Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's an article describing a 700 mile drive from Oxfordshire to Edinburgh in a Kia eNiro. The writer says it's a journey he undertakes fairly regularly in his own i.c. cars, but he wanted to discover if it was a viable/practical proposition with charging facilities as they presently are. He had undertaken the journey in a Kona a year previously, and wanted to see/find out if the charging infrastructure had changed or improved.

Well worth a read.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here's an article describing a 700 mile drive from Oxfordshire to Edinburgh in a Kia eNiro. The writer says it's a journey he undertakes fairly regularly in his own i.c. cars, but he wanted to discover if it was a viable/practical proposition with charging facilities as they presently are. He had undertaken the journey in a Kona a year previously, and wanted to see/find out if the charging infrastructure had changed or improved.

Well worth a read.....
Good read and clearly a lot better this year. Which is good. At the risk of sounding churlish though - is it that much to get excited about? I've done several 4-500 mile days, I didn't realise I was a pioneer - yes, it takes some planning, but generally just get in and go. Must start bragging about it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well maybe there's no need to get excited electricdriver, but nevertheless there are still people out there whom firmly believe this length of journey is totally impractical and not really possible. I actually have one as a friend. He is of the opinion that electric cars simply will not catch on, and that the drive battery is knackered after 4 or 5 years. When I pointed out that most if not all EV makers offer an 8 year warranty with the battery he was clearly shocked. He was also rather astonished when I told him there are already long waiting lists for most of the more popular electric cars, and that residual values of good used examples have almost all risen in the last year or so.........

That said, articles such as the one here aren't likely to be read by the EV doubters....... Still, give it 10 years or so and all the doubt you can muster still won't get you into a new i.c. car of any sort..........

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,381 Posts
There's a newish hub at Junction 34 on the M6 that might appeal to the writer of the article.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take it you mean the Tesco chargers at Carnforth?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,892 Posts
Would someone like to highlight the salient conclusions?

The link given won't work in a year or two and then there's no point saying 'just read the article' if that is what you're thinking of replying to me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Would someone like to highlight the salient conclusions?

The link given won't work in a year or two and then there's no point saying 'just read the article' if that is what you're thinking of replying to me.
Man drove a long way last year. It was a bit of a disaster as most of the Ecotricity chargers didn't work. He was a bit nervous about doing it again this year, but it was fine. He used ZapMap to plan and charged at Ecotricity, Polar and CPS chargers. They all worked. He took a puppy with him. The Kia e-Niro is a good car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
electricdriver
Forgive me for saying this, but your posts reads as though all the chargers worked ok because he took a puppy with him.......:)

Dogged determination perhaps?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the chargers don't work when you need them donald, then it'll probably be because you chose a shitzu.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts