to try it out, because they didn't trust the Ecotricity charger! Luckily it worked, so they're running out of reasons not to replace the charging socket in mine. I'm looking forward to using my Zoe for longer distances occasionally.

I'm treating all of this as a learning curve for me, Renault and Ecotricity in the hope that we can all get there in the end.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I could almost be tempted with a smaller electric car like the Zoe if it weren't for the battery lease seeming expensive and the fact it comes from Renault. I have never had much luck with French vehicles, and the manufacturers seem to be completely devoid of any customer service skills.
I am impressed with the journeys you have undertaken so far, you seem to be treating it just as any other car, rather than fussing over it like it's special. :)

·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shay - hope it all works out for you soon. The rapid charging really is an essential component. Interestingly I met my first other Zoe on the motorway network the other day (at Woodall services nr Sheffield). He too hadn't been able to get the rapid charging to work (he was using the 22kW charger that's also there - which charges in less than an hour anyway). I encouraged him to persist with the dealer until is was sorted as I think there was a problem with some of the early Zoe's units.
In case you haven't found it already the Trevor Larkum's Zoe-dedicated forum has lots more Zoe users experiences on it - worth a look there as well as here from time to time (http://myrenaultzoe.com/)

·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could almost be tempted with a smaller electric car like the Zoe if it weren't for the battery lease seeming expensive and the fact it comes from Renault. I have never had much luck with French vehicles, and the manufacturers seem to be completely devoid of any customer service skills.
I am impressed with the journeys you have undertaken so far, you seem to be treating it just as any other car, rather than fussing over it like it's special. :)
Lee, you're right the lease is expensive (I'm paying £93 for my £1,000 mile a month arrangement), but I figure that it's still much less than I used to spend on diesel, and the initial purchase cost of the car was more affordable than other EVs.
I am indeed using it just like any other car. The number of charge points around the North East helps a lot in this respect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The dealer took my Zoe up to Leigh Delamere yesterday, only to find that the rapid chargers on both sides were out of order, despite the eastbound one showing up green on Ecotricity's map. This may take some time; unfortunately we don't have many rapid chargers within range of the dealer so they can't risk taking it further afield. They're getting a baptism of fire into EV driving!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
unfortunately we don't have many rapid chargers within range of the dealer so they can't risk taking it further afield.
Maybe they need a range extending flatbed for testing the ZOE rapid charging ;)

If our new house purchase goes through we'll have three phase and can offer you 22kW for testing :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really really hope it will be sorted before that! They made it to Leigh Delamere ok yesterday and - lo! - it doesn't rapid charge! Just what I've been saying, but Renault France made them prove it for themselves. Now they're sending the data to France and we await their decree. So far I am still being VERY PATIENT. ;)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've had my Zoe since September and, thankfully, haven't been plagued by the difficulties some others on this forum have had. Whilst teething troubles are, perhaps to be expected with something as new as Zoe, I agree that the customer service at Renault UK is terrible - it lets them down completely. I've only had need to get in contact with them once (about activating my R-link properly). We got there in the end, but it took too many calls and too much hassle for my liking. I was left wondering how they ever managed to get it together to make cars, never mind such a good one as the Zoe. My local dealer is pretty good though - particularly that I was the first Zoe that they's sold, so they were needing to learn as they went. The sad thing is that even they don't have much good to say about Renault HQ...

As for owning a Zoe - for me, it couldn't be better. I bought the car to replace the family's second car - used mainly for local running around. But I like the Zoe so much (and the growing rapid charging network) that I now use this car all the time, including for much longer trips. I can't remember when I last drove our diesel (which is now labelled as the wife's car).

You guys have picked up on my trip to Nottingham already. I've done many more long trips since - Chepstow was the most recent, and before that Worthing.

http://myrenaultzoe.com/index.php/2014/04/more-long-distance-in-zoe-520-miles-in-a-weekend/
http://myrenaultzoe.com/index.php/2014/03/north-yorkshire-to-worthing-340-miles-in-a-day/

Long distance in Zoe is easy, the range is impressive and its a great drive. I don't think I'm alone in liking my Zoe, so just thought I'd offer another perspective to the forum....
The Zoe is a remarkably relaxing place to be-I swear I'm sleeping better at night since I got my Zoe 3 weeks ago when I finish late at work as I no longer have 80-90db of ICE racket doing my head in on the way home!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts