Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Ive been searching around for some guidance on this, basically.
The OZEV Grant for private houseowners ends march 2022 (with some exceptions), so when this happens and a grant claim is not available will the other criteria (ie private driveway, proof of ownership etc) also disappear?

Point Im trying to make is that I could presumably employ a qualified electrician to install a charge point on my property without having to prove I have my own parking space etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When it ends people with houses will just need to pay full price but you won't need to do any box ticking that the grant required.

The spark shouldn't let you do silly things though, but if you said I want a charging point on this wall that's what you'd get. You wouldn't have to prove that's your spot or wall but the spark would probably question if that was your neighbors wall or drive ;)

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
At the moment, people without driveways or private parking can get a charge point installed. There's nothing in the regs to stop this, it's purely a government grant condition. I know of several installations on houses that don't have off-street parking, no problem at all in terms of the legality of the installation, the only issues are around how cables are run across public paths or other people's land, and that's nothing to do with the charge point electrical installation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your sensible replies. I expect some installers may be grateful for the ending of grant claims so they dont have to provide all the information..

Does anyone have experience of doing "free" installs for car/lease companies? Ive been offered a free charge point as part of a lease, but I cant get the lease co (tusker) to tell me if its still free after March 22.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,370 Posts
Thanks both for your sensible replies. I expect some installers may be grateful for the ending of grant claims so they dont have to provide all the information..

Does anyone have experience of doing "free" installs for car/lease companies? Ive been offered a free charge point as part of a lease, but I cant get the lease co (tusker) to tell me if its still free after March 22.
Check their terms, if it doesn't mention the grant I'd be looking to hold them to it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
As well as this being the year the grant ends for private householders, it’s also the year it becomes illegal to sell chargepoints that aren’t smart.

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
At least with the grant scheme there was a record of who had a charging point installed and OZEV did audit some of the installs. Sadly the results weren't great (I posted in another thread about it) but at least it was a known. Moving forward there is a risk the quality of installs could drop again and is an unknown.

For a while I have thought that the best way to encourage proper charging points to be installed is to require the EV dealer to include a voucher that can be used towards cost of install (at the registered keepers address). For those who couldn't have one installed, the value could be used for public or residential charging.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,460 Posts
As well as this being the year the grant ends for private householders, it’s also the year it becomes illegal to sell chargepoints that aren’t smart.

To me this is the most significant change. The grant was always optional, this is mandatory. The change will allow the networks to control charging times and rates, which could be in benign ways like Intelligent Octopus or demand management resulting in the worst case uncharged vehicles.
And once again, the costs are being passed onto the consumer without quantified benefits or any understanding of how the system will be maintained. I would be amazed if 50% of "smart" meters over 3 years old still actually communicate back to base.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I would actively want the dumbest charger I could get. I just want to plug in my car and that’s it. Any scheduling can all be done by the car, so I don’t want failed charges because the blimmin charger “couldn’t communicate with the mothership” or other nonsense. It’s control gone mad.

Good reason to fit a 32a commando socket instead to my mind.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have to say I’m conflicted on this. As an Electrical Engineer it makes perfect sense to be able to control what is eventually going to be a very large demand on the grid but as an EV owner I want (and have) a dumb charger.

The smart meter rollout should serve as a warning. It is late, fraught with complication, involves too many parties and ultimately isn’t really delivering its intended outcome. To most users none of that matters, you still get electricity supplied to your home and you can get billed for it.

Translate that to remotely controlled charging and the impact on users in terms of missed charging or charging out of cheap hours is much greater. That said, the regulations are only for the equipment. I predict it will take years for the government or the electricity industry to work out how to gain control of all of those units or even to work out where they all are.

Take comfort from Regulation 7 which says: “A relevant charge point must be configured so that, in the event that it ceases to be connected to a communications network, it remains capable of charging an electric vehicle.” So you can opt out of control just by removing the comms.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (soon...)
240 Posts
Take comfort from Regulation 7 which says: “A relevant charge point must be configured so that, in the event that it ceases to be connected to a communications network, it remains capable of charging an electric vehicle.” So you can opt out of control just by removing the comms.
Yup, and if the govt ever mess about too much with it, I will just block my Zappi from having internet access and use it dumb. I'm all for DSR if it has a minimal impact on the cars charging. I assume they will end up incentivising DSR so that those that are happy to have their charging messed with can have a lower rate. What you'd hope is enough people do it so that the impact on any one car isnt noticeable.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Intelligent Octopus is a good model. You get guarantee cheap charging, you just don’t know exactly when. Given most people sleep for longer than they charge it should be unnoticeable.

·
Registered
eNiro 4, Zoe 135 GT RC
517 Posts
I would actively want the dumbest charger I could get. I just want to plug in my car and that’s it. Any scheduling can all be done by the car, so I don’t want failed charges because the blimmin charger “couldn’t communicate with the mothership” or other nonsense. It’s control gone mad.

Good reason to fit a 32a commando socket instead to my mind.
Can you help educate me, will a 32a Commando to type 2 “do the job”
Like you, Im happy for the ultimate dumbness

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
With the right adapters, I believe so

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
And as long ass the Commando is installed in accordance with the regs, so with open PEN fault protection and DC tolerant earth leakage protection. This is easy to do with something like the Viridian connection box. The only other thing is that the Commando must be one of the interlocked type, so the plug cannot be removed when under load.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With this being a case I don't know why you would bother with a switched commando, earth rod and parts and then buying a ~£300 cable.

You could get a Hypervolt for not much more and simply block or unplug the ethernet port if the government tried it on in future of wanting to see what it was using. I don't see it happening anytime soon. More likely they'll switch to mileage based tax which should be trivial compared.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Interestingly to see how the definition the applies to a mode 2 charging cable is interpreted. The regulations apply to “a device intended for charging a vehicle that is capable of being propelled by electrical power derived from a storage battery” but not to “an electrical cable which is a charge point but which is not able to send and receive information”

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If I can get a box I can disconnect from the internet, and switch it to “always on” or just switch it “on” or “off” I’m happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts