Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Oxford - charging desert?

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Duncan 
#1 ·
Recently being spending some time in Oxford. I have yet to find a working Type 2. ended up having to drive out to the services Peartree(just one Chademo charger) or Oxford (2 Chademo) . Any help gratefully received - seems to be an issue between the council and New Motion (or as I now call it No Motion) for the Type 2s.

#2 ·
List of charge points in Oxford, Oxfordshire
Westgate Oxford Car Park Westgate
Thames Street
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX1 1TR 45 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes
5 x 22kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes Swarco E.Connect

Car Park Worcester Street
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX1 2BQ 1 x 3kW 13A 3-Square pin
1 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes POLAR

Kineton Street
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX1 4PG 2 x 22kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes NewMotion

West Street
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 0BH 1 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes NewMotion

12 Bevington Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6NB ubitricity

Juxon Street
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6DR 2 x 22kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes NewMotion

Stockmore Street
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX4 1JT 2 x 22kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes NewMotion

Lake Street
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX1 4RR 2 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes NewMotion

1 Alexandra Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 0DD ubitricity

111 Leckford Road
Junction of Woodstock Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6JQ ubitricity

5 Winchester Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6LU ubitricity

6 Winchester Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6LU ubitricity

Tackley Place
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6RR ubitricity

13 Tackley Place
opp. 13
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6RR ubitricity

11 Warnborough Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6RT ubitricity

11 Warnborough Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6RT ubitricity

Tesco 159-161 Cowley Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX4 1UT 1 x 3kW 13A 3-Square pin
1 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes POLAR

1 Farndon Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6RT ubitricity

7 Farndon Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6RS ubitricity

12 Farndon Road
Oxford
Oxfordshire
OX2 6RR ubitricity

#9 · (Edited)
Wasn't Oxford supposed to be the shining example of how it should be done, after receiving a big wodge of public money to prove it?

I said at the time that it was a waste of public money, and that rapid charging hubs with multiple chargers are a better solution. I believe that there are some projects going on along those lines now?

#11 ·
Yes, Go Ultra Low Oxford ran a trial of how different forms of on-street charging performed for people without driveways, and how they compared against home charge points for people with driveways.
The first report was published in November 2019. You'll find the documents here:
https://www.tsu.ox.ac.uk/pubs/2019-GULO-Phase-1-Final-Report.pdf

#12 ·
I saw a Tesla charging on a Podpoint street charger recently. It said '3 hours max' and they now charge 18p/kWh. I mean, really? Seriously, why bother?

I'm really curious, why did you feel a need to find a slow speed charger? Why not use a rapid on your way there or back?

#17 ·
I think they should put lots of 3/7kW posts at the various P&Rs around the city, that would encourage people to use the P&Rs, they could also put some Rapid chargers there as well.
Using lampposts solves these problems. The installation costs are much lower, the charge points are right outside the homes of the people who need them, and they operate right in the middle of 3-7kW, the 5.5 kW sweetspot. So utilisation can be relatively low and people can still access an "at home" charging amenity that makes overnight charging convenient.

#16 ·
Someone from the council needs to contact Ecotricity and ask when Pear Tree will support CCS, its quite an important location and if they can't be bothered then they should make way for someone who is, it would make a cracking charging hub site like the one they installed in Banbury.

I'm not a fan of supermarket chargers because as EV's become more prevalent then the chargers will constantly be in use, mainly by people that have driven less than 10 miles to get their, I also think that the chargers should not be free to discourage unnecessary usage.

#22 ·
Oxford Science Park near Littlemore has some 22kW Pod-point chargers (6 sockets outside the Schrodinger building and 2 outside the Magdalen centre). There won't be much competition at the moment as we're all working from home.

#25 ·
Thanks for the suggestion - as you say it’s very quiet down there. Eventually found the 6 by the Schrodinger building - they are shown incorrectly on the Pod-Point map! That will be my goto charging location now, I have a bike so can drop the car and go for a ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.