Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently sitting here in Orkney, thinking "we just made that".
My original plan was to set off at a reasonable hour and make the evening ferry crossing at Gills bay to st Margaret's Hope, but a last minute change decided by my other half, we would go for the 13:30 crossing.
So setting off at 5:30 with 95% charge was the first mistake.
Fife central Scotland to kingussie rapid charger was Just doable looking at the stats. The reality was we tried the rapid at newtonmore, which was out of order :( slowly trundling on to kingussie with zero charge left we just made it to the charger as the car cut out 馃槼.
Top up to 80% a quick breakfast and onwards to Inverness. A quick top up here again to 80% then onwards to Helmsdale. Arrived at Helmsdale with around 8%. In hindsight we should have stayed on the charger another 10-15 minutes but we needed to make the ferry at 13:30, and the sat Nov ETA was 13:03. So unplugged and headed off. Now the road to gills bay from Helmsdale isn't flat and to top that we had a brisk head wind. Kept the speed at 55 to max the economy. We made it to the ferry at 13:01 yet again with the last 4 miles at 0% charge 馃槼 we parked at the rapid and plugged in. Casually walking towards the ferry staff asking what time was boarding? He replied "Now". We were leaving the car at the ferry port as we have our bikes with us, so a quick pull out and build up of the bikes, unplug the car which had managed 4% and park it up, the onto the ferry.
So we are now in Orkney for a week's cycling and camping, returning to the leaf which I hope will still have 4% charge when we get back 馃榾馃毚

Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
Hmm. I'd plan for it being dead as a dodo when you get back. Especially if the weather turns colder. The 12v may be flat as well. You may be lucky but with battery that low on a warm battery and being left a week I think it will be a Norwegian Blue on your return.

Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
Wasn鈥檛 the Norwegian Blue the type of Parrot in the Monty Python sketch, the bird with a nice plumage, but nailed to the perch :), I diverse.
At zero percent, there is 3.5 Kwh left in the battery so in reality, as it is saying 4%, may be 5Kwh left, very close run thing, after a week might just have enough left to turtle to the charger, good luck I have my fingers crossed.

Registered
I'm currently sitting here in Orkney, thinking "we just made that".
My original plan was to set off at a reasonable hour and make the evening ferry crossing at Gills bay to st Margaret's Hope, but a last minute change decided by my other half, we would go for the 13:30 crossing.
So setting off at 5:30 with 95% charge was the first mistake.
Fife central Scotland to kingussie rapid charger was Just doable looking at the stats. The reality was we tried the rapid at newtonmore, which was out of order :( slowly trundling on to kingussie with zero charge left we just made it to the charger as the car cut out 馃槼.
Top up to 80% a quick breakfast and onwards to Inverness. A quick top up here again to 80% then onwards to Helmsdale. Arrived at Helmsdale with around 8%. In hindsight we should have stayed on the charger another 10-15 minutes but we needed to make the ferry at 13:30, and the sat Nov ETA was 13:03. So unplugged and headed off. Now the road to gills bay from Helmsdale isn't flat and to top that we had a brisk head wind. Kept the speed at 55 to max the economy. We made it to the ferry at 13:01 yet again with the last 4 miles at 0% charge 馃槼 we parked at the rapid and plugged in. Casually walking towards the ferry staff asking what time was boarding? He replied "Now". We were leaving the car at the ferry port as we have our bikes with us, so a quick pull out and build up of the bikes, unplug the car which had managed 4% and park it up, the onto the ferry.
So we are now in Orkney for a week's cycling and camping, returning to the leaf which I hope will still have 4% charge when we get back 馃榾馃毚
... 馃ぃ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts